Windows 7 Windows 7 stopped running my sound card and my dvd drive

axron27

Both were running fine then after a reboot windows 7 labelled both as unknown devices. now it claims both drivers cannot be located on my computer but they're on there somewhere. THEY WERE BOTH RUNNING. WHAT's THE PROBLEM WITH WIN 7? IT has the most bugs of any OS yet it's becoming almost unusable wirh freezes and not stopping closed programs. what's worse is this problem occurred on my pC that's not online. NOw what do I do?

Hi.

You have a filter problem with the DVD drive. Here's how to fix that:

"

1. Click Start
    VistaStartButton.jpg

, and then click All Programs.
  2. Click Accessories, and then click Run.
  3. Type regedit, and then click OK.
    If you are prompted for an administrator password or for a confirmation, type the password, or click Allow.
  4. In the navigation pane, locate and then click the following registry subkey:
  5. HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}
  6. In the right pane, click UpperFilters.
  7. On the Edit menu, click Delete.
  8. When you are prompted to confirm the deletion, click Yes.
  9. In the right pane, click LowerFilters.
  10. On the Edit menu, click Delete.
  11. When you are prompted to confirm the deletion, click Yes.
  12. Exit Registry Editor.
  13. Restart the computer."
As far as the sound, please tell us your motherboard model and I will have the latest driver for you. Most likely Realtek HD.

Last edited:
Asus P5GDC is the mother board with 2 3.4 GB intel pentium 4 processors it's not a dual core but a server board with 2 CPU. I did a cold boot and the sound came back. The DVD drive is still missing. The odd thing is, the DVD drive went awol after I had inserted a U3 Cruzer flash drive in my USB socket. Now the place holder for the DVD drive says CD Drive (D:) U3 system, while the flash drive is listed in its correct place at letter I. The drive problem happened about 4 months ago, it took me this long to find a troubleshooting forum that didn't try to sell me a registry cleaner -I hate search engines-. I think the problem may be related to my USB system and the U3 flash drives I've been using -maybe their software usurped my DVD drive. Any Ideas?

The upper and lower filters were absent. when I went to the recommended link the file was for XP SP3. With the differences between xp and Win7 I didn't want to risk it. I did DL the file, if you still think I should run it let me know

Back
Top Bottom