Windows 7 Windows 7 Unidentified Network, No Internet Access

xYbron

On 25th of February i started getting this problem.
My main PC cant connect to the internet and my bros can, we use the same modem (modem only no router) its a Motorola SB5100. I used a ethernet cable to connect mine, and a USB to connect my bros with the modem, worked for a year then on 25th **** started happening)
I googled, and found many solutions but none worked
A list of what i did and didnt work
- Change Mac Address
- Assign a IP by default
- Change Cables
- Reformat
- Install newest realtek driver
- I had no Bonjour service, so there was nothing to remove
- Restarted Modem, ton load of times
- Plugged out the modem from power for a full night
Can anybody please help, because im going crazy

Im running W7 ultimate, 64bit, build 7600

Last edited:
xYbron:
Hello and welcome to the forums.
Very interesting situation. I was not even aware that you could use both the ethernet and usb options simultaneously. I thought you had to either use one or the other but not both. Have you tried disconnecting your brother's computer from the USB connection and rebooting the 5100 with just your computer connected by ethernet? Can you connect your computer using the USB connection? Can you connect your brother's computer to the modem with the ethernet option, does his seem to work with the ethernet connection?
I suppose it's possible that the ethernet port on the device has gone bad. When you are connected can you use the ping utility from a command prompt to either ping the modem or your brother's PC?
Have you contacted your provider to confirm with them that what you are currently attempting to do is still supported by that device and that a recent firmware update by them to that device hasn't somehow removed that functionality? Haven't setup or configured one of those for quite some time but as I recall they were quite limited in functions and features so it may be a good time to ask your provider for a possible upgrade to a newer device with a more robust feature set including multiple switch ports and or perhaps even wireless functionality.

I would say the problem is coming from the USB connection. You are using a 64Bit OS and the USB side may have problems. Are you able to connect both through ethernet, even if it means purchasing a card for your brother's computer ? I am sure that would solve the problem.

These bits from "Trouble" -
"Have you tried disconnecting your brother's computer from the USB connection and rebooting the 5100 with just your computer connected by ethernet? Can you connect your computer using the USB connection? Can you connect your brother's computer to the modem with the ethernet option, does his seem to work with the ethernet connection?"

I have the same problem my pcs are runining on a server and I can ping the server and access all the files just no internet access. all the other PCS work just the one is being stubborn

I have the same problem my pcs are runining on a server and I can ping the server and access all the files just no internet access. all the other PCS work just the one is being stubborn

schmitz:
Hello and welcome to the forums.
Open a command prompt and type
ipconfig /all
if the computer works fine on the local area network (LAN) but fails to access anything outside of it then you need to determine if the machine has;
1. a default gateway address (usually the IP address of your router/firewall) without that information the packets have no idea how to leave the LAN.
2. a DNS server(s) address (again possibly the IP address of your router, but may also be other or additional DNS resolver addresses) without that information your computer has no means (other than a local hosts file) to resolve FQDN queries (Fully Qualified Domain Names), like www.si.edu

Back
Top Bottom