Windows 7 Windows 7 upgrade difficulties - Hard Drive Driver problem?

gringo2112

I am trying to upgrade my HP a1719n from Vista SP2 to Windows 7 Home Premium (using the upgrade DVD) without having to do a clean install. Before the installation starts I get this message.

The following issues are preventing Windows from upgrading. Cancel the upgrade, complete each task, and then restart the upgrade to continue.

• Windows needs to be restarted so necessary changes to system files can be made before continuing.

• For these items, make the following changes:

• Install updated drivers for the following devices. Open Control Panel and search for "update device drivers".

• Disk drives: Compaq SCSI Drive Array

I have gone to the only disk drive in Devices and tried to upgrade the driver for the only disk drive listed as well as the storage controllers and it say I have the newest ones. I have tried deleting the driver and re-booting and it still does not work. I have upgraded the BIOS and still nothing. I have searched all the devices in Device Manager and cannot find anything resembling Compaq SCSI Drive Array. I have used Microsoft and HP Update as well as the forums on those sites. I have tried switching from RAID to IDE to ACHI in BIOS and still nothing. Any suggestions? Thanks.

I am trying to upgrade my HP a1719n from Vista SP2 to Windows 7 Home Premium (using the upgrade DVD) without having to do a clean install. Before the installation starts I get this message.

The following issues are preventing Windows from upgrading. Cancel the upgrade, complete each task, and then restart the upgrade to continue.

• Windows needs to be restarted so necessary changes to system files can be made before continuing.

• For these items, make the following changes:

• Install updated drivers for the following devices. Open Control Panel and search for "update device drivers".

• Disk drives: Compaq SCSI Drive Array

I have gone to the only disk drive in Devices and tried to upgrade the driver for the only disk drive listed as well as the storage controllers and it say I have the newest ones. I have tried deleting the driver and re-booting and it still does not work. I have upgraded the BIOS and still nothing. I have searched all the devices in Device Manager and cannot find anything resembling Compaq SCSI Drive Array. I have used Microsoft and HP Update as well as the forums on those sites. I have tried switching from RAID to IDE to ACHI in BIOS and still nothing. Any suggestions? Thanks.
I'd either copy the DVD to your HD and install from there or create a bootable usb drive with your DVD files. Let Win7 worry about finding the necessary driver after install.

Hello and welcome to the windows7forums,

We all generally agree that upgrade is the wrong route to take.

It leaves hundreds of useless files on your system and can cause conflicts.

I'd suggest you perform a "clean" install

I do not know what they are referring to as SCSI either, it may be an errant message because it isn't sure exactly what it is.

Are you running a RAID, and if not is it turned off in the Bios? Do you have any external devices plugged in?

Just for info, are you connected to the net and did you select check for updates during the install?

You said you updated the drivers, which I would assume meant the chipset drivers?

I do not know what they are referring to as SCSI either, it may be an errant message because it isn't sure exactly what it is.

Are you running a RAID, and if not is it turned off in the Bios? Do you have any external devices plugged in?

Just for info, are you connected to the net and did you select check for updates during the install?

You said you updated the drivers, which I would assume meant the chipset drivers?

Thanks for everyone's responses...

I am currently running RAID, but have tried IDE and ACHI also. I have disconnected all external hard drivers, printers, and webcam. I have disabled as many device drivers as possible. I am connected to the net and do check for updates during the install. Each time, a small driver is updated but I do not know what it is. I have gone to Intel's website and updated the chipset driver. According to Microsoft, the only internal hard drive I have (Western Digital Caviar Blue WD2500JS) is Windows 7 compatible.

Here are my PC's hardware specs: Link Removed - Invalid URL

I don't have an answer for you, but
According to Microsoft, the only internal hard drive I have (Western Digital Caviar Blue WD2500JS) is Windows 7 compatible.

That is the most ridiculous statement I've heard.

You should have got this person's name, ID, or badge number and turn him in.

At one point I had 8 computers, many with very old IDE drives that I installed Windows 7 to successfully.

Jesus, great support, just like you get from the PC manufacturer's tech support

I am currently running RAID -- the only internal hard drive I have (Western Digital Caviar Blue WD2500JS) is Windows 7 compatible.
I do not understand this statement. But if you have the RAID controller turned on in the Bios, you may need a Matrix driver for it.

Since you motherboard is ASUS, you might be able to find some help there.

I don't have an answer for you, but

That is the most ridiculous statement I've heard.

You should have got this person's name, ID, or badge number and turn him in.

At one point I had 8 computers, many with very old IDE drives that I installed Windows 7 to successfully.

Jesus, great support, just like you get from the PC manufacturer's tech support

Am I missing something, reghakr? The hard drive is compatible according to Microsoft like I mentioned however there is nothing at Western Digital site to download
http://www.microsoft.com/windows/co...l&uid=WD2500JS&pf=0&pi=0&s=WD2500JS&os=32-bit

Also, calling HP tech support twice, they could not help and told me to call Microsoft. Calling Microsoft, I was told that I would need to update the newest drivers for my hard drive which I explained I already had or bring it to a technician somewhere to update the drivers for me. Not too useful.

What would you expect to download for a hard drive.

My Western Digital Caviar WD400BB 40GB EIDE Internal Hard Drive is also compatible on that site and it's at least 6 years old.

What would you expect to download for a hard drive.

My Western Digital Caviar WD400BB 40GB EIDE Internal Hard Drive is also compatible on that site and it's at least 6 years old.

I would not expect to download anything. Just going by what MS site is saying: "Free Download Required" I had downloaded all other WD software that is pertinent to my hard drive.

Last edited:
I'd either copy the DVD to your HD and install from there or create a bootable usb drive with your DVD files. Let Win7 worry about finding the necessary driver after install.

I tried copying the DVD to the hard drive and installing from there and I encountered the same problem.

Do you have any programs that run any virtual drives, or do you show any in device manager. In some cases, virtual drives created by something like alcohol 120% have caused driver problems.

Do you have any programs that run any virtual drives, or do you show any in device manager. In some cases, virtual drives created by something like alcohol 120% have caused driver problems.

No virtual drives and no programs like Alcohol 120%. I have two external WD drives but they have been disconnected since I have been trying to install Windows 7. The only attached peripherals are a mouse and keyboard. I have disabled my printer and webcam drivers. I have noticed when I have the BIOS set for RAID, my hard drive shows up just as a generic hard drive in Device Manager. When I switch to IDE, the model of hard drive is displayed. I tried to install Win 7 in safe mode just to see what would happen and I still got the message about the SCSI drive. I doubt there is any way to bypass the compatibility check of Windows 7 installation to get past this problem, is there?

Take a look at this link\"
Turn Off Program Compatibility Assistant — MAXIMUMpcguides – Windows 7 tips, tricks, help, and how-to guides

Also, just type \"disable compatibility check windows 7\" into your search engine

Thanks for the tip but that link is if you already running Windows 7 and it is not for any home versions of Windows 7. I am stuck in Vista SP2 trying to make it through the upgrade process

Note: This guide shows you how to make changes to Windows 7 using Group Policy. Group Policy is not available in Home versions of Windows 7.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom