Windows 7 Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit crashes in startup

sirice007

After going from the E5200 Dual Core to the Q9550 Quad Core windows freezes on startup. If I try to do startup repair it crashes there too. I get the black screen of death, no error message or anything. If I re-install the E5200 it works fine. I would like the get the Quad core working. It's already been replaced once. I'd rather not have a $200 paperweight. Thanks.

Can you post your spec please 007. Name of motherboard and bios used.

The fact that you are able to boot into Windows with the Quad Core processor indicates that neither the BIOS or motherboard may be a problem factor in the boot order. It is possible that the Hardware Abstraction Layer (HAL) in Windows 7 cannot compensate for this upgraded processor.

Can you post the BSOD message to the forum in some manner?

If the HAL is changed by upgrading the processor, and you cannot boot into Windows under any circumstances, you may need to do a clean install. Either way, you will need to re-activate Windows. To prevent future difficulty, you may seriously want to consider a clean install.

I just get a black screen, no error message. Is there any way to do a clean install without starting all over?

ASUS P5N-D motherboard

Do you get a POST screen? Like when you start the computer, do you see the various information popping up or a splash screen? This would indicate the processor is activated and working. Its still remotely possible you need a BIOS update.

I just get a black screen, no error message. Is there any way to do a clean install without starting all over?
This is not possible. You can back up your items in an attempt to do so, but installed programs would need to be re-installed. Documents and media files could be moved to a separate drive or storage device. When we use the term clean install, it really means completely wiping out Windows, formatting the entire file system, and starting from scratch. Obviously this is not the best answer to your problem, but it may be the most basic solution. You have replaced the entire "brain" of your computer with a new processor. There is no way for the operating system to understand what has taken place.

One theory we discussed last night was that you could install the dual-core, use System Configuration, and set the system to boot using only 1 processor temporarily, then install the quad core again. However, this is kind of a stretch and very unlikely to work. Its either the BIOS and the motherboard drivers, which kemical will very likely look into for you, or the unfortunate situation of Windows not being compatible for this type of hardware upgrade.

When Windows is installed, the hardware abstraction layer is created to manage, at a very high level, instructions moving back and forth from hardware. What we have debated now is whether or not the new CPU is creating an OS-related problem or if it is a hardware issue. Some people have been able to upgrade their CPU's just fine while maintaining the same copy of Windows on their system. Why it is not working in your case is still something of a mystery, but even if it were not and the computer booted fine, you might find yourself wanting to try to do a clean install anyway (just for housekeeping in this instance and ensuring maximum compatibility).

Cc750300.ewsa0101_big(en-us,TechNet.10).gif

Reference: Hardware Abstraction Layer. We know unique system configuration parameters are created during Windows installation. These are mostly motherboard related drivers, instruction parameters, and so forth. What we do not know, specifically, is to what extent the Windows Hardware Abstraction Layer may interact with your CPU. If it is reliant on a CPU with an old instruction set and architecture, and a new one is introduced, this could be causing your black screen of death.

Alternatively, if you are getting a NO POST, which is what you indicate to simply be a black screen, and discernible fact that Windows is not trying to boot at all, and you cannot get into the BIOS at all, this would indicate you may need an updated BIOS.

ASUS P5N-D motherboard

Thankyou for suppling the name of your motherboard now could you please post the bios revision. If your bios is old then your motherboard will not take a 4 core CPU but later bios revisions fix that.

Just as another thought, what size is your PSU? In fact could you please list your machine in detail.

Last edited:
Memory and Spd Tabs attached.

BIOS Revision 1301

Attachments

• speed.docx
    267.7 KB · Views: 751
  • memory.docx
    963.7 KB · Views: 766
Custom Built

ASUS P5N-D motherboard
BIOS Revision 1301
INTEL E5200 Duo Core
4GB DDR2-6400 400Mhz
NVIDIA GeForce 9500GT 1GB
550w PSU
Windows 7 Ultimate 64 Bit

I registered just to respond to this thread.
I just bought the Asus P5N-D motherboard to replace my broken Abit IP35 Pro. I am also using a Q9550 and unable to install windows 7. I have tried 4 different memory modules, 2 different power supplies, 2 different video cards, 2 different DVD-rom drives, 3 different hard drives, and many different BIOS configurations.
I have tried using my Ultimate disc and my student only disc, neither work.
Over the past 2 days I have spent nearly 20 hours trying to get this damn board to work.
I get all kinds of blue screens at different times, and the black screen too. I have gotten as far as installing windows, but after restarting I got a bsod loop. I took the SSD out of that system and chkdsk'd it in another system and ended up cancelling it after half an hour because it was fixing billions of errors matrix style with no sign of stopping. It went too fast to read, but i believe I noticed the word 'orphaned' a lot and saw many index files.
I have no idea what the issue is, but what I do know is that I will end up tearing my hair out if I don't figure this out. My guess is that there is something wrong with the default IDE driver for the board so when it writes the setup data it ends up being trashed in many places.
I will keep you folks posted if I get any closer to a resolution. Or my girlfriend will post here to let you know I jumped out the window because I couldn't handle the stench of fail that surrounds this board.

After going from the E5200 Dual Core to the Q9550 Quad Core windows freezes on startup. If I try to do startup repair it crashes there too. I get the black screen of death, no error message or anything. If I re-install the E5200 it works fine. I would like the get the Quad core working. It's already been replaced once. I'd rather not have a $200 paperweight. Thanks.

Did you change the cpu only?

Changing the CPU only, Windows 7 realizes the change and adjusts accordingly upon first boot. However, when swapping a motherboard for a new one, it is always prudent to reinstall the OS. Type "systeminfo" from a cmd prompt to see if it displays the quad-core correctly.

Your memory settings look right. : )

cybercore - Yes, I only changed the CPU. The post displays the new cpu correctly, and so does the bios setup. But once it starts loading Windows it freezes. I've made it to the password screen once and it froze there. But usually it freezes before that, while booting up windows.

cybercore - Yes, I only changed the CPU. The post displays the new cpu correctly, and so does the bios setup. But once it starts loading Windows it freezes. I've made it to the password screen once and it froze there. But usually it freezes before that, while booting up windows.

I would try clean install. Might be something with the CPU/motherboard/compatibility though - in this case clean install won't help.
Bios upgrade would be a plus.

I hear ya, I will also try talking to ASUS to see if they know anything about this issue. I have a spare HD that I will try a clean install on before wiping this HD.

Update, I first tried upgrading my Bios and according to the ASUS website I should use the newest Bios 1401 with the Q9550. So I updated to the 1401 and restarted the computer. I then shut down and installed the Q9550 and fired it up. No good, froze again on windows starting up. So I tried another HD, after the initial status bar with "installing windows" it froze with the Black screen. I'm not sure what the deal is but this CPU is not working.

The motherboard is compatible and lists this cpu with the Bios 1401, as well as others. Now Tigerdirect doesn't carry this because it is OEM and they discontinued it. So I can pay the difference and get the boxed version which is $129 more, or go for a lesser cpu for the same price.

Back