Windows 8 Windows 8.1 Preview now available.

Re: Best Practice Reminder for Betas!!

They will still do it, Drew. I am on another site where they are busy finding ways to eliminate the watermark (easily done). But to what purpose. The same site will undoubtedly come up with a way to circumvent expiry and/or activation and the members will be using the Beta as there finished OS for a while yet.

As an aside. For Mike or Kemical.

I can see there is not a great deal of enthusiasm - yet - to comment on Windows 8.1. However, I drifted into the thread, once again, "Why do people hate the new start screen". I found that it now has posts discussing Windows 8.1.

Perhaps time to start a separate section on Windows 8.1. There are differences, albeit small, and the less experienced members seeking help might be confused by the differing help offered?

Last edited by a moderator:

I do believe I am observing IE11 to be more stable than IE10.

Cheers,
Drew

Written in Windows 8.1

No. This is a sub thread/sticky, under the forum title "Windows 8 software"

This may emphasise what I mean. From another forum. They have just decided to creatye a dedicated section. Just look at the posts!!

8.1.PNG

Last edited by a moderator:

It is my belief, that, in the Microsoft programming section, and, in particular, in the portion dedicated to Windows 8.1/feedback, there lurks a malicious programmer with, either, a sense of humour or, unable to comprehend simple requests.

If you look through the astronomical number of complaints, regarding the menu, 70% refer to the "Start button". I have even remarked on this several time in earlier posts.
What users really wanted was a return to the old menu style. This evil gnome has given back what they asked for - the start button.

Slight correction:

NOW, they have a permanent, on the Taskbar, Start button. The pop-up Start button @ the Bottom-Left Corner, that was always there, still remains. And it can now be chosen whether said Start button goes to Start or ALL Applications/Programs.

I'll start a dedicated Windows 8.1 thread, Jim. :)

Cheers,
Drew
Win8Logo (2013_02_06 10_30_24 UTC).jpg.1

Windows 8.1 Discussion

It can be obtained here, anytime... Windows 8.1 Preview - Microsoft Windows

I now have Windows 8.1 running as a VM. A few of the changes people may find appealing.

I am now running Windows 8.1 as a VM. No, nobody got the old (Windows 7) start menu (back). But, there are a few things people did want that they probably will like, well maybe they will... some are hard to please.

1. Can be told to boot to Desktop.
2. Can toggle between Start & All Applications screens
3. Can make the Applications display by Name.
4. Can have applications show (1st) instead of Start.
5. Shutdown & Restart can be found on the Power Users menu
6. Some of the navigation may be felt to be generally more appealing.
7. Having consistent background across all screens is nice.
8. A start button on the Taskbar.
9. Not a slew of Tiles on Start; things, instead, can, still, be told to be there.
10. 4 digit PIN to sign-in.
11. Open APPs on the Switcher Bar are labeled

Cheers,
Drew

PS: Written in Windows 8.1

Best Practice Reminder for BETAS!

It seems, from some of what I read, this needs be mentioned, again...

Right now we have Windows 8.1 Preview available. IT IS A BETA!

Once it goes RTM, it will be pushed out to Users who, already, have Windows 8 via Windows Updates later this summer. Until then...

DO NOT upgrade (or overwrite) your Windows 8 w/ the 8.1 Preview. DO NOT replace your Windows 8 w/ Windows 8.1 Preview.

Only install Windows 8.1 Preview on a spare box, as a dual-boot or as a virtual machine in Hyper-V on your Windows 8 host machine.

Cheers,
Drew

Re: Best Practice Reminder for BETAS!

Don't forget this option; an extra/spare HDD as a clean install and use F12 to boot directly to that HDD. Not necessarily to be consider a dual boot option...not sure what to call it really...but still a good viable option none the less.

Ok, I started a Windows 8.1 thread under Discussion. Please, close this thread. Thanks.

Cheers,
Drew
Windows 8.1

Re: Best Practice Reminder for BETAS!

Personally, even w/ the ability to use the Windows button on the Taskbar to go to All Applications

I, still, prefer to have an Applications window on the Taskbar. I like having an 'old fashioned' alphabetical listing and, still, like not having to change screens (from Desktop). I use this approach in Windows 8, always have and I, actually, am going to still use it even in Windows 8.

Cheers,
Drew

Ok, I started a Windows 8.1 thread under Discussion. Please, close this thread. Thanks.

Cheers,
Drew
Windows 8.1

This is an official forum sticky and will not be closed.

Your thread has been merged with this one to save confusion.

I thank you, Kemical. I feared yet another thread starting!

I thank you, Kemical. I feared yet another thread starting!

As long as it doesn't conflict with what's already posted then fine. Having multiple threads about the same thing just gets confusing for the end user.

Yes, someone had pointed out to me that there were multiple 8.1 threads & some in not the best of sections. I couldn't do anything except to try to put one in a sensible section & have someone else get everything in one place. (So) Thanks for helping to tidy things a bit & have good organization to the threads.

Cheers,
Drew

Oh. Crap. Getting a bit long to read through all the posts - that why I was keen to have a separate section. Sorry Kemmy.

Back
Top Bottom