Windows 7 Windows 7 is stuck on a blue wallpaper with a bird

SANDWICHMASTA

Hi there, i recently have bought a Acer Aspire 7552g laptop, and it was running just fine until a few moments ago. i left it on and took off for about 5 hours, and i come back and its stuck on a blue screen with a white bird and green leafs. i have never seen this before. ive tried manually shutting it down (holding the power button) and restarting it several times, to no avail, then i tried starting it in safe mode, it gets about halfway through i suppose and the flashes a blue screen and starts all over.

I have absolutely no idea what could have happened here. it was working fine when i left and i come back to this, ive only had it for 2 months or so, so to see it fouling up already is extremely worrisome. Please, any help you can throw my way would be great!

You have given the right information, but now it is time to go a step further. Here are some tips to think about with blue screens:

Do you think it is possible to get to c:\windows\minidump\ before the system crashes again, and get the .dmp files in that folder? Hand them off to a USB flash drive or e-mail them to yourself? Post them here? These are memory dump files, which allow for diagnosis of the problem in the most direct way through Crash Dump Analysis.

Did anything in the environment of your computer change prior to this happening? As you have said, you've only had the computer for two months, and during this time frame, if anything is going to go wrong, it would go wrong early into ownership. When thinking about any notable changes, please think about whether or not you installed a new software program, made a change that might have seemed arbitrary at the time, etc. For example, did you just install new anti-virus or firewall? Did you see something strange on the screen and become dismissive of it prior to this happening? If you can think of something specific, this will help us come up with a better hypothesis of what is going on.

Are you able to collect, remember, or even take a photograph of the blue screen message, as it appears, on the screen? This would be helpful in that we can understand what this "bird" is. I for one have never heard of such a thing, it certainly is not part of the Windows programming, to my knowledge, and you should not be seeing a "bird" in a BSOD. What is most important will be the error code and stop code, as well as any file references being made in the message.

BSODs are crash dumps, and are a way of the system telling you exactly why its crashing, before it actually does. Its the last message saying, "Here's what made me crash" and this information is outputted to c:\windows\minidump. Specific tools are used for analysis of these files, but information on the screen itself, including the STOP code and error message could be very valuable, especially since you cannot get into the computer.

We should not start to jump to conclusions about what is wrong until we can get more information firsthand. If any drivers were updated, and so on, try booting up with F8 and using "Last Known Good Configuration". The fact that you are getting them in safe mode is not a good sign. More information is needed to determine a course of action, but you may want to try contacting your computer manufacturer. At 2 months in, you are may be covered with an extensive warranty on the system. Please see if you can provide this information, as I now move this to our BSOD forum.

I've tried starting it up several times in several ways, including "last known good configuration". Nothing i have done recently could have caused this to my knowledge, i do have several programs installed, but nothing has been installed recently. As I've said, its a wallpaper with a bird and leaves heres a picture

Link Removed - Invalid URL

it actually has nothing to do with a BSoD. its just stuck on this picture in a low resolution. The cursor works and loads for a second, but doesnt go anywhere. But it flashes a blue screen (that i cannot read anything on, im not sure if anythings even on it, its just a blue flash) when i boot it into safe mode, its gets to "LOADED: windows/driver/atipcie.sys", flashes a blue screen, and then goes back to restarting. I would give you a copy of this file you're referring to, however, since i cannot get it past this screen, i have no idea how i would access it.

I have contacted acer, and my product is in warranty, i was hoping i would be able to solve this however without losing the contents of my harddrive. I've actually tried re-installing W7 off the back up partition, however its hangs on the "Please wait a moment..." screen and never goes anywhere.

safe mode, its gets to "LOADED: windows/driver/atipcie.sys", flashes a blue screen, and then goes back to restarting. I would give you a copy of this file you're referring to, however, since i cannot get it past this screen, i have no idea how i would access it.

Atipcie.sys is ATI PCIE chipset driver. The problem could be in the driver itself (corrupted or outdated), or I'm afraid it could be something with your motherboard.

If you can't boot even in safe mode, then reformat and clean install. Or you could try renaming atipcie.sys to .old using 7 DVD (> Repair > Command prompt) or something like Link Removed - Invalid URL.

Upgrading bios to the latest would be a plus.

Also try system repair with 7 DVD.

Hmmm. Well it says it has loaded that sys file, so it may be the one after it or maybe that one itself, however, i do not have a W7 dvd as it came preinstalled. If i were to get my hands on one, does it have an option to repair windows winth out wiping the harddrive? If not, I may as well send it back to acer and have them do their thing.

And how would i use that boot cd? Burn it onto a black cdr and pop it in my laptop?

I've tried starting it up several times in several ways, including "last known good configuration". Nothing i have done recently could have caused this to my knowledge, i do have several programs installed, but nothing has been installed recently.

Your crash dumps could shed some light. C:\Windows\Minidump

Let's try this way first:

1. System repair with Windows 7 System Recovery Discs

2. Boot that recovery CD, repair system, command prompt:

chkdsk /f
sfc /scannow

Back