Windows 7 Windows 7/MS update causing IE8 to hang up?

Karen

I installed Windows 7 last Saturday (11/28) - I previously had Vista. Sometime on Sunday, Windows automatically updated my PC. Since then, IE8 hangs up. It takes up to 5 minutes to load and I can only access one tab or page at a time. If I select another tab, it just hangs up. I restored my system to a time prior to the update and disabled automatic updates. This is only a temporary solution since I don't want to miss out on important updates.

Has anyone had this problem with IE? Maybe it has to do with Windows 7 or just the latest Windows update?

There have been some strange things going on with Windows updates and Black Screens. Microsoft says they didn't do it, but maybe we will find out later. This may be related to your situation or not, but here is a link to a Microsoft page. You might check to see if any of the symptons seem familiar. By this I mean are any of the urls mentioned not working or other things mentioned on the page.
http://www.microsoft.com/security/portal/Threat/Encyclopedia/Entry.aspx?Name=Win32%2fDaonol

There have been some strange things going on with Windows updates and Black Screens. Microsoft says they didn't do it, but maybe we will find out later. This may be related to your situation or not, but here is a link to a Microsoft page. You might check to see if any of the symptons seem familiar. By this I mean are any of the urls mentioned not working or other things mentioned on the page.
Encyclopedia entry: Win32/Daonol - Learn more about malware - Microsoft Malware Protection Center
Thank you for your response. Unfortunately, the information does not seem to apply to my problem. MS has continued to update my PC with the update that I believe is causing the problem. I continue to have to restore my system in order to access mail and multiple tabs in IE8. I can't continue to restore to a pre-update point. I am missing out on updates.

I've done some research to see if this is a common issue but am not finding anything. It seems strange that no one else is having this problem. Do you have any other ideas?

Then set Windows update so you control what is updated. If you catch it before it is installed, you can hide the update so it doesn't bother your again.

Referring to your first post. I don't think it is a problem connected with updates. I have several different versions of Windows 7 installed around the premises, all official (Technet) I install, automatically, all updates offered except drivers, which I choose carefully. Since the later beta build releases, I have not had any malfunctions, other than those of my own making.

I use the "Check for updates but let me choose whether to download and install them" This gives me the option to examine them firsthand, before making that choice.
I think there have only been, so far, 4 updates to Windows 7 alone, (Many others, but related to MS software I own) none of which would have interefered with IE8.
However, the following updates have been issued on the automatic function, for IE8. Perhaps, if they have been reinstalled without your knowledge, you could try uninstalling them one by one, the newest first of course. If succesful, you could then "hide" the offender so that it does not reinstall?

Update for Internet Explorer 8 for Windows 7 (KB976749)
Installation date: ‎01/‎12/‎2009 09:36
Update for Internet Explorer 8 Compatibility View List for Windows 7 (KB975364)
Installation date: ‎01/‎12/‎2009 09:36
Security Update for Internet Explorer 8 for Windows 7 (KB974455)
Installation date: ‎01/‎12/‎2009 09:33

If all does not improve, you could also go into the "Tools - Advanced" and reset all the IE options.

Back
Top Bottom