Windows 7 Windows 7 Ultimate 64. Unidentified network problem. keep getting IP 196.254.***.***

Yotam

Hey
I'm new to the forum.
I know this problem was talked about a lot and there are many different solutions to it, but non of them seem to work for me and that's why I'm writing here.
Anyway here's my problem:
I installed on my PC windows 7 ultimate 64Bit version and ever since I have the Unidentified network problem. I'm using an Edimax router and an TP-link wireless adapter (model TL-WN353GD) which I bought today because I thought that my old adapter wasn't compatible with Win 7.
I've tried every possible solution I found on forums and nothing seem to work for me.
I've tried to connect my modem directly to my Ethernet card but I still have the same IP and Unidentified network.
I'm begging to lose hope and just give up and go back to XP.
here are my details from the ipconfig:

Microsoft Windows [Version 6.1.7600]
Copyright (c) 2009 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

C:\Windows\system32>ipconfig/all

Windows IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : BigPC
Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . :
Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Hybrid
IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:

Media State . . . . . . . . . . . : Media disconnected
Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Realtek RTL8168C(P)/8111C(P) Family PCI-E
Gigabit Ethernet NIC (NDIS 6.20)
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-1F-D0-8E-9C-70
DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes

Wireless LAN adapter Wireless Network Connection 2:

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : TP-LINK 802.11b/g Wireless Adapter
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-27-19-DF-81-04
Link-local IPv6 Address . . . . . : fe80::7c4b:135f:5705:7383%12(Preferred)
Autoconfiguration IPv4 Address. . : 169.254.115.131(Preferred)
Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.0.0
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . :
DHCPv6 IAID . . . . . . . . . . . : 285217131
DHCPv6 Client DUID. . . . . . . . : 00-01-00-01-13-70-DF-08-00-1F-D0-8E-9C-70

DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : fec0:0:0:ffff::1%2
fec0:0:0:ffff::2%2
fec0:0:0:ffff::3%2
NetBIOS over Tcpip. . . . . . . . : Enabled

Tunnel adapter isatap.{8E11D2F3-3FBD-4EF8-B7B2-245AF511D6B3}:

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Microsoft ISATAP Adapter
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-00-00-00-00-00-00-E0
DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : No

Tunnel adapter Local Area Connection* 9:

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Microsoft 6to4 Adapter #2

Tunnel adapter Reusable Microsoft 6To4 Adapter:

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Microsoft 6to4 Adapter #3

I don't have the bonjour thing and I basically tried every thing I could find in a lot of forums.
I think the problem is in windows itself, because I'm getting the same IP with two different adapters and even when I'm connecting directly to my computer.
I have a laptop with Windows XP and I'm using it's just fine so it's not the router.
I spent over 3 hours with my ISP and they didn't know what to do.
Maybe the problem is the 64Bit?
I will appreciate any kind of help.
Sorry for the long message, just thought I'll give as much info as I can.

Thanks in Advanced

Yotam

P.S. sorry for any grammar or any spelling mistake.

DHCP is failing or not configured on the router

164.* is a local address which is reserved when... you don't have an IP at all.

You need to get into the router and try to fix DHCP. We must assume that the router is hopefully using the Cisco/Linksys standard, even though it is not a Cisco router. You appear to have no default gateway (which is a path to the router)

Do this to manually configure the WiFi NiC:

Navigate to:

Start -> Search -> View Network Connections

Find the wireless device, double-click on it. "Properties"

Double-click IPv4

Do not obtain anything automatically. Set the following:

IP address: 192.168.1.23
Subnet mask: 255.255.255.0
Default gateway: 192.168.1.1

Preferred DNS server: 192.168.1.1
(This is your router, so hopefully it has DNS servers set up. If not use the 2nd one first)
Alternate DNS server: 8.8.8.8
(This is Google's public DNS server)

Here's hoping your router is actually 192.168.1.1. If its not change to 192.168.1.0 and see if that works. If none of that works, you need to reset the router, get the instruction manual, find out what the defaults are, or call the router manufacturer.

You're saying it doesn't work *without* a router either?

If none of this works you need to check the integrity of the OS files. This would be accomplished by launching cmd.exe from the Start -> Search using elevated privileges. When searching for cmd.exe right-click on it and "Run as administrator"

From the black command console run:

sfc /scannow

This will hopefully repair the integrity of the networking stack if it has been damaged.

Hey Mike
thanks for the quick response.

I've tried everything you suggested but still no luck.
There's nothing wrong with the integrity of the networking stack.
I rested my router today like 3 times but id didn't helped either and so is changing my IP and DNS numbers in IPv4.

I connected my cable modem directly to Ethernet and it didn't helped. I switched cables and still no success. I'm really frustrated

Well you are on the Internet somehow, and I am assuming that is with a different computer correct? Are you using the same Internet connection/router/whatever?

If not, I would assume this is definitely a problem with your router or, even worse, the cable or DSL modem. It could be the configuration of either.

If I could walk you through the configuration of the router successfully, I certainly would, but you won't be able to access it without a working connection to the router.

I would suggest contacting the ISP and telling them you are having networking problems. They are going to make you go through a bunch of pointless troubleshooting steps to avoid sending anyone out to your location, but you should insist that they send out a tech.

The main problem with many ISPs is that their on-site techs work very hard and know a lot about how to install the equipment, but many of them often do not know how to configure or diagnose broken equip. So I would say try your hand at bringing in a technician and seeing if they can solve the problem.

If you're not able to use the connection with ANY computer, its very possible something is wrong with your equipment or connection to their branch office.

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : TP-LINK 802.11b/g Wireless Adapter
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-27-19-DF-81-04
Link-local IPv6 Address . . . . . : fe80::7c4b:135f:5705:7383%12(Preferred)
Autoconfiguration IPv4 Address. . : 169.254.115.131(Preferred)
Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.0.0
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . :
DHCPv6 IAID . . . . . . . . . . . : 285217131
DHCPv6 Client DUID. . . . . . . . : 00-01-00-01-13-70-DF-08-00-1F-D0-8E-9C-70

I wonder about the 255.255.0.0 coz Win default is 255.255.255.0

make sure DHCP is running and match all network adapter to use the same subnet - otherwise you gotta unidentified network.

Hey,
I have two other computer at home with windows XP and both of them have good wireless connection (I'm writing from one of them), so the problem isn't my router or my adapter.
As I said before I took my modem and connected it directly to the Ethernet card to see if the problem is from the router or not and I had the same problem. so that narrow the problem to just my PC/OS. I'm starting to think that the 64Bit system is causing all the problem.

I wonder about the 255.255.0.0 coz Win default is 255.255.255.0

make sure DHCP is running and match all network adapter to use the same subnet - otherwise you gotta unidentified network.

It isn't a fault, but is not common. It is using subnet a further branch (subnet B). But I am surprised it is there by default

well I had some progress.
I installed a new driver for my Ethernet card and connected it directly to the modem and it worked. after that i connected the modem to the router and from the router I connected it the the Ethernet and it's still working. So I'm guessing the wireless adapter isn't working with windows 7 or just the 64Bit version. I'm going to replace the adapter I bought yesterday and see if it will help.

I'm having the same problems that the OP was having. But, these problems honestly came from NOWHERE. One day while just talking to someone on Skype, my internet decided to stop working. So I googled for a bit, and disabled ipv6 and manually entered an IP address, default subnet mask, changed my default gateway and primary DNS the standard 192.168.1.1. That worked flawlessly until yesterday. Not I have the No Internet Access triangle on both my wireless connection, and my Ethernet. I've tried MANY "fixes" and none seem to be solving anything.

Back