Windows 8 Windows 8.1 DRP 8.1 problem

mrJoeBlack

RDP ofcorse ;-) Faster fingers than thoughts. I have a problem. On my computer from Windows 8.1 I am trying to connect to a remote desktop (Windows 10). I succeed, but I can not do anything. As if it was frozen. I see the desktop and that's it.
I turned off the antivirus. I shut down the firewall. Nothing helps.
From another computer with Windows 7 there is no problem. Everything works.

What could be the reason? Something blocking the connection? Any problems with certificates?
Can I re-install rdp 8.1? Possibly go down to 8.0?
Strange accidents. I have no idea.

Thanks.
Remote computer (Windows 10) is fine. Works with other computers without problems. With my Windows 7 also. The problem is only one computer with Windows 8.1.
I thought about this app, but it's a half-measure. I prefer the built-in tool RDP.

The problem is that I have everything configured the same on two computers. With Windows 7 (everything works) with Windows 8 (not working).
I turned on the desktop as you showed it.
I think it could be:
- any application that blocks access,
- probelm with certificate,
- problem with RDP version,
- maybe port,

The remote desktop is loading. I see him, but I can not do anything.
Do you know what patches RDP has? Maybe I could re-install it.

The problem is that I have everything configured the same on two computers. With Windows 7 (everything works) with Windows 8 (not working).
I turned on the desktop as you showed it.
I think it could be:
- any application that blocks access,
- probelm with certificate,
- problem with RDP version,
- maybe port,

The remote desktop is loading. I see him, but I can not do anything.
Do you know what patches RDP has? Maybe I could re-install it.
I did a little hunting around and found this page which looks like it contains updates specific to win 8.1 RDP:
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us...updates-for-remote-desktop-services-in-window

Hopefully you'll find something which will help and hopefully others will comment too.

If it connects it's not a port, cert or RDP version issue. When you connect how far does it get? Loading user profile or can you see the desktop?

The patches did not do anything :/ Sometimes I see a black screen. Sometimes a blurry startup screen. Sometimes blurry icons on your desktop. At best I see the desktop, but I can not do anything.

You can try running this code to repair WMI which needs to be in a working state for RDP
You will need to run it from an elevated powershell window.

This command needs to return that the repositories are consistent, if they are type y at the prompt.
winmgmt /verifyrepository

$result = Read-Host -Prompt "Repos in consistent state? (Y/N)"

Reboot after running this.

Code:
Stop-Service -Name "TermService" -Force

Set-Location -Path "C:\Windows\System32\Wbem"
$DLLs = Get-ChildItem *.dll

foreach ($dll in $DLLs)
{
    regsvr32.exe /s "$($dll.FullName)"
}

regsvr32.exe /s "C:\Windows\System32\tscfgwmi.dll"
wmiprvse /regserver
winmgmt /verifyrepository

$result = Read-Host -Prompt "Repos in consistent state? (Y/N)"

if($result.ToLower() -eq "y")
{
    Write-Host "Continuing repair..."
    $MOFs = Get-ChildItem *.mof
    foreach ($mof in $MOFs)
    {
        mofcomp.exe $mof
    }

Restart-Service -Name "Winmgmt" -Force
    Start-Service -Name "TermService"
}
else
{
    Start-Service -Name "TermService"
    Write-Host "Exiting..."
    exit
}

I would also look in event viewer for any RDS errors on the Windows 10 box.

In event viewer
"Applications and Services Logs" > Microsoft > Windows > RemoteDesktopServices-<Service> > Operational logs

No solution has helped. In addition, I reinstalled the drivers and patches. That did not work. I do not know if it will reinstall Windows. Eventually. Do you have any ideas yet? :/

Back