Windows 7 Windows 7 wireless wifi network failure...

BCraw87

Hello everyone,

Recently my laptops(Gateway M6850-FX) wifi (Intel(R) Wireless WiFi Link 4965AGN) has not been picking up any of my saved network connections. Instead, I have been receiving the message, not connected- no connections are available. Now I have read multiple suggestions that you have offered others that have been having similar problems, but yet I still am not picking up any signals... I have checked device manager, uninstalled my network adapters and let windows config reinstall them, reboot my ISP device as well as multiple other things, but I am still failing to receive any connection. However, when I plug in an ethernet cable, I can receive a connection. Therefore, I am pretty sure my wif driver is corrupted or not working properly. If there is any assistance that you could provide, I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks, Brendan

BCraw87:
Hello and welcome to the forum.
I suspect that you are already on the right track with your suspicions and informing us that the wired (ethernet) connection does work, surely helps with the diagnostic process. If you would please do the following;
on the problem machine open a command prompt and type
ipconfig /all
copy and paste it into your next post or copy and paste it into notepad and attach it to your next post.
Also type msinfo32 into the search box and hit enter, then
Choose file and save
Save to our desktop, zip and attach the system info report to your next post also.
Also, have you been able to experiment in other environments other than your home, just to make sure that the issue is with your wireless adapter card and not your router.
Also assuming that this wireless adapter has worked at some point recently, consider using device manager to do a driver roll-back or if very recently maybe a system restore to a restore point just before the problem first presented, may be an option.

Randy,

I have tried to use it at mutliple locations where I have saved a network. None of them seem to receive a connection from my laptop. Also, I did a system restore for 3 weeks prior when I knew the wifi was working, no luck. I also did did driver update and I believe I did a driver roll back, uninstall and let MSconfig automatically detect and download the drivers, no luck. However, I will double check into the driver roll back as this might work. Also, I will post my information later that you requested when I can get to my laptop. Thank you for your time! It is greatly appreciated!

OK, keep us posted and make sure you check device manager to make sure that you aren't having any associated hardware issues. Look for anything under "Other Devices" or anything marked with a yellow or red symbol.

All my drivers are operating fine according to my device manager... No red or yellow symbols on any of my drivers. :/

Well that's a good thing.
While I can appreciate your concern for security and privacy, I'm just not able to help through the PM system as it kinda defeats the whole purpose of the forum.
I will tell you however; that the results of the ipconfig /all information that you sent in the PM shows no indication that you have a wireless device installed at all. There is only a single reference to a Realtek PCIe FE Family Controller and a couple ISATAP tunnel adapters.
And regarding the msinfo32 information, there is nothing you need to extract, just open it, save it, zip it up using WinZip or 7Zip and attach it. But that is probably moot at this point. You need to go into device manager and expand network adapters and tell us what you see in the form of adapters installed. Or type ncpa.cpl into the search box hit enter and tell us what you see there regarding network adapters. It would seem that it's not present, but it may be just that it is disabled so examine that and keep us posted.
But we need to do it through the forum interface so everyone benefits and has the opportunity to contribute potential help. If you are not comfortable with that, I completely understand but it's the nature of the beast. You can always feel free to mask or edit some of the content if you would like, as long as it doesn't render the information unreadable or otherwise worthless to the diagnostic process.
EDIT: Also please make sure that you actually have the device turned on. In many cases laptops have a seperate switch or button that controls the wireless radio or else a combination of the Function Key (Fn) and another key, usually somewhere along the top row of the keyboard with an antenna icon and somebody's idea of radio waves coming from it. Check you computer documentation if you have it available.

Last edited:
Randy,

When I type in ncpa.cpl, my local area connection shows as well as my wireless network connection (which states that Intel(R) Wifi Link 4965AGN) is enabled. Also, in regards to the Fn, my wifi light appears to be on, but I still cannot find any of my saved networks to connect to.

Here is my ip info

Microsoft Windows [Version 6.1.7600]
Copyright (c) 2009 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.
C:\Users\B low N Mich>ipconfig/all
Windows IP Configuration
Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : BlowNMich-PC
Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . :
Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Hybrid
IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
DNS Suffix Search List. . . . . . : tampabay.rr.com
Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:
Connection-specific DNS Suffix . : tampabay.rr.com
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Realtek PCIe FE Family Controller
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-03-25-4E-4E-7F
DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes
Link-local IPv6 Address . . . . . : fe80::115a:4908:de56:2e14%18(Preferred)
IPv4 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.102(Preferred)
Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : Thursday, November 18, 2010 2:15:47 PM
Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : Friday, November 19, 2010 2:15:45 PM
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1
DHCP Server . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1
DHCPv6 IAID . . . . . . . . . . . : 419431205
DHCPv6 Client DUID. . . . . . . . : 00-01-00-01-13-63-12-81-00-03-25-4E-4E-7F
DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 65.32.5.111
NetBIOS over Tcpip. . . . . . . . : Enabled
Tunnel adapter isatap.tampabay.rr.com:
Media State . . . . . . . . . . . : Media disconnected
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Microsoft ISATAP Adapter #2
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-00-00-00-00-00-00-E0
DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : No
Tunnel adapter Local Area Connection* 12:
Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Teredo Tunneling Pseudo-Interface
IPv6 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 2001:0:4137:9e76:2ce7:396f:3f57:fe99(Pref
erred)
Link-local IPv6 Address . . . . . : fe80::2ce7:396f:3f57:fe99%15(Preferred)
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : ::
NetBIOS over Tcpip. . . . . . . . : Disabled
C:\Users\B low N Mich>

Also, when I check the status of my IPv4 and IPv6, both appear to be not connected. However, my driver is enabled and operating fine according to my device manager...

Normally I would suggest rebuilding the IP stack and the winsock catalog, but your wired connection is good so I don't suspect that that is a problem.
So check and make sure that you have the latest driver for that card and your version of windows 7 from here http://downloadcenter.intel.com/Sea...ductProduct=Intel®+Wireless+WiFi+Link+4965AGN
Also consider examining all the various areas of the adapter's driver properties and check for anything from within the driver where you can control the radio. See attachment.

First off, I went to Intel and downloaded recommended updated driver, but I am pretty sure that it was the same driver update that I had already installed a few months ago. Also I am not sure if it actually installed as I double clicked it an a little wifi avatar popped up showing loading signs and than went away. Perhaps it was loaded, but usually a prompt is given stating that driver has been installed successfully or something in that nature. Secondly, under my advanced settings tab, I do not have a radio on/off sublink. Instead, wireless mode, transfer power, roaming aggressiveness, mixed mode protection, the usual ad Hocs and 802.11n mode and 802.11 channel width for band 5.2. This is starting to become a real hassle figuring out the problem lol. I really appreciate all the help you have been providing though!

Also, under the advanced tab there was a fat channel intolerant, which I have never heard of...

Randy, it has been a while and first off I hope you had a great holiday! With that said, I recently purchased a usb wireless adapter, which in return still failed to deliver any form of connection or pick up any of the networks that I have had saved on my laptop for a while. Now I did some outside research (I reset my WINSOCK, my IPV4 an ipv6. All were successful but the ipv6 one which stated, there's no user specified setting to be reset). Also, under my network sharing, when I click see full map, it states that "the adapter is not connected". I know I have probably been a real burden to you, but this has been a major problem and it appears that a solution is taking its sweet time. If you could get back to me, I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks Randy!

I'd be more than happy to do what I can to help. I will need to see a current result from a command prompt type ipconfig /all copy and paste it into your next post so I know what we're looking at and we'll go from there.

Microsoft Windows [Version 6.1.7600]
Copyright (c) 2009 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.
C:\Users\B low N Mich>ipconfig/all
Windows IP Configuration
Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : BlowNMich-PC
Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . :
Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Hybrid
IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
DNS Suffix Search List. . . . . . : tampabay.rr.com
Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Realtek PCIe FE Family Controller
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-03-25-4E-4E-7F
DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
Link-local IPv6 Address . . . . . : fe80::115a:4908:de56:2e14%18(Preferred)
IPv4 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.102(Preferred)
Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : Monday, December 06, 2010 6:46:11 PM
Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : Tuesday, December 07, 2010 6:48:10 PM
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1
DHCP Server . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1
DHCPv6 IAID . . . . . . . . . . . : 419431205
DHCPv6 Client DUID. . . . . . . . : 00-01-00-01-13-63-12-81-00-03-25-4E-4E-7F
DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 65.32.5.111
NetBIOS over Tcpip. . . . . . . . : Enabled
Tunnel adapter isatap.tampabay.rr.com:
Media State . . . . . . . . . . . : Media disconnected
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Microsoft ISATAP Adapter #2
Tunnel adapter Local Area Connection* 12:
Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Teredo Tunneling Pseudo-Interface
IPv6 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 2001:0:4137:9e76:87d:186d:3f57:fe99(Prefe
rred)
Link-local IPv6 Address . . . . . : fe80::87d:186d:3f57:fe99%15(Preferred)
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : ::
NetBIOS over Tcpip. . . . . . . . : Disabled

Also, did you get a chance to check that website out to see if any of those options would be proficient or not for me to try??? Thanks!

Unless I'm completely blind, I see not indication of any wireless adapter listed as a result of the information from ipconfig /all. So we are back to square one. Check device manager, is it showing either or both wireless adapters, the original one as well as the new usb purchase?
I read the link and all associated posts in that thread. The problem there was an issue with DNS. You really haven't gotten that far yet since we are not seeing the wireless adapters. Even if they aren't connecting they should still show up in ipconfig /all with at least APIPA addresses if nothing else. So we need to figure out why you aren't seeing them. Make sure they are not disabled and make sure the current drivers for either or both are installed.

Both devices are installed, updated and are labeled as "working properly". However, I still am receiving a red x over my level of connection and no networks are found...

Check services
type services.msc into the search box and hit enter
scoll down to
WLAN AutoConfig double click it
make sure it is started and the startup type is set to automatic

Back
Top Bottom