Windows 7 Windows 7 SP1 (64bits) hangs on first install

Marcello73

I have downloaded SP1 for W7-x64 with Windows Update. It's trying to install now, but has been on "installing update 1 of 1" for over two hours at about 1/3 of the progress bar.

Is this a known issue? I have had problems installing other Windows updates too and hoped installing SP1 would fix this once and for all.

Depends, if your machine has not been kept up to date, SP1 will have to download and install updates that your machine did not have. Another reason maybe your machine was not male ware spy ware and virus free. I had no problem mine took about 30 minutes when I installed it

Another thing to consider would be any processes running in the background especially any antivirus and antimalware that is running. You may want to turn any such product off temporarily. In my case I noticed a very slow install while Microsoft Security Essentials was running. So I opened the services console and double clicked it, set the startup type to manual and stopped it. Seem to speed things up a bit. Just another idea.

Okay, what I hadn't noticed is a window which opened behind (!!!) the install window. Turns out it halted almost immediately and I was waiting for nothing :)

Getting a code: 800B0100

I ran the Windows6.1-KB947821-v10-x64 update which should fix inconsistencies in the update registry or something. Still nothing besides the same code. Many other updates won't work either and some strangely do work.

How do I fix this? :(

If you have checked you might have seen that that particular error is not unusual when in comes to Windows Updates.
In most cases it seems to be related to third party software products running while attempting the update. So.....
If you have any third party firewalls (Comodo, ZoneAlarm) or third party Internet Security Suites (McAfee, Norton/Symantec, AVG, etc.) and third party Download Managers/Accelerators, or third party Network Management Utilities. Uninstall them and try again, you can always reinstall them later.
Additionally, some have reported some success, by actually downloading the Update to a folder on their local computer and running the installer from there, thus avoiding the Windows Updates method all together.
Download details: Windows 7 and Windows Server 2008 R2 Service Pack 1 (KB976932)
hope this helps.
Keep us posted.

Hi Trouble,

Thnx. The update I mentioned a few posts back was this tool. It didn't help though. I did notice that I used V10 and that your link points to V12. Downloading as we speak. Hopefully this does what it is supposed to do.

Thnx again!

v12 is for SERVER 2008, *not* fir Windows 7. v10 is the latest (as of 2/26/2011 at 10:24AM PST) for Windows 7...

Some problems might be caused by a high load on the server.

If not, go to this Microsoft site. If you get to that page, there should be a "Service Pack 1" option on the left with will show troubleshooting options at the bottom of the page.

Back