Windows 8 Windows 8.1 sound issue, No driver Needed for Speakers

I have some Ion speakers that don't need separate drivers. Since the update to 8.1, the only sound I can get is from the computer itself, which I have to say, is rather disappointing in comparison to the speakers that I have even with the Beats Audio.

My computer is an HP Envy running a Core i5 4200M 2.5 GH, 16gig @ 16 bit.

Any help would be greatly appreciated as I have a lot of sound files I have to work on immediately.

Denise

Press [windows key] + [x] and select the "device manager"… any driver errors will show up.
dm.png

These are speakers connected from one of the audio output sockets?

Have you tried, in the Control panel, opening "Sound" and seeing what is displayed there. You may find you have the wrong default. If in doubt, post a clip of the Sound - Playback Window.

Hi Denise,
have you tried unplugging the speakers then reconnecting to see if Windows 'see's' them? Also since your update to 8.1 you could well be missing a driver or two. Laptop drivers are supplied by the manufacturer and I'd check the downloads section for your machine via the HP site:
http://www8.hp.com/us/en/support.html

If you post the full model number I'll post an exact link if you have issues finding it.

Hi

How are the speakers connected to your computer, I see that these can be connected wirelessly via Bluetooth.

If that's how you have it connected check the Bluetooth drivers for Windows 8 and check Bluetooth setup in Device Manager as USSNorway suggested.

See if it says that Bluetooth is working normally.

Mike

These speakers are connected via cable, and no driver is necessary, just the jack - the same jack that you would use for the headset. The computer is not discovering the speakers. That is the issue. The model number is hp envy model m6-n012dx. So far this is still not working with all the tries listed thus far.

These speakers are connected via cable, and no driver is necessary, just the jack - the same jack that you would use for the headset. The computer is not discovering the speakers. That is the issue. The model number is hp envy model m6-n012dx. So far this is still not working with all the tries listed thus far.

This is the driver support page for your model:
http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/...en&cc=us&dlc=en&sw_lang=&product=6947891#N467

Try applying the driver updates and see how you go.

I reinstalled the driver and it is not recognizing the speakers, though it did just two weeks ago. Is there something that may have changed that I am missing here?

I'm at a loss here? Any other ideas?

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks again,
Denise

Hi Denise,
try checking in your Control Panel under Hardware and Sound for Manage Audio Devices. Look for Speakers, highlight them and click the configure tab. Failing that can you post the exact model of Ion speaker your using please. Also I assume this is the same socket you would use for a headset yes? Have you tried using a headset and if so does that work ok or no?

Back