Windows 7 windows 7 key doesnt work

sviridovt

Hi,

I ve purchased windows 7 ultimate upgrade and installed it but when it came to activation the key that came with my w7 cd is invalid please help
Tim

Hi,

I ve purchased windows 7 ultimate upgrade and installed it but when it came to activation the key that came with my w7 cd is invalid please help
Tim

You must be typing it wrong.... or you have tried to install the Pro or Ultimate version with a Preminum key?

It sounds like you are trying to install an upgrade version on a clean disk/i.e. without a prior version of Windows installed. Unlike XP, which simply asked to scan a previous windows disk to verify eligibility for the upgrade, it appears Windows 7 actually insists on being installed on a disk with a prior version already installed.

I had the same problem last night. I got a terabyte hard drive since I had to do a new install. Initially I installed my upgrade Home Premium 64bit OS on the clean disk, only to be told that my key was invalid. I checked and re-checked the key. Even though each time it appeared to be correct, I re-entered it like 5 times with no success. This surprised me greatly, because I have the family pack, and had already installed it on my first machine with the same key with no problem. Customer service was closed, so I took a gamble, reinstalled XP after a clean format, then installed Windows 7 and validated with the same key with no problem.

I was severely (are you listening Microsoft) angry at my waste of time since it worked with XP. It seemed like a technological step back, and a much more complicated way of completing the task than Windows XP. I suppose they are doing it for Security purposes since it so easy to burn a great bootleg, and I know they didn't want to come out and say "hey, despite our roll out hoopla, hey "I'm a PC", Win7 is actually less flexible than XP when installing an upgrade version, but they should find a way to make this apparent to people before they wast their time. Maybe a stuffer in the OS box?????

Sorry about the rant at the end of my answer but GRRRR!

Hope this helped.

It sounds like you are trying to install an upgrade version on a clean disk/i.e. without a prior version of Windows installed. Unlike XP, which simply asked to scan a previous windows disk to verify eligibility for the upgrade, it appears Windows 7 actually insists on being installed on a disk with a prior version already installed.

I had the same problem last night. I got a terabyte hard drive since I had to do a new install. Initially I installed my upgrade Home Premium 64bit OS on the clean disk, only to be told that my key was invalid. I checked and re-checked the key. Even though each time it appeared to be correct, I re-entered it like 5 times with no success. This surprised me greatly, because I have the family pack, and had already installed it on my first machine with the same key with no problem. Customer service was closed, so I took a gamble, reinstalled XP after a clean format, then installed Windows 7 and validated with the same key with no problem.

I was severely (are you listening Microsoft) angry at my waste of time since it worked with XP. It seemed like a technological step back, and a much more complicated way of completing the task than Windows XP. I suppose they are doing it for Security purposes since it so easy to burn a great bootleg, and I know they didn't want to come out and say "hey, despite our roll out hoopla, hey "I'm a PC", Win7 is actually less flexible than XP when installing an upgrade version, but they should find a way to make this apparent to people before they wast their time. Maybe a stuffer in the OS box?????

Sorry about the rant at the end of my answer but GRRRR!

Hope this helped.
OK I used windows vista that came with my pc wich is deleted right now so I cant reinstall it so what should I do?

While booted into 7 - put the dvd in the drive - run setup, select upgrade.
Do an upgrade over the top of your existing one - put the key in when asked.

I just can't figure this out... because I did this with my upgrade download

1. Used UltraISO and put all the files in an ISO

2. Used unetbootin to build a bootable USB stick with the ISO

3. Turned my system OFF ... unplugged ALL drives except a clean formatted one

4. Booted and set my bios to boot from the usb first - it was impossible to boot from anything else anyway

5. Went to custom and did the install

6. When it asked for my keycode I put in the one they sent with the link to download the upgrade

7. Voilla ! Never any question about the validity of the key.. activation successful... there was NO other OS for the install to check existed.

Why is it telling anyone else their key is invalid?

I've also read where there is trick to flip a couple 1's to 0 in the registry to make an upgrade accept the key.

...so I have to conclude there must have been some magic in the way I did it.

Maybe I'll do it again just to be totally sure there is no other os to check and it works 100% the first time.

Hi,

Tim

Could you try something, just in case. Right click on computer and properties. Try changing your good key to a bad key and back. If that doesn't work, try changing to a bad key and attempt activation and then back to the original. I am thinking maybe that would reset something and allow it to work.

There have been many problems regarding valid keys not being recognized. Maybe even trying activation later might work if the server is busy.

Back