Windows 7 Windows 7 Install Fails: uninstall non-installed Trend Micro 2008

JackK

Running Vista Home Premium X64 and trying to install Windows 7 Home Premium X64. The install fails the installer's compatibility test with the message

"The following issues are preventing Windows from upgrading.
Cancel the upgrade, complete each task, and
then restart the upgrade to continue.

For these items, make the following changes:
Uninstall these programs. Open Control Panel and search for "uninstall a program".
Trend Micro Internet Security 2008 "

However, Trend Micro Internet Security was uninstalled from this computer at least a year ago and I can find no evidence of any shreds of it being present - not in the programs list, not in the file system and not in the registry. And, yes, I've run CCcleaner to fix registry problems too.

I'm dead in the water with this Windows 7 installation. Any ideas - PLEASE?

Thanks!

Hey JackK, welcome to the forums.
Give the Link Removed due to 404 Errora try and see if it has any better luck in getting rid of any remnants.
Regards
Randy

Thanks, Randy, but I should have mentioned that I'd already done that too. I'm really pulling my hair out over this and I don't actually have enough hair to give up this way! Any other ideas?

You havnt mentioned if you have checked this or not ,

id have a look in c:/prog files/ to see if the folder for that program exists?

Kaos, thanks for the suggestion but there is no Trend Micro folder in either Programs or Programs (x86).

Any other ideas - please?

Thanks, Randy, but I should have mentioned that I'd already done that too. I'm really pulling my hair out over this and I don't actually have enough hair to give up this way! Any other ideas?
I would suggest using some software that might help you find the remnant. Hopefully it's a driver file of some sort that the install is picking up as currently running.
DriverView might be one that may help. Additionally, AutoRuns, Process Explorer, Process Monitor as well as even something like HijackThis, might help.

AV programs have a habit of leaving troublesome things behind after uninstalling. Most makers have a cleanup tool and it's always a good idea to run it before installing a different one.
Joe

Back