Windows 7 SP1

Discussion in 'Live RSS Feeds' started by News, Mar 18, 2010.

1. Super Sarge

Super Sarge New Member

You must have had the wrong leaked version, I have the leaked version that Mike posted here in this forum and mine is not nor did it ever keep looking for the update

2. Joe S

Joe S Excellent Member

I think the leaked Version Mike posted earlier this year turned out to be OK on checksum when official version was released.
    Joe

3. Saltgrass

Saltgrass Excellent Member
    Microsoft Community Contributor

The leaked version worked fine, no problem, but I just noticed in either my WindowsUpdate.log or CBS.log it was still showing a reference to the KB.

I might be misreading what I was seeing, but this is information only, not really a problem. Since I have done a image restore back before the leaked version and since done the normal update, my logs will no longer contain the info so I cannot check.

#23 Saltgrass, Apr 16, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 16, 2011
  4. catilley1092

catilley1092 Extraordinary Member

My first experience with Windows 7 SP1 (Beta) was when I was still a TechNet Pro subscriber (probably will purchase the Desktop subscription if I like Windows 8 Consumer Preview). It ran well on my HP desktop, however the uninstall was a total mess. Fortunately, I was running an evaluation version of 7, no damage done.

Post SP1, mixed issues. It runs perfectly fine on my desktop. But on my notebook, a MSI FX603, SP1 caused an issue that couldn't be resolved through the available hotfixes (at that time). What happens, is that I can see my backup drives fine while doing a backup. But when I attempted to recover, the notebook couldn't "see" any drive to retreive my backups from. I tried all of my backup drives, even the USB 2.0 (I have 1 USB 2.0 & 2 USB 3.0 ports) couldn't see the drives. Like I said, I tried all of the solutions that I could find at the time. Even the Microsoft Answers forum had no additional solution to offer me. I even checked for updated drivers, mine was current. There was a beta one, but I passed on that. While I do try many Beta software offerings, drivers aren't one of them.

So, I uninstalled SP1, and guess what? My notebook could see the backup drives, and recover. I'll wait until SP2 is released before installing a SP on the MSI. It's running perfectly fine as is, so SP1 really offers me nothing. But as I stated, it did make a few improvements on my HP desktop. Boots faster (knocked almost a minute of time off, from pressing the power button until having a usable desktop), power consumption is down, runs cooler.

I suppose that it depends upon the computer that it's installed on. But for most, as I've noticed, many users have benefitted from Windows 7 SP1. Hopefully SP2 will arrive within a year or so, probably will be 2 years after SP1, as with many recent SP's.

Cat