Windows 7 Windows 7 randomly crashes on startup or requires system repair on startup frequently but sytem repa

You stated you were waiting on new video cards. Are those installed and are you still having the problem?

I haven't installed them yet because I have a project due this week I need to finish and can't afford the time it will take to clean the drivers and install/set everything up.

Today I had another crash on startup, not sure how or where to check to post a dump report.

To ensure minidumps are enabled:

Go to Start and type in sysdm.cpl, press Enter.
Under the Advanced tab, click on the Startup and Recovery Settings... button.
Ensure that Automatically restart is unchecked.
Under the Write Debugging Information header select Small memory dump (256 kB) in the dropdown box.
Ensure that the Small Dump Directory is listed as %systemroot%\Minidump.
OK your way out.
Reboot if changes have been made.

The .dmp files are located at C:\Windows\Minidump.

Copy and paste the .dmp files to a new folder on your desktop. Zip that up and attach to a post.

Thanks will post the results tomorrow.

I also have not had my previous question answered yet...

"I went into BIOS and I only see a Load Defaults option. Is this what I am supposed to do? Can it adversely affect my system in anyway? I couldn't find any individual memory settings or anything in any section so I think this is what people were referring to. Thanks for all the help guys. Link Removed - Invalid URL"

Thanks!

The minidump folder is empty so I am going to wait for another crash.

I selected the load defaults option in my bios and the memory is still listing as the same speed. Also I did get a crash the other day, however it is not saving the crash information. That crash loaded a blue screen with a bunch of numbers and said a problem was detected and Windows was shutting down to prevent damage.

"I went into BIOS and I only see a Load Defaults option. Is this what I am supposed to do? Can it adversely affect my system in anyway? I couldn't find any individual memory settings or anything in any section so I think this is what people were referring to. Thanks for all the help guys. Link Removed - Invalid URL"

Thanks!
Yeah, the mobo should then "read and set" the timings etc.

Another crash today, this time it was another BSOD on startup. I checked the minidump folder and again there is no .dmp file. I followed the settings to allow crash dumps exactly. Not sure why they are not being created on these startup crashes.

Hey, it's me again. It has been awhile but I crashed again. I have installed the new 470's and they are working fine, however today I froze at the Windows logo screen.

I still cant find any dump files in my minidump folder, not sure why, but there is a lock on the folder could this be why? The memory is still listing as the incorrect speed after selecting load defaults. Any additional help would be greatly appreciated.

Hello it's me again, got several complete freezes on Windows logo and BSOD but no cache dump is saving. This is the error I am receiving...

"STOP 0x00000074 BAD_SYSTEM_CONFIG_INFO" Error Message When You Start Your Computer

So it does seem like it is related to my memory.

memoryi.png

All slots not listed do not have ram in them, thus they do not have info.

I'm only jumping in here because it would seem that you current memory settings are not correct and could be responsible for your current issue, and since I am running almost identical memory except 4gig sticks (so the part number is slightly different) you can see from the attachments that they differ from your settings with regards to the appropriate frequency (667 MHz) which is consequently resulting in the timings being a little too tight (yours 7 7 7 20) (mine 9 9 9 24). See attached images from CPU-Z

I just got the latest post, but if you feel it is the memory, have you tried a different brand?

Is there anything in common when the system shuts down, like are you starting a certain program, or is a specific time involved?

Any noises involved? Any error or warning messages in Event Viewer, and you can set for that to happen if you open Control Panel, System, Advanced System Setting, Startup and Recovery settings.

Does it shutdown running a live version of Ubuntu?

It only happens on startup, I haven't tried any other brands of memory etc. because I'd hate to buy some new ram if all I had to do was somehow change the timings. Also it doesn't happen every startup, just sometimes. No sounds or anything.

Your CPI-Z shots show, under the Memory Tab, your RAM is running at 530.6Mhz. Yet your RAM is rated at 667Mhz which is close to the JEDEC#4 settings, or, as Cybercore and Trouble have mentioned, 9-9-9-24.

To manually set DRAM settings, this is how my BIOS works. Yours may be slightly different terminology.

Enter BIOS. Right Arrow (scroll) across to the Advanced header. Arrow Down to the Chipset Configuration sub-header and hit Enter. Now by scrolling down I'm able to manually change the DRAM settings (9-9-9-24). When I've finished I'm asked if I want to save the changes made. I then OK my way out.

Have you run Memtest86+ at all? Although this would be best when your timings are right.

Are you running any clean up programs such as CCleaner? I know CCleaner empties the Memory Dumps (Minidumps) by default and needs to have that option disabled.
Anyway, hope that helps.

I do have CC Cleaner, but it is not automatically set to auto run or anything. I will check my bios and see if I can figure it out and let you guys know. Just changing it to 9 9 9 24 would fix all the hz and everything right?

I checked all over my bios and I wasn't able to find anything remotely similar to what you listed. I'm using an EVGA X58 4 Way Classified mobo.

Back