Windows 7 Windows 7 Upgrade from Vista Home Premium

Chelston

Hi all, this is my first thread on this site as I have just ordered 7 Upgrade to load over Vista Home Premium and have a query. I understand that W7 does not have Windows Movie Maker as an application. As it will not be a clean install, when I install the upgrade will I loose Windows Movie Maker 6 from my PC or will it remain in situ. Should I save any ongoing movie projects I have on WMM6 to file and will they be there after upgrade if I do so. Appreciate any advice.

Hi all, this is my first thread on this site as I have just ordered 7 Upgrade to load over Vista Home Premium and have a query. I understand that W7 does not have Windows Movie Maker as an application. As it will not be a clean install, when I install the upgrade will I loose Windows Movie Maker 6 from my PC or will it remain in situ. Should I save any ongoing movie projects I have on WMM6 to file and will they be there after upgrade if I do so. Appreciate any advice.

As a general rule backing up your current projects is always the smart thing to do. I just ran the upgrade of Vista Home Premium to Windows 7 this past friday night, and I ran into a problem that trashed my Vista installation and I had to install Windows 7 from scratch.

The problem I experienced was the expanding files for installation freezing at 21%. I read online that quite a few others had experienced this same problem, but that it finished installation after sitting at 21% for about an hour. I let mine sit for 5 hours, and it never moved beyond that. Just a note to let you know what i experienced.. you may have no issues at all with your upgrade.

If the upgrade goes fine for you, It should leave windows movie maker in tact. That is unless windows movie maker 6 is completely incompatible with windows 7.. but so far every program that I had installed in Vista Home Premium is working just fine in windows 7.

Thanks for the reply and info Cirga. I think I may seriously consider whether or not I really require W7 before I go ahead . Has anyone else suffered the same problems as Cirga and if so any advice to offer?

If the Windows 7 version you have ordered is in the upgrade path you can do an in-place upgrade, although folks do not recommend it. Windows 7 does have DVD maker, but they removed the ability to capture video, so you have to have a third party software or something from Microsoft.

Thanks Saltgrass, my W7 has not yet been delivered but I will look at it carefully before I upgrade. I suppose I can download WWM6 from the Microsoft website should I decide to go that way.

Back