Windows 7 not setting default program correctly

Discussion in 'Windows 7 Help and Support' started by Zeren, Dec 21, 2014.

1. Zeren

Zeren New Member

I have been trying to set Firefox as my default player for locally saved .sfw files after I had to reinstall windows. No matter how I go about it, as soon as I browse for Firefox.exe and select it to add it in as a default program, it does not appear like it should. Going through the set association menu does not work either since as soon as I'm allowed to browse for the program I want and select firefox, it won't add it to the list. I have made sure firefox, shockwave, and flash are all up to date, have tried clearing the cache, and anything else I can find online, but to no avail.

This worked before I reinstalled windows, so I'm not sure why it's not working now.

1.PNG 2.PNG

Please help!

2. Pauli

Pauli Extraordinary Member
    Premium Supporter

.swf is an Adobe file format. It will probably go automatically to Adobe, like it shows in your screenshot - companies preserve their own. Due to all sorts of copyright issues, directing Windows may not be that easy. It's actually more a Firefox or Adobe problem, than Windows problem. Check that you have all Adobe up-to-date,

Don't know if this gives anything, but https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/questions/975971 It's Mozilla, yes, but contains Windows info.

Shockwave Plug-ins are crucial.

3. Zeren

Zeren New Member

While I thank you for your input, it's not solving my issue, and as I said, all plugins and programs are up to date. I've already tried the steps in that forum. After I made that post, I checked other formats and not even .gifs are working. There is an issue with windows allowing me to select firefox at all, not just for one format. When I click open after selecting firefox as I did in the second image, nothing happen. No errors, no conformations, no option to use firefox at all.