Windows 7 Windows 7 Remote Desktop

hoopz111

I am trying to connect to a Windows 7 Pro PC via a Vista PC. I get to the credentials login page just fine and it will not accept them. I have tried several times typing very slowing so I know I am typing the user name and password correctly. I have Remote Connecting enabled, I have the ports open, I have the Remote Connection as an exception on the firewall. Any thoughts? Thanks in advance.

Mike

not sure if you need to use the machine name as part of the username or not, but it wouldn't hurt to try.
Windows7MachineName\Username
Password for that user on the Win7 Machine
See if that helps at all, and keep us posted.

Unfortunately that did not help. It's wierd because the flower icon on the login screen of the desktop is the same as the flower icon next to the login of the remote desktop, so I know I am contacting the right computer. It is just rejecting my credentials. Any other ideas? Is there a setting I am missing? There are other computer on the network that are working just fine. Thanks for the help.

When you configured remote desktop on the Win7 machine, did you click the select users button and make sure that the user that you are attempting to connect as, is included as an allowed user for remote desktop sessions. You may even want to try, right clicking on computer and choose manage, in the left pane and expand local users and groups, select groups, double click Remote Desktop Users, make sure your user is in there or else, click add, click advance, click find now, scroll bottom pane if necessary to select the user account you are using and ok your way back out of there and see if that helps.
The only other thing I can think of is to open secpol.msc , select and expand Local Policies, select User Rights Assignment, check the right pane for account information in the Allow log on through Remote Desktop Services, edit as needed and Deny log on through Remote Desktop Services, edit as needed.
Just set mine up for remote desktop (Win7 Ultimate x64) walked over to my neighbors house and logged in with no problems from his XP machine. So I can't duplicate your issue, but I have seen other members with the same problem, so if you get it resolved please post back and let us know.

Just one more question;
You're not attempting to perform the connection, with a username that has a blank password, are you?

There is a password. I made the changes you suggested by adding the users. I could not find her exact user name in the list, but I added Administrator, User, and Authenticated Users. I can now login into her computer from my computer in the office, but it still does not work when she tries to login from home. I used the user name Owner and her password and it worked from my computer, but it did not work for her at home. Any more thoughts? Thanks for taking the time.

There is a password. I made the changes you suggested by adding the users. I could not find her exact user name in the list, but I added Administrator, User, and Authenticated Users. I can now login into her computer from my computer in the office, but it still does not work when she tries to login from home. I used the user name Owner and her password and it worked from my computer, but it did not work for her at home. Any more thoughts? Thanks for taking the time.
You are going to have to explain in a little more detail about all three environments
The Windows 7 machine that your are attempting to logon to....where is it, same office as you, another office, or at her home.
Your machine "Vista PC"..... where is it, same location as the Windows 7 machine or somewhere else entirely.
Her machine....what OS,.... where is it, same location as the Windows 7 machine or somewhere else entirely.
Location #1 windows 7 machine?
Location #2 your Vista machine?
Location #3 her whatever machine?
How many locations and what's where

The Remote Desktop feature in Windows 7 can be used to connect remotely to other computers, so that you can control one computer from another pretty easily. Remote Desktops in Windows 7 have Aero and multi monitor support, and other enhancements.

Sorry, I probably should have given this information from the beginning.
The computer we are trying to remotely log into is in our office (Location 1).

Location 1: Windows 7 machine (in our office)
Location 2: My Vista machine (in our office)
Locatoin 3: Her Vista machine (at her house)

We can login to her machine from the computers in our office, but she cannot login from her home. Also, all the other computers on our network in the office are on statis IP addresses except for her Windows 7 machine in the office. When I set up her Windows 7 machine as a static IP address I get errors and her machine will no longer connect to our network. When she tries to login at home I give her the IP address from her computer before she goes home and we do not shut down the computer.

Thanks again for all your support.

You will probably need to resolve the static IP address assignment for her office machine before you can move forward.
What static IP addressing scheme are you using for the office machines. Private reserved or public IPs.
If you are using a private IP addressing scheme for multiple computers behind a NAT router, you will need to adjust the RDP listening port on each individual machine and create a firewall exception rule (local firewall) for that individual machine referencing the TCP protocol and the new listening port as well as the NAT firewall referenceing the TCP protocol the public port range (whatever you choose like 8881) as well as the private port range 8881. And then she will need to reference the new port within the mstsc connection, something like the outside address of the router whatever it is and the a colon and then the new port.
Like 99.99.99.99:8881
For more information on how to do this read the following article, it is a reference for XP, but it's still the same for Win7
Link Removed - Invalid URL
If you have a pool of public IP addresses that you can assign to individual machine in your office then you need to look closely at how you enter the static information in the properties of IPv4 of her network adapter (you should be able to use one of the other machine's information as a template). The address, subnet mask, default gateway and DNS servers need to all be filled out accurately. But at least this way you won't have to reconfigure the rdp listening port, since the ip address would be unique.

Sorry it has taken so long for me to get back to you. It appears to be working now. She cannot use her normal user name, but the user name "Owner" works with her password. Problem solved. Thank you for being so patient with me and helping me through to the end.

Mike

Back