Windows 7 Windows 7 takes long time to boot up

CalvT

Different to most peoples boot up problems, mine problem is that it takes about two minutes to show the boot up animation after the HP logo. All it shows is a black screen with a little flashing white line for about two minutes.
Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks

Hi CalvT, have you checked the boot device priority? Could your PC be trying to boot from something other than the hard disk and waits for it to respond (or not, in this case). You can find the list in the BIOS.

Hope this helps

Hi Alberto, thanks for replying. The primary disk is the notebook hard drive followed by the USB ports then the CD Reader and lastly the network adaptor.
Thanks

Well, that list seems to be more or less alright. Try disabling everything but the hard disk, just for a quick test. I don't think it's the problem but you never know.
Did you ever install any other OS in dual boot? Maybe there's something left over from a bootloader?

With them all disabled (apart from hard drive) it takes 1m 39s until animation (I timed it).
Thanks

Bring up Run and type in MSCONFIG and look on the boot tab and make sure the removed OS has been deleted. You might also try running Startup Repair 3 times and see if that fixes anything.
Joe

Sorry to take so long in replying. What I meant in the post above was that when I installed the new OS, I deleted ALL partitions on the hard drive. I then created one partition on the hard drive and installed W7 on that.
Thanks

Hi CalvT, I must confess I'm stumped.
As far as I know the time between the manufacturer's logo and the windows logo should be used to determine what to boot and basic HW tests to determine everything is there and working. I thought it might be trying to look for something else to boot but if you deleted all partitions on the disk and network boot has been disabled I have no idea what it's trying to do. I assume it's not a HW fault or an incorrectly connected cable and you didn't open up the PC and start messing around at random.
I don't know what to think, sorry!
Let me know if you figure something out though, I'd be interested to hear what the issue is.

Different to most peoples boot up problems, mine problem is that it takes about two minutes to show the boot up animation after the HP logo. All it shows is a black screen with a little flashing white line for about two minutes.
Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks

Try this:

Go to Properties of My Computer and click Advance tab. In the below section, click the button settings under the label Startup and Recovery. In the opening window you will see default operating system (you could change if you have dual boot). Check the first checkbox and change the time (in seconds) to 0.

Hello All
Thanks for replies, will try when I have a chance, maybe this Friday, will report then.
Thanks again

You know, there may be no problem. 1min 39s is not a way way too long a time for a computer to start. Computers have been known to start for ten minutes, and longer. If it's otherwise working fine, all is probably fine. Basic defrag may solve problems...

Specs about your system?

Sorry, what I meant was 1:39 was before the windows animated boot appears. After that everything goes pretty smoothly.
Thanks

Edit: Defrag is 3%

Last edited:
Back