Windows 7 Windows 7 RTM in 2009 ?

J

Jordan

Well according to this site :
Slashdot | More Indications Windows 7 Is Coming In 2009 MS might be releasing the final version of Windows 7 sooner than most expected.

My question is :

Will I be able to upgrade from Windows 7 Beta (7000) to the Windows 7 RC (Release Candidate) once it comes out ? Well Microsoft has stated that there will be NO second beta, and that the Windows 7 OS will be going straight for a Release Candidate, I'm guessing this will happen in the next few months....

So I'm hoping that I'll be able to do a direct upgrade from 7000 to the RC without losing any of my data. I am using Windows 7 Beta on my one and only laptop. It is my main OS and so far I'm quite satisfied with everything.

Jordan

I think you misunderstood the term Release Candidate.
A release candidate is NOT the released version, but simply the final stage of the testing BEFORE the product gets released. The release candidates will most likely not be public so you can't install them at all.

but it is highly likely that you can upgrade from w7 beta to the final version and keep your data.

^^ I wouldn't bet on that.
It's highly unlikely you'll be able to upgrade from Beta to final. As in 99.99999999999% sure it's not going to happen.

As with Vista and XP, I also doubt you'll be able to update to the RC either, as both "Whistler" and "Longhorn" RCs required a clean install.

^^ I wouldn't bet on that.
It's highly unlikely you'll be able to upgrade from Beta to final. As in 99.99999999999% sure it's not going to happen.

As with Vista and XP, I also doubt you'll be able to update to the RC either, as both "Whistler" and "Longhorn" RCs required a clean install.

yeah, but they all didn't have public betas either.
Since windows 7 seems "almost" finished, I guess upgrading to the final version here is just a matter of entering a new key and running windows update afterwards. but this is just my guess, no more no less!
In the end, you should at least be able to use the "upggrade" button from the windows 7 install dvd to upgrade to the final version, like you would from vista to 7.

yeah, but they all didn't have public betas either.
Since windows 7 seems "almost" finished, I guess upgrading to the final version here is just a matter of entering a new key and running windows update afterwards. but this is just my guess, no more no less!
In the end, you should at least be able to use the "upggrade" button from the windows 7 install dvd to upgrade to the final version, like you would from vista to 7.

You seem well read ! I hope you're right ! I wouldn't want to have to reinstall everything, all of my programs and whatnot. I spent enough time installing windows 7 and configuring it to my liking as it is. And I am using it as main OS too :D

Jordan

Can anyone else comment on my question ?

Can anyone else comment on my question ?

Anyone else ?

Last edited by a moderator:
Back
Top Bottom