Windows 7 Windows 7 random restart

win

I have installed Windows 7 Ultimate (64-bit) on my workstation, previously running Windows XP professional. My problem is that it is extremely unstable; It randomly restarts - my screen goes black and then it restarts. I have installed Windows 7 twice - on the first install. I had gotten everything set up, all my programs (primarily video editing in nature- Adobe Master Collection CS3, Sorenson Squeeze and such) and my computer restarted. It froze and for a half second a scrambled screen appeared then it restarted. On restart it first said that it needed a bootable device cause it couldn't find one. On the second attempt at restart it would not allow me to load into windows it just came to the screen "starting windows" and remained there. On restart it gave me no option for start normal - just the option to repair system startup - or continue if it was just a power failure. The continue did not work. So I tried to repair startup - this would not work either - it said that windows could not repair itself. So I was forced to format my drive and reinstall.

On second installation - I thought I was safe. Then I had the same random restart. This time however, I repaired restart. It said that it was repairing my registry. But it must have monkeyed with it because it corrupted some of my programs. Then I continued to have the same freeze, scramble, reboot - only on the next several occasions it gave me a bluescreen. I tried after looking at forums to up the voltage of my ECC Ram (4gb - 2slots) from 1.8v to 1.83v (manufacture says they should run at 1.8v). This did not seem to help. I also tried running it with only one stick of Ram - worked for awhile over night, but then failed again the next day. I don't know if there is any relation - two failures were during system backup (from backup/restore center) and twice it failed when I was deleting from the trash. But then it failed at other random times as well. - However, It will work for extended periods of time - but then randomly quits.

I am trying to find the problem - but do not know where else to look. It appears to be hardware, but then I am not sure if it could be software related. I MUST get this machine up and running - Primary work machine.

Here are my Hardware specs:

OS Name Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate
Version 6.1.7600 Build 7600
System Type x64-based PC
Processor Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E5420 @ 2.50GHz, 2499 Mhz, 4 Core(s), 4 Logical Processor(s)
Processor Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E5420 @ 2.50GHz, 2499 Mhz, 4 Core(s), 4 Logical
SMBIOS Version 2.5
Hardware Abstraction Layer Version = "6.1.7600.16385"

Installed Physical Memory (RAM) 4.00 GB
Kingston DDR2 ECC 6400 2GB x 2
Graphics Card
Saphire ATI Radeon HD 3870 512mb
Motherboard
Asus Z7S WS
Hard Drives
System Drive - Seagate 7200.11 320gb
Drive 2 - Seagate 7200.11 1tb
Drive 3 - Seagate 7200.10 500gb
Drive 4 - Seagate 7200.11 1.5tb
Drive 5 - Seagate 7200.11 1.5tb
iSCSI
DroboPro External Array
External Firewire Drive
Seagate 7200.11 1.5tb
Capture Card
BlackMagic Intensity Pro - PCI Express

Software:
Adobe CS3 Master Collection
Sorenson Squeeze 5.1
Office Plus 2010 beta
Klite Codec Pack windows 7
Drobo Dashbaord
Mozilla Firefox
AVG Free (crashed with and without this installed)

I have installed Windows 7 Ultimate (64-bit) on my workstation, previously running Windows XP professional. My problem is that it is extremely unstable; It randomly restarts - my screen goes black and then it restarts. I have installed Windows 7 twice - on the first install. I had gotten everything set up, all my programs (primarily video editing in nature- Adobe Master Collection CS3, Sorenson Squeeze and such) and my computer restarted. It froze and for a half second a scrambled screen appeared then it restarted. On restart it first said that it needed a bootable device cause it couldn't find one. On the second attempt at restart it would not allow me to load into windows it just came to the screen "starting windows" and remained there. On restart it gave me no option for start normal - just the option to repair system startup - or continue if it was just a power failure. The continue did not work. So I tried to repair startup - this would not work either - it said that windows could not repair itself. So I was forced to format my drive and reinstall.

On second installation - I thought I was safe. Then I had the same random restart. This time however, I repaired restart. It said that it was repairing my registry. But it must have monkeyed with it because it corrupted some of my programs. Then I continued to have the same freeze, scramble, reboot - only on the next several occasions it gave me a bluescreen. I tried after looking at forums to up the voltage of my ECC Ram (4gb - 2slots) from 1.8v to 1.83v (manufacture says they should run at 1.8v). This did not seem to help. I also tried running it with only one stick of Ram - worked for awhile over night, but then failed again the next day. I don't know if there is any relation - two failures were during system backup (from backup/restore center) and twice it failed when I was deleting from the trash. But then it failed at other random times as well. - However, It will work for extended periods of time - but then randomly quits.

I am trying to find the problem - but do not know where else to look. It appears to be hardware, but then I am not sure if it could be software related. I MUST get this machine up and running - Primary work machine.

Here are my Hardware specs:

OS Name Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate
System Type x64-based PC
Processor Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E5420 @ 2.50GHz, 2499 Mhz, 4 Core(s), 4 Logical Processor(s)
Processor Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E5420 @ 2.50GHz, 2499 Mhz, 4 Core(s), 4 Logical
SMBIOS Version 2.5

Installed Physical Memory (RAM) 4.00 GB
Kingston DDR2 ECC 6400 2GB x 2
Graphics Card
Motherboard
Asus Z7S WS
Hard Drives
System Drive - Seagate 7200.11 320gb
Drive 2 - Seagate 7200.11 1tb
Drive 3 - Seagate 7200.10 500gb
Drive 4 - Seagate 7200.11 1.5tb
Drive 5 - Seagate 7200.11 1.5tb
iSCSI
DroboPro External Array
External Firewire Drive
Seagate 7200.11 1.5tb
Capture Card
BlackMagic Intensity Pro - PCI Express

Software:
Adobe CS3 Master Collection
Sorenson Squeeze 5.1
Office Plus 2010 beta
Klite Codec Pack windows 7
Drobo Dashbaord
Mozilla Firefox
AVG Free (crashed with and without this installed)

Have you tried installing from a flashdrive with a new iso? IMHO you must have a corrupt media or dvd reader problem. Can you boot to safe mode and avoid crashing? If so, consider removing all non-MS drivers and software and add them back a few at a time until you can find your problem(s).

thats whired...we have the SAME Vid card and the same Win 7 64bit...
and i have the SAME Problem..
but my COM restarts only while im in game.

I have the same problem, a couple things that I have installed that are similar to yours are firefox (obviously) and
Adobe CS4 Master collection.

My computer has always had system 7 on it.

Here is my basic configuration

OS Name Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium
Other OS Description Not Available
OS Manufacturer Microsoft Corporation
System Name XXXXXX
System Manufacturer Dell Inc.
System Model Inspiron 580
System Type x64-based PC
Processor Intel(R) Core(TM) i5 CPU 650 @ 3.20GHz, 3201 Mhz, 2 Core(s), 4 Logical Processor(s)
BIOS Version/Date Dell Inc. A02, 11/30/2009
SMBIOS Version 2.6
Windows Directory C:\Windows
System Directory C:\Windows\system32
Boot Device \Device\HarddiskVolume2
Locale United States
User Name XXXXXXX
Time Zone US Mountain Standard Time
Installed Physical Memory (RAM) 8.00 GB
Total Physical Memory 7.93 GB
Available Physical Memory 5.60 GB
Total Virtual Memory 15.9 GB
Available Virtual Memory 13.4 GB
Page File Space 7.93 GB
Page File C:\pagefile.sys

I also have reinstalled the basic operating system to no avail. I have spywaredoctor as the primary antivirus, finds nothing.

It has been happening more frequently, which is a challenge......

I am also having random reboots with almost the same hardware. Has anyone solved this? I primarily use Firefox. It seems to happen more often viewing a youtube video. It sometimes happens with iTunes as well when I plug in my iPhone.

OS Name Microsoft Windows 7 Professional (64bit)
Other OS Description Not Available
OS Manufacturer Microsoft Corporation
System Name XXXXXXXXXXX
System Manufacturer Dell Inc.
System Model Inspiron 580
System Type x64-based PC
Processor Intel(R) Core(TM) i5 CPU 650 @ 3.20GHz, 3201 Mhz, 2 Core(s), 4 Logical Processor(s)
BIOS Version/Date Dell Inc. A02, 11/30/2009
SMBIOS Version 2.6
Windows Directory C:\Windows
System Directory C:\Windows\system32
Boot Device \Device\HarddiskVolume2
Locale United States
User Name XXXXXXXXXXX
Time Zone Eastern Standard Time
Installed Physical Memory (RAM) 8.00 GB
Total Physical Memory 7.93 GB
Available Physical Memory 5.87 GB