Windows 8 Windows 8.1 tiles don't work...Third reinstall...

pi314

Hello Windows Forum,
Windows 8.1 has once again threw the same issue to me for a third time. Most App tiles apppear with an X in the bottom right and fail to launch. I Have tried every researched answer and after boot it's all over again.
Things I've tried:
Windows app diagnostic troubleshooter,
WSreset,
Powershell commands found via google(powershell -