Windows 7 Windows 7 Professional (x64) - 5.1 Surround Sound Issue

Heskey

Hi guys,

I'm having problems getting all of my 5.1 surround sound Logitech speakers working on a fresh install of Windows 7 Professional (x64), having completely formatted my hard drive of any previous operating systems. I have the following speakers:

A.) Front-Left
B.) Front-Right
C.) Centre
D.) Subwoofer
E.) Rear-Left
F.) Rear-Right

In the sound device manager, I have applied the speaker settings to be 5.1 Surround, and on testing/configuring the speakers, every speaker plays sound in their correct positions. However, in any program (iTunes, games, Windows sounds themselves; basically any other function than the Speaker Configuration panel), the only speakers that make any sound at all are A, B, and D, (Both frontal speakers & the subwoofer).

I should at this point note the following:

1.) I have never had problems getting the speakers to work correctly in previous versions of XP (the OS I have changed from), either 'Home' or 'Professional' editions (albeit they had been x32).
2.) My version of Windows 7 is completely up to date.
3.) My computer has had barely anything installed on it at this point, other than NOD32 Anti-Virus which has been fully updated and been scanning every night; turning up no malicious activity.
4.) The speakers are plugged into the correct jacks; they have not been changed since working perfectly on Windows XP.

My computer features an on-board SoundMAX sound card; the motherboard is an ASUS P5K-E (WiFi/AP edition). On installing Windows 7, all my graphics/mobo/sound drivers were automatically installed, and the 3 aforementioned speakers worked perfectly, but the rest would not. I tried googling the issue and the best response I could find was to download the audio drivers for my motherboard's soundcard and install them manually, which I did.

The drivers themselves have made no change to the speaker configuration or presented me with any additional configuration options other than a few more volume controls.

I am at a loss at what to do. Please help me get my remaining 3 speakers working correctly.

Many Thanks,

- Heskey

Hi there,

I have the EXACT same problem. The only difference is that I have a slightly different model of the motherboard.

Did you by any chance figure out how to solve this issue?

Or does anybody know how to solve it?

Thanks,
Drey

Just figured it out.
2 things.

1. In BIOS, change to HD Audio from AC97. (Also for better quality)
2. On your logitech controller, switch to matrix mode.

Boom, Enjoy :)

I am glad you found the problem, but I was going to ask you, are you actually running 5.1 sound?

Absolutely, the only thing is that you have to test logitech speakers in normal mode and then switch back to matrix when you want to use them with other programs.

Drey

Hi mate,

No I didn't figure it out unfortunately; I believe it boils down to there simply not being a 64-bit driver for Win 7 produced for 5.1 surround sound on various Mobos/Speakers etc.

I re-installed XP as a further result of discovering direct from HP's website that they don't have any 64-bit drivers for my printer, which as you can imagine isn't a good thing.

- Heskey

Hi, I have the exact same problem. What is quite bizarre for me is the fact that Modern Warfare 2 works fine in 5.1. I am about to try Drey's idea of going into the bios.

Will let you know if I find anything.

Spud

Спробуйте зайти в налаштуваннÑ￾ приÑ￾троїв відтвореннÑ￾, виберіть приÑ￾трій по замовчуванню та зайдіть у влаÑ￾тивоÑ￾Ñ‚Ñ–, там має бути закладка Enchancements, поÑ￾тавте галочку на Eneble speaker fill Ñ– звук розподілитьÑ￾Ñ￾ на вÑ￾Ñ– 5 каналів. Лише піÑ￾лÑ￾ цього у мене вÑ￾е запрацювало :)

Back