Windows 7 Windows 7 installation headache.

mehaly

Hey there all I am new to the forum, well specifically because I don't know where to turn. I have an HP Desktop model A6614F with AMD Phenom x4 9500, 7GB or RAM, 640GB harddrive, Nvidia GTX260, and a 550W PSU.

Now I had a hell of a time getting Windows 7 Pro 64 bit to install originally going from Vista home premium 64bit, but I finally got it installed and then it would lock up all the time, I got thoroughly fed up and decided to wipe the drive again and start over. Yes I did a clean install the first time. But anyway I downloaded the software from microsoft via digital river and ordered the back up discs which haven't arrived yet.

Now comes the headache that I have been dealing with. So I formatted the drive via the installation menus when installing from an iso. Got as far as to come to the "dancing dots" and lock up, shut it down tried again, this time it went all the way to completing installation after the first reboot, and then froze.
These are the next things that I did in order to try and troubleshoot, graphics card and other problems that maybe causing this.
-removed the GPU, left in the 550W PSU, same thing
-removed the 550W GPU and installed the original, same thing
-removed 3GB of RAM, same thing
-removed all RAM but 2GB, same thing
-redownloaded the ISO and burned using power iso, same thing
-burned another disc with Nero, same thing

And that leaves me where I am at right now, it is stuck on the completing installation after the first reboot with no drive lights flashing, mouse still moves and doesn't lock up, and the NUM LOCK on the keyboard is lit.

There is nothing plugged into the computer but one monitor, using the onboard gpu, PS/2 mouse and keyboard, and ethernet.

I am stuck and I don't know what to do or where to go next. HP tech support is a bunch or nimrods and are useless. I had problems with the original Vista, they told me I should upgrade to 7, I did. Same issues still resided, pretty much or were worse than before, called them back and they proceed to tell me that my warranty is void because I installed 7, WTF!!! They told me to, damn retards. Then they tell me that the download from Microsoft won't work it has to be a disc with the Windows logo on it, good god. I am pretty much fed up. If I had the funds I would just go buy another computer, but this one is 8 months old with a voided warranty. I told them the BIOS needs work, and looking at there forums they aren't going to change the junk that is in there anytime soon.

Please help with anything that you can, this install has gone on for 4 days now, non stop. I need this computer for my home business and it just sucks, I have a back up, but it is slow as hell.

Thanks in advance

Mike

P.S. I am going to let it run for awhile and see if anything changes.

What type of problems did you have with Vista and the first install of Win 7? The fact you were having problems prior would seem to lead to some type of hardware situation.

Can you turn off the network adapter in the Bios until you get the install done?

Have you run the memtest utility?

Any chance of a heat problem?

What type of problems did you have with Vista and the first install of Win 7? The fact you were having problems prior would seem to lead to some type of hardware situation.

Can you turn off the network adapter in the Bios until you get the install done?

Have you run the memtest utility?

Any chance of a heat problem?

Hey there Saltgrass thanks so much for the reply.

The problem with Vista was it would BSOD since the date of purchase, it was random at best, maybe every 4 days or so.
As far as the first install of 7 same thing would happen and it would hang up and have to be hard reset, no amount of time would go by that it would come back, did update from HP for the host controller and that made it lighting fast and then it started locking up again. Then the BSOD's started 0x0000101 Clock interupt on processor 2, then it started to go to processor 4 before I formatted and tried again.
I told HP it sounded like I had a hardware problem, but they told me no way, since everything passes there HP check tools.
I will try the memtest utility again but I am pretty sure that I have run it a few times. I will disable the onboard NIC and see what happens and reply back. Thanks

Mike

Well just did the install again with the NIC disabled and resetting the CMOS and it got really far this time, it is now hung at the welcome screen after the restart after you put in your product key. I will let it sit a bit and see what happens, but I am betting that it is stuck, I have the case open also so cooling isn't an issue or shouldn't be, I even sucked out all of the dust bunnies. It almost sounds like there is something running in the case besides the fan, harddrive maybe? But again no activity light on the from panel that I can see mouse is lockup too.

Mike

Ok I got past that problem, by not putting in product key and picking the let me decide on updates feature and it loaded perfect, now I just have to figure out how to get everything up and running again with crashing. Any advice?

Back
Top Bottom