Windows 7 Windows 7 RC stange problem

polux

Hi to all the community
( sorry by advance for my poor english, i'm a french user ).
I've installed Windows 7 RC since few months and since yesterday i've a little strange problem.
When i try to download a file from internet ( driver, all kind of .exe in fact ), a put in 'My downloads' folder, windows show me an error message like "You don't have permission to modify this shared folder..."...
if i try again, it works...
I'm admin on the PC and no sharing folder activated...
What else... ?

:)

Since it just occurred, try using System Restore to go back before the problem occurred.

I always down to the desktop, no problems there. The I use the registry hack to move the file to your download directory.

Also check permissions on the Downloads folder.

Hi and thanks for the answer

i can't make a system restore because i will lost some data or changes...

i've check the download folder permissions and all is good. When i've the error message, a file named like my download is created but with 0 bytes... if i download again directly, it overwrite it and works...

strange bug...

System Restore will not loose your data, it may go back to a previous installation, but all you have to do is re-install the app.

Could you please give me the exact error message or attach a screenshot.

You can also go to Start , Run, and type psr and go through the various steps to reproduce the problem.

Upload the zip file that created so we can look it over.

the error message is:
" you don't have permissions to modify this directory ( My Downloads ), please ask to an administrator of this machine "
( it's aproximative but the original message is in french ).

i will make a screen this evening.

I think it has a link with 'Shared network' option ( it's a little bit obscure )...

I have a small query. Did you create the "My Downloads" folder. I do not have a folder with that name in my installation. But try this fix, it may help.
Just in case. As you said, excuse my poor French!! -( Juste au cas où. Comme vous l'avez dit, excusez mon pauvre français)
J'ai une petite requête. Avez-vous créé le "Mes téléchargements" dossier. Je n'ai pas un dossier portant ce nom dans mon installation. Mais essayez de ce correctif, il mai de l'aide.

P.S. Later. I forgot to say. This will create a right click option in the drop down menu on folders and files. (J'ai oublié de dire. Cela va créer une option de clic droit dans le menu déroulant sur les dossiers et fichiers.)

Last edited:
For my information, reghakr.
"System Restore will not loose your data, it may go back to a previous installation, but all you have to do is re-install the app"

IIn spite of many years of use of Microsoft products,I have never used system restore. Is it a fact that it leaves all your old files etc intact? I would have thought, from the description, that any correspondence, etc, you had written since the last restore would be wiped.??

Last edited:
I have a small query. Did you create the "My Downloads" folder. I do not have a folder with that name in my installation. But try this fix, it may help.
If you go through the "username" folder into Windows Explorer it calls it "My Documents". If you go through Libraries it calls it "Documents". It's the same folder.

If you go through the "username" folder into Windows Explorer it calls it "My Documents". If you go through Libraries it calls it "Documents". It's the same folder.
Thanks. But we are talking about My Downloads.

Drew. Yes, I know it saves the system. But I was referring to documents (Private files.etc) I have a suspicion that is what the OP meant also.

Thanks. But we are talking about My Downloads.

Drew. Yes, I know it saves the system. But I was referring to documents (Private files.etc) I have a suspicion that is what the OP meant also.
Oops. :redface: My bad. I was looking at the word "Downloads" but my mind read "Documents". I think I'm losing it. It sucks to be old.

Don't worry stuey - Ive got the same problem. Forgot my own birthday this year until about three hours after awakening.

Thinks: My God. I hope this doesn't start a thread about how old we are. I 'm not giving away anything!!

Lot of threads on this issue so just on a low key. I have several Acronis images sitting on my spare HD and on Ddvds. The primary one is a bare installation and number two is with all my daily software installed. Whenever I am about to do something off standard, I often make another one, which is sunsequently erased. But, reference my query. All my personal files(letters: Email), new pictures, alterations to my web page etc, I am constantly saving to another safe place.

Back