Windows 8 Windows 8.1 back up questions plus optimize extra drives

I still have not been able to get the Rescue Media to boot. (from Macrium Reflect standard version trial) I think it is because I went from Win 8 to upgrade in store to Win8.1....I finally decided to get the trial version today. It downloaded software for the rescue disk, but STILL did not work. It kept saying put in a rewritable disk or clean disk. I even tried to hit rebuild I don't know how many times, and finally just went to ISO copy, and then burned it with the Cyber Link Media Suite. It didn't give me the option to burn it slowly, it only went max speed, that may also be a problem. I changed dvds, finally went to a cd...and then I put the ISO on that. I had an option of PE3, or PE4 at first. (I chose PE4) But now I think I should download PE5, since it is for Win8.1... For those familiar with this, please advice.

I still have not been able to get the Rescue Media to boot. (from Macrium Reflect standard version trial) I think it is because I went from Win 8 to upgrade in store to Win8.1....I finally decided to get the trial version today. It downloaded software for the rescue disk, but STILL did not work. It kept saying put in a rewritable disk or clean disk. I even tried to hit rebuild I don't know how many times, and finally just went to ISO copy, and then burned it with the Cyber Link Media Suite. It didn't give me the option to burn it slowly, it only went max speed, that may also be a problem. I changed dvds, finally went to a cd...and then I put the ISO on that. I had an option of PE3, or PE4 at first. (I chose PE4) But now I think I should download PE5, since it is for Win8.1... For those familiar with this, please advice.

Hi kkay.
Regarding the extra drives. If you go into "disk management" does the extra drive show up in blue ? If so that is the back up that you created. Right click on it and left click "Eject" and it will un mount it.
Its a virtual hard drive and contains your back up. You have done it.

This is what it shows. I am not sure which blue one you mean. Do you mean the top one that shows 500mg right under VOLUME?

Attachments

• disk management screen shot 4-5-14.jpg
    disk management screen shot 4-5-14.jpg
    240.5 KB · Views: 419
I notice that you have efi. I'm not familiar with that. I have mbr but i can relate to you having an extra drive appear after making an image back up. It happened to me and it took a while to fathom out it was my back up. Windows 8 and 8.1 can mount VHD files and iso's. Thats what its done i think. It looks just as if you have added an extra hard drive.

On my pc that recovery image is in blue. Obviously yours isn't. I guess thats down to your system being EFI and therefore different to mine.
I notice you have two partitions of 500gb. I would think one of them contains your system image and the other is your active system.

Back