Windows 7 Windows 7 - stuck at shutdown

CParker

I have a Lenovo G530, Windows 7, only a couple months old. It used to shut down within 15 seconds. 2 weeks ago it started acting up - it will not shut down - it will stay at the shutdown screen for 10-45 minutes, and eventually restart itself, and then when I try to shut it down after that - it will shut down. But then the problem repeats itself.

I tried a system restore - it shut down once properly. And then after that it wouldn't shut down again.

So lately I have just been hibernating it. But 2 days ago I decided to try to shut down again, and I got the blue screen!

Any help would be apppreciated!

Hi.

These shutdown issues are almost always very easy to solve. Please navigate to C:\Windows\Minidump

Copy the files in there to any other folder then zip them. Attach the zip to a post using the paperclip above where you type, in advanced mode reply.

Either myself or another from the bsod team will have an answer for you shortly.

Install this to update your Conexant modem drivers:

Link Removed - Invalid URL

Install the latest Power Management drivers:

Install the latest Touchpad driver:

This driver is old and has a high chance of being the culprit:

Code:
WDMirror WDMirror.sys Fri Feb 02 01:14:14 2007

I can't seem to figure out which Lenovo component it may be for. Some places say video, but that really can't be. The video drivers are from Intel and/or NVIDIA.

I would go to C:\Windows\System32\drivers and rename it to WDMirror.BAK
Then reboot. Test.

So I followed all your instructions. However, when I tried to install the modem driver, I received a message that it could not find the modem device for the driver. Why would I have gotten that?
But otherwise, I was able to install the others, and change the file extension on that file.

I tried restarting, and I got stuck at shutdown. Could that be because I had not yet rebooted so I was still stuck in the same issue? So I held down the power button, and forced the computer to power off. I started up again and shut down - and it worked! I did it 4 times. And then on the 5th I restarted, and that also worked! I hope it continues to work, and that it won't revert the way it has done in the past! Thanks for your help!

Could that be because I had not yet rebooted so I was still stuck in the same issue?

Yes, precisely. You're welcome.

Not sure about the modem driver. I wouldn't worry about it since the issue is solved. It was the WDMirror.sys causing it, in 95% likelihood.

It will continue to be fine.

It is still working properly! So far so good.
Was just wondering what made it act up all of a sudden? Was it something I did? Could it have been related to a Windows update?

Thanks

Hello,
I have exactly the same problem. The only difference is that my laptop is Acer Aspire 5739G. Is there any opportunity to fix this problem too? Thank you in advance.

Hello,
I have exactly the same problem. The only difference is that my laptop is Acer Aspire 5739G. Is there any opportunity to fix this problem too? Thank you in advance.

Each case or example is entirely different than another. Please post your crash dumps while starting a new thread so it can be given sole attention. Thanks and welcome to the site!

Hi! I am back! The same thing happened again. Laptop would not shut down. And now I know the same event triggered it both times. I left my laptop running on battery. And it came out of its sleep ok. But afterwards laptop will not properly shutdown. Same issue I encontered a few weeks ago!!

So I went back into my C:\Windows\System32\drivers and renamed it to WDMirror.BAK (it was .sys again even though I had changed it), and I hope it will work now.

BUT how can I prevent this for the future? Why does the battery running out, and laptop moving into sleep mode, create this issue?

Thanks!!!

I have a Dell Studio 14z and ever since upgrading to Windows 7 from Vista we have had nothing but issues with the unit. Recently, we have started to experience shutdown issues along with periodically it freezes for 2-5 minutes and then continues on. I would like to first resolve the shutdown issues so I am attaching the minidump zip file as suggested in other posts. Thanks for any help you can provide.

Attachments

• MiniDump.zip
    453.9 KB · Views: 242
How did you do the upgrade from Vista? If you upgraded 'over' Vista, rather than doing a clean install, that often leads to problems.

The Windows 7 upgrade was done from a "clean" install. With Vista being a problem child right from the start from Microsoft I didn't want any lingering issues. Plus, I have always believed in clean installs rather than upgrades, even though program wise you have to reinstall everything.

I just began to have problems with shutdown. I have to power down manually. I am attaching the file in the Minidump directory as you asked of the other posters. I'm at my wits end with this and HP is no help. Today I did a 4th restore back to when the Laptop was new. I've lost all my contacts and am quite frustrated. Any help will be greatly appreciated. The laptop is an HP DV7-3085dx.

Attachments

• 091910-19983-01.zip
    48 KB · Views: 227
Back