Windows 7 Windows 7057 Upgrade Issue

buddy666

Hello,
Yesterday I've installed Windows 7057 (RC1), I upgraded it from 7048 with a mounted image. I already managed the problem with notepad starting up on each boot up but the new windows boots up for about 10 minutes and when it finally shows my desktop it keeps causing problems. I can move the mouse but suddenly I can't click on anything, than gadgets load up and system makes another freez althoug a gadget shows Core1: 2% Core2: 3% and RAM: 70% FREE, after some minutes it runs ok but freezes when I start installing/uinstalling. All in all full boot up takes up to 15 minutes :/ Any solution ? Thank you for further replies.
My computer:
Core2Duo E8400, 3,5GHz
EP43-S3L Gigabyte Motherboard
2GB HyperX Kingston CL4 ( Dual channel )
250GB SATA (here is the system installed) & 80GB IDE
GF 9600GT Gigabyte MCC

How did you solve it? It's not a show stopper, but I would like to know why. Build 7022 did not have this.

Thanks in advance.

Found this:

Startup Bug, Desktop.ini Opens in Notepad on Every Boot – FIX
This is an odd bug, mostly due to the fact that some instances of desktop.ini are visible and not set to system and hidden. Fortunately the fix for this is quite easy:​
  1. Navigate to C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Startup​
  2. Delete desktop.ini​
  3. Navigate to C:\Users\USERNAME\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Startup​
  4. Delete desktop.ini if present.​

Found this:

This is an odd bug, mostly due to the fact that some instances of desktop.ini are visible and not set to system and hidden. Fortunately the fix for this is quite easy:​
  2. Delete desktop.ini​
  3. Navigate to C:\Users\USERNAME\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Startup​
Thanks, that did it.

Can someone please help me, as far as I know, I'm not the only one with that problem. And I don't want to format my C:\

Found this:

2. Delete desktop.ini​
Apparently I'm more of a computer idiot than I thought, but there is no "programdata" file or "appdata" file. I am not able to follow your file string on 1 or 3.

nevermind, figured it out.

Last edited:
I'm experiencing the same problem as you buddy666. Have tried almost everything I can come up with, but still no luck.
My computer is a Acer Aspire L5100, And I'm pretty sure it is a hardware related problem. But what? Now that I can not tell.
If you come up with a solution, feel free to share with me, I will sure as hell share it with you.

Same here on an eee pc 901 with build 7057

i did some testing and it seems to be related to the Sata drive. using my old (pata) ssd everything installs and runs smoothly, but when using my Sata ssd install take ages and very slow startup.

also device manager seems to hang when i double click the sata drive.

Maybe if I try to load the SATA-drivers when installing, it might solve it.
I do not have a SSD in the machine. Just a regular Sata-drive.
I'll give it a try tomorrow to see if it might solve it.

Thanks for the tip:)

Found this:

2. Delete desktop.ini​
Yupp! That did it. Thanks. :)

I did the upgrade from 7048 to 7057 and everything worked fine except the ATI Catalyst. Refused to uninstalled/installed:confused:

@jlp09550

The Desktop.ini error is not causing this problem. 100% positive about this. If this were the case, then millions of people would have the same problem. I have googled this problem, but only found two threads in forums about this issue. And both are in this forum. My thread and this thread. But thanks for your contribution:)
http://windows7forums.com/members/jlp09550.html

I tried doing a fresh install on a different harddrive. No such luck.
Beginning to think it's the Chipset-drivers that are messing it up. The chipset-drivers that are contained in Win7

Last edited:
i have lost Network icon since i upgraded to build 7057 from 7048. it is disables in' turn icons on or off' window.it permanentyl says off! how to get it on?!

i have lost Network icon since i upgraded to build 7057 from 7048. it is disables in' turn icons on or off' window.it permanentyl says off! how to get it on?!

I have not lost mine, but it takes much longer to make the network icon become active. In fact sometimes I have to launch the browser to make the icon show its connected state. This didn't happen in build 7022.

Back