Windows 7 Windows 7 Turns off display and power randomly on my laptop

ndd811818

I am about to tear my hair out over this issue. I have rebuilt my system twice now and my system is still turning off the display and powering down randomly. I would really appreciate someone helping me resolve this. I have followed all the guide lines for disabling sleep mode and it still randomly stops running by turning off the display and powering down. I have to push the power button again and then Windows start up in diagnostic mode where I can select safe mode if I want. Please help me in getting the information you need to help me resolve this issue.

Much appreciated and thanks

Neal Dawson

Yes...I can boot to normal mode...I am having some trouble with uploading the files you have asked for using the diagnostic tool you told me to. I was able to create the files and zip them but I am having trouble attaching them to my reply.

Thanks

Neal

Hello ndd811818,
2a99y0o.jpg
to Windows 7 Forums,

3 things come to mind;

1. How do you have your Power Options set?

2. HEAT. Is your lappy sufficiently cooled and is the inside clean from dirt/dust, especially the cooling fan.
If you don't have a laptop cooling pad, I suggest getting one. They work wonders, Belkin makes a great one.

3. Network Adapters, make sure you have all your network adapters installed and up-to-date.

Click on Manage Attachments, then click on "Add Files", upload from your computer, if successful, it should show up in the bottom window where it says Attachments, make sure it's selected and click on "Insert in line (0)", then click done.
It will not show up until you click either "Preview Post" or "Submit Reply"

Keep us posted

Don

I keep getting a message Internet explorer cannot find web page when I click on add files. Not sure why this is occuring. Is there a problem with the server where files are uploaded.

Thanks

Neal

View attachment MSINFO32.zip

I have checked all my drivers and the only one that I updated was the Microsoft WiFi Mini port Driver.

Heat is OK and I have set all my power setting according to what I have found on the internet to disable sleep mode or hybernation

I think I was able to attach the info you have asked for.

Thanks

Neal

Upload your zipped files to a free file-hosting site - and then post a link to them here.
I use SkyDrive and Dropbox - others use MediaFire

Upload your zipped files to a free file-hosting site - and then post a link to them here.
I use SkyDrive and Dropbox - others use MediaFire

i was able to do the upload. Thanks for your suggestions.

I really appreciate it.

Neal

I just had the crash occure again and I looked in the event log to see only one error. I am sending a copy of this event. I hope it helps.

Log Name: Application
Source: Microsoft-Windows-WMI
Date: 10/4/2012 7:21:09 AM
Event ID: 10
Task Category: None
Level: Error
Keywords: Classic
User: N/A
Computer: Neal-Mac
Description:
Event filter with query "SELECT * FROM __InstanceModificationEvent WITHIN 60 WHERE TargetInstance ISA "Win32_Processor" AND TargetInstance.LoadPercentage > 99" could not be reactivated in namespace "//./root/CIMV2" because of error 0x80041003. Events cannot be delivered through this filter until the problem is corrected.
Event Xml:
<Event xmlns="Link Removed due to 404 Error">
<System>
<Provider Name="Microsoft-Windows-WMI" Guid="{1edeee53-0afe-4609-b846-d8c0b2075b1f}" EventSourceName="WinMgmt" />
<EventID Qualifiers="49152">10</EventID>
<Version>0</Version>
<Level>2</Level>
<Task>0</Task>
<Opcode>0</Opcode>
<Keywords>0x80000000000000</Keywords>
<TimeCreated SystemTime="2012-10-04T14:21:09.000000000Z" />
<EventRecordID>4338</EventRecordID>
<Correlation />
<Execution ProcessID="0" ThreadID="0" />
<Channel>Application</Channel>
<Computer>Neal-Mac</Computer>
<Security />
</System>
<EventData>
<Data>//./root/CIMV2</Data>
<Data>SELECT * FROM __InstanceModificationEvent WITHIN 60 WHERE TargetInstance ISA "Win32_Processor" AND TargetInstance.LoadPercentage &gt; 99</Data>
<Data>0x80041003</Data>
</EventData>
</Event>

Thanks

Neal

Could you post a link to the site where we can download those reports/memory dump files?

The error is "Access denied" in namespace "//./root/CIMV2". I don't know much about that, so let's hold off on doing anything with it for the time being.

I just created a drop box account and placed the ziped files there. I am not sure how I can create a link that I can put in this reply to the forum. Can you help me do this.

Thanks

Neal

Put the files in the Public folder
Then right click on it and select "Copy public link"
Then copy that link and paste it into your next post

I put the folder of the files in the public folder and then right clicked on the public folder but didn't see "Copy public link"

Can you tell me where I went wrong?

