Windows 8.1 Internet Explorer disappeard from Modern UI

jpolito1

I have a desktop and laptop that I updated from Windows 7 to Windows 8 and now to Windows 8.1. A few days ago Internet Explorer 11 disappeared from the modern UI on both machines (I do synchronize settings with SkyDrive). It woks fine in the desktop interface. I frankly don't use in in the Modern UI, but I don't like the fact that it just disappeared.

IE does not show up when I use the Store to look at All Apps on my computers, and it does not show up using the Win 8.1 "Start Button". I also can't find it the Store to download.

Ideas? Thanks.

davehc

Essential Member
Premium Supporter
First, open , in IE Tools - Internet options - Programs and, if "Open Internet Explorer on the desktop" , is ticked - untick it. This may be sufficient,
Otherwise.
Open the Control Panel - Default programs -Set your default programs.
When the list opens, select IE and, on the right bottom "Set this program as the default."

bassfisher6522

Essential Member
Simply put, it will only show if IE is set as the default web browser. To get it to show up, just follow davehc excellent advice.

davidhk129

...............It woks fine in the desktop interface. I frankly don't use in in the Modern UI, but I don't like the fact that it just disappeared.

Any chance it was accidentally "unpinned" from Start?
Go to Start page > type internet explorer > under the search box, right click at Internet Explorer...
is Pin to Start option on the list?
If yes, click it.

jpolito1

...............It woks fine in the desktop interface. I frankly don't use in in the Modern UI, but I don't like the fact that it just disappeared.

Any chance it was accidentally "unpinned" from Start?
Go to Start page > type internet explorer > under the search box, right click at Internet Explorer...
is Pin to Start option on the list?
If yes, click it.
I tried the suggestion from davehc. Basically, everything was set as he specified, but I undid and redid everything again. No change. I also tried the suggestion of pinning it to the start page. When I typed Internet Explorer in the search box, the only "program" that showed up is a shortcut I have on my desktop to the 64 bit version of IE. I can pin it to Start, of course, but all that does is open IE on the desktop if I click it on the Start page.

davidhk129

Obviously I have misunderstood your question, but I don't know where or how.

I thought you said IE had disappeared in Start page.
I speculated that it was unpinned, hence I asked you to re-pin it back on Start page.
You did that and IE is now on Start page.
Is it not what you want?
I am confused.

jpolito1

Obviously I have misunderstood your question, but I don't know where or how.

I thought you said IE had disappeared in Start page.
I speculated that it was unpinned, hence I asked you to re-pin it back on Start page.
You did that and IE is now on Start page.
Is it not what you want?
I am confused.

Sorry if I caused any confusion. With Win 8, I had created a shortcut to the 64 bit version of IE and stored it in the Start Menu folder under my user name. When I updated to Win 8.1, Win 8.1 deleted that shortcut, so I recreated it. I can, of course, pin that shortcut to the Start page, but when I click it, it opens the desktop and opens an instance of IE 64 bit (not the modern UI).

After my last post and your last post, I deleted that shortcut I had created, and lo, it fixed the whole problem. IE now appeared on the Win 8.1 Start menu, so I right clicked it and pinned it to Start. Now I have IE on the Start Page and when I click it, it opens the modern UI of IE.

Who would have thunk? Thank you for your help.

davidhk129

..............but all that does is open IE on the desktop if I click it on the Start page.

Mine does.
I clicked at Internet Explorer and it opened up on the desktop.
Image 1.png

Image 3.png

davidhk129

Very well.
As long as you have it sorted, that's the only thing that matters.

This website is not affiliated, owned, or endorsed by Microsoft Corporation. It is a member of the Microsoft Partner Program.