Windows 8 Windows 8.1 - Problems - Pin "Calulator" to taskbar, Scrolling files & Image transfer from Camera

Ravi R

I am totally unhappy about windows 8. Many good features from earlier windows are missing such as -

1) You can not pin "Calculator" to the task bar. In earlier versions you could open the calculator, over other windows.
2) While scrolling to folders / files in Explorer or any software, the screen jumps abruptly to up or down
3) While transferring Images from camera. You can not select part images for transfer along with renaming. This feature was available in Windows XP

RE : Calculator - unable to Pin to Taskbar
Why not? I can with my Win 8.1 Pro.
Maybe members using Win 8 would like to jump in for comments?

Image 1.png

Image 2.png

Last edited:
RE : screen jumps up and down while scrolling
Perhaps you might want to check the resolution as well as checking to make sure all drivers are updated ?

RE : Camera
I don't use that option. Can't comment.

You can pin the calculator to the task bar in Win 8 and Win 8.1. Mine has been pinned with no problems at all. As for the screen jumping up and down it could be your mouse if you use the wheel to scroll with.

Ravi,

Answering in reverse order:

#3. There is no problem or inability to transfer images in Win8.1. Not clear what is meant, in this case, by "partial image"; certainly an image can be saved & then cropped in Paint.
#2. This has been adequately answered, already. The OS has no issue, or bug to make it culpable.
#1. False. Anything in Win8.1 can be Pinned to Start and or Taskbar. There are 2 methods to achieve this.
A. As shown in the screenshot via Search
B. Using ALL Applications, Rt Clk desired item > Open File Location. Once there, Rt Clk & again, choose Pin to Start & or Pin to Taskbar.

Personally, have not found any lack of functionality, inability to do things or features missing in Win8.1. Does everything as well or better than prior Windows. I am totally happy about Windows 8.1 (or 8.0, for that matter).

Cheers,
Drew
290_Windows8_1.jpg

The calculator icon is on my task bar, but it does not work when used - I am only able to access the calculator through the windows app charms.

Please advise

The calculator icon is on my task bar, but it does not work when used - I am only able to access the calculator through the windows app charms.

Please advise
Unpin it.
Go here C:\WINDOWS\system32
Scroll and find calc.exe
Right click it and choose pin to taskbar.

Glad to have helped. Thanks for joining our community and updating us with your results.
Welcome to the forum.

I just want to clarify about Calculator. There are, actually, 2. One which we have always had in the OS itself. That is the calc.exe you found. There is, also, a Windows (Store) Calculator 'APP'. Either can be used & pinned. I kind of like the 'Look & Feel' of the APP one.

Cheers,
Drew
290_Windows8_1.jpg

Not at all sure why someone would want to use that big ugly app, but I suppose it is all dependent on personal preferences.
The normal native Windows Calculator is equally robust. Using the View tab from the toolbar menu you can pretty much do anything at all with the native calculator that you can do with that other thing.
With a whole lot less screen real estate exhausted.

I just want to clarify about Calculator. There are, actually, 2. One which we have always had in the OS itself. That is the calc.exe you found. There is, also, a Windows (Store) Calculator 'APP'. Either can be used & pinned. I kind of like the 'Look & Feel' of the APP one.

Cheers,
Drew
View attachment 27058
The "APP one" did "pin" to the taskbar, but would not execute for me. It does work when I access the APP as a charm from the start.

Not at all sure why someone would want to use that big ugly app, but I suppose it is all dependent on personal preferences.
The normal native Windows Calculator is equally robust. Using the View tab from the toolbar menu you can pretty much do anything at all with the native calculator that you can do with that other thing.
With a whole lot less screen real estate exhausted.

Of course, personally, I rarely use any APP full screen. But, yes, can be thought of, certainly, as either or...just letting Folks know what is available.

Cheers,
Drew
290_Windows8_1.jpg

Back