Thanks

Neal

You need more memory - there's only 830 mB free, which will seriously impact the performance of your system.
Until you can get more memory, trim the items that startup when your system boots up - and only run one program at a time (closing the others before opening a new one).

Only 92 updates since SP1 - most systems have 130 to 140. Please visit Windows Update and get ALL available Windows Updates

Numerous errors of this type in the Application logfile of Event Viewer:
Event[4101]:
Log Name: Application
Source: SideBySide
Date: 2012-10-02T14:30:02.000
Event ID: 80
Task: N/A
Opcode: N/A
Keyword: Classic
User Name: N/A
Description:
Activation context generation failed for "C:\Program Files (x86)\Adobe\Acrobat 9.0\Designer 8.2\FormDesigner.exe".Error in manifest or policy file "" on line . A component version required by the application conflicts with another component version already active. Conflicting components are:. Component 1: C:\Windows\WinSxS\manifests\amd64_microsoft.windows.common-controls_6595b64144ccf1df_6.0.7601.17514_none_fa396087175ac9ac.manifest. Component 2: C:\Windows\WinSxS\manifests\x86_microsoft.windows.common-controls_6595b64144ccf1df_6.0.7601.17514_none_41e6975e2bd6f2b2.manifest.
Please completely un-install the version of the program (Acrobat 9.0\Designer 8.2) located at the location specified above (highlighted in RED)

This next error seems to point to the Apple firmware - and I am not very familiar with Mac's or BootCamp operations. You may want to see if there's an update for the BIOS/firmware on this particular Mac. If it were mine, I'd un-install all the BootCamp stuff and then re-install it - just to be sure it's not a problem with BootCamp.
Event[9906]:
Log Name: System
Source: Microsoft-Windows-HAL
Date: 2012-10-01T18:58:08.596
Event ID: 12
Task: N/A
Opcode: Info
Keyword: N/A
User Name: N/A
Description:
The platform firmware has corrupted memory across the previous system power transition. Please check for updated firmware for your system.
As there isn't much in the way of other reports, I'd have to wonder if there are issues with overheating also - as there are numerous events where the system shutdown without explanation. Please be sure to only use the MacBook on a hard surface. I don't know about troubleshooting the Mac cooling system - so you'd be better served by troubleshooting the hardware in an Apple forum.

Thanks for your reply. I will review the information and check on all the items you have mentioned. I will contact Apple to see if I can add some more ram to my laptop as well. I will update this thread as soon as I have implemented your recommendations.

One again I really appreciate your assistance and cudos to the Windows 7 forum...

Sincerely

Neal

I have just added 2 GB of memory to my laptop. I hope this will resolve any physical memory limitation. I have noticed I am getting 100 % hard faults/sec at times. I would have thought if I added memory I would not be seeing any of this. I will let you know how the machine runs and if I have any more crashes.

Thanks

Neal

Since I added to 2 GB of memory. I now have a total of 4 GB of memory. I am still getting random shutdowns. It does not seem to matter what I am doing on my laptop. Can I get your assistance in running the diagnostics again that I ran early on in this thread so we can see what if anything may have changed by adding the memory. I will wait your reply.

Thanks

Neal

Hi John

Since I added to 2 GB of memory. I now have a total of 4 GB of memory. I am still getting random shutdowns. It does not seem to matter what I am doing on my laptop. Can I get your assistance in running the diagnostics again that I ran early on in this thread so we can see what if anything may have changed by adding the memory. I will wait your reply.

I took my laptop into the Apple store where thay stressed the hardware and found no problems with the hardware.

Thanks

Neal

Please gather these reports (even though you're not experiencing a BSOD problem): http://windows7forums.com/blue-screen-death-bsod/38837-how-ask-help-bsod-problem.html

Did the Apple people say anything about a BIOS update?
Did they tell you what they used to stress test your system?
Did they explain why Windows would shut down without any record of a problem?

I'm just theorizing here - but if the MAC stuff doesn't shut down without reason, but the Windows stuff does. Then it would appear to be a conflict between Windows and the MAC hardware (because of the BIOS/firmware issues in event viewer).
This part of the error is (IMO) significant:
Source: Microsoft-Windows-HAL
The HAL (Hardware Abstraction Layer) is how Windows communicates with the hardware. Errors that point to HAL involvement are often due to incompatibilities between hardware and Windows (or the programs that are running on Windows).

Back