Windows 7 Windows 7 wont Auto Update

BassJunkie84

I got a warning in the message centre telling me that windows in unable to auto update i rtied munually updating and that won't work either, how do i fix this?

Here are some ways to resolving Windows Update Problems:
Windows 7 Will Not Update - How to Solve Problems for Windows 7 Updates

But in order to really help, please give more information about your problem. When you say "doesn't work", do you mean it won't even let you find updates? Will it find them but not let you download them? Will it download them but not install them? Will it try to install them and then you get an error saying it didn't not install successfully?
Is it ALL updates or just one? If it's just one or a few, what are the updates called?

Clear your DNS cache and restore MS's original hosts file

Copy and paste these lines in Note pad.
@Echo on
pushd\windows\system32\drivers\etc
attrib -h -s -r hosts
echo 127.0.0.1 localhost>HOSTS
attrib +r +h +s hosts
popd
ipconfig /release
ipconfig /renew
ipconfig /flushdns
netsh winsock reset all
netsh int ip reset all
shutdown -r -t 1
del %0

Save as flush.bat to your desktop. Right click on the .bat file and choose to run as Administrator. Your computer will reboot itself.

Last edited:
Clear your DNS cache and restore MS's original hosts file

Copy and paste these lines in Note pad.
@Echo on
pushd\windows\system32\drivers\etc
attrib -h -s -r hosts
echo 127.0.0.1 localhost>HOSTS
attrib +r +h +s hosts
popd
ipconfig /release
ipconfig /renew
ipconfig /flushdns
netsh winsock reset all
netsh int ip reset all
shutdown -r -t 1
del %0

Save as flush.bat to your desktop. Right click on the .bat file and choose to run as Administrator. Your computer will reboot itself.

thanks m8, this fixed my problem.

HI

I'm new here and have been searching several places for a solution. For about 3 months now my updater hasn't been able to install the updates. I have been able to download some of them. I currently have 34 updates waiting to be downloaded and installed. The problem occurs when I try to download them. I've tried 1 at a time and that did not work either. I also tried the above method and another one listed on another post.

http://windows7forums.com/windows-7-support/28376-wont-update-windowsupdate_80070570-error.html

Neither of which have helped. I'm not sure what else to do at this point. I'm having problems with my HHD disappearing and am hoping that a fix is in one of the updates for now I guess I will have to search manually and try updating them that way. Apparently the last update that was successful was 3-22-11, I don't know if that means anything to anyone but it's been that long. Any help would be appreciated.

Win7 64
AMD M4A89GTD PRO \USB3
AMD Phenom X6 1090T
I.E. 8 (I.E. 9 won't install through updater)
Time and date are set correctly.
Can't think of any other info that would help.

Steven

Would you happen to know if you are hiding language updates? There are around 32 of those.

There are several threads about Windows Update problems, including explaining what log files might help and how to get them. The error you show seems to be a corrupt file.

The log files may give a clue, but several things could be at work. One is your internet connection, which seems to be essential for Windows 7. Even had one poster that had switched to DSL for his internet and was able to download XP updates but not Windows 7.

One of the services may be missing or not running. Perhaps opening an administrative command prompt and typing SFC /scannow would restore some system file that might be having a problem.

Some folks have chosen to rename the SoftwareDistribution folder in the Windows folder. This will cause the system to rebuild the update system, but this should not be done first. But if something has gotten corrupted, it might correct it.

If you want, open the WindowsUpdate.log in the Windows folder and copy the last few days worth of entries and attach as a text file using the paperclip. If you believe the last updates were around 3/11, then you might want to include a few starting there also. The ReportingEvents.log in the Windows\SoftwareDistribution folder might give some information as to the last updates installed. Some of these may need to be copied to the desktop to be able to open.

There are other procedures suggested online and several at Microsoft.

I'm not hiding any updates according to the hidden list. It appears most updates are security related.

SS here: Link Removed due to 404 Error

The first update appears to be downloaded and further down there are a few that say pending. The rest state the update is ready for downloading.

Initially when I click update it says installing for about 2 seconds and the switches to "downloading updates" where it hangs with "Downloading 35 updates (0 KB total, 0% complete)" for about 5 minutes then it tries to install Killbits get about 1/2 done and says fail.

I tried to unselect them all and install them 1 by 1 with the oldest first and that failed as well. I manually downloaded the files and I got 1 of them to install the rest failed.

Here's a partial list of failed updates it goes back to yesterday repeating most of them. All failed updates are stating code 80070570.

Failed list: Link Removed due to 404 Error

While searching through the microsoft help site I found a place to download the updater and install it, after I ran the program I got error code 0X80070570.

According to the windows update log I'm seeing alot of this:

" Update 2C37E39E-9399-46DB-9F3E-826C181EBEA1 is "Priority" regulated and can NOT download. Sequence 6121 vs AcceptRate 4770."

I'm not sure what that means. I'll attach the file.

For now I'll continue searching. Thanks for the tips.

Steven

P.S. I recently switched from DSL to Cable and am still having problems.

Attachments

• Steve's Updater errors.zip
    191.8 KB · Views: 215
Your logs seem to indicate quite a bit of effort has been spent trying to download KB2524375 and KB2508272. So check your update history to see if these are installed. If they are, try to uninstall them.

If they are not yet installed, go to the Microsoft Update Catalog, and search for and download the updates and try to install manually.

It still appears some type of file corruption is causing the problem. Since the corruption is probably not on the Microsoft Server, it may be on yours. You may want to turn off Automatic updates and start checking yourself for a period of time.

If the corruption is on your system, like a partial bad download, you might search your system to see if the KB numbers show up in some directory like C:\Windows\servicing\Packages or C:\Windows\System32\catroot.

If none of this works, and you don't have any anti-virus programs for firewalls that might be interfering, I think the next thing I would do is to rename the SoftwareDistribution folder.

Last edited:
I searched the website you suggested, great site by the way thanks, and downloaded the updates for my version win7 64 and it failed the installation. Upon looking into the C:\Windows\servicing\Packages I found alot of packages, but none with those numbers. I also checked C:\Windows\System32\catroot and found no matches as well.

As far as renaming the software distribution folder to something else, can I change it to anything? In a different guide I changed the folder name to softwaredistribution.old. I believe that reset the Updater as I have a folder named "SoftwareDistribution" and one called "SoftwareDistribution.old". I will however wait for your reply before going any further as I'm in over my head.

Thank you for your time I'm learning a bit here.

Steven

Last edited:
The download in the previous post is the Microsoft fixit utility. It should hopefully reset the windows update components.

As nmusk says, you can rename it whatever you want. The one you suggest is fine. It will take some time for Windows Update to catch up. It will not reinstall updates, but check to make sure they are installed. Hopefully whatever got messed up will be replaced.

There is a site also referred to that has some troubleshooting steps that might help. It involves re-registering some components and some additional possible solutions.

If you work on this for a while and can't get anything to work, you always have the option to do a repair install--if you have the install media.

So I ran the program and I don't know if I did something, the hardware glitched or it was the program, but it completely messed up my boot manager. My PC wouldn't start and I ended up reinstalling the OS entirely. The repair didn't work and a rollback didn't work. However the good news is the updater works now. All my stuff is still here it's just a matter of moving it. I suspect the updater problem was way deeper then what I thought although I hadn't been getting any other errors.

I appreciate you guys taking time to help me with my issues and providing me with good informational websites. It appears my issue is resolved with the fresh OS. Thanks again guys I appreciate it.

Steven

Sorry you had to reinstall, maybe a warning needs to be given before using the utility. I have just run it in the non-aggressive and aggressive modes and it did not seem to bother my boot.

Glad to hear it is working now and maybe something more complicated was going on with your system as you suggest.

Just in case something might happen again, as you probably noticed, the logs run themselves out after about 30-45 days. So if something goes wrong 3 months before it will probably not be in the log. For a while, until you see if things are working normally, you might want to start keeping a copy of the WindowsUpdate.log every so often, so you will have a record.

Back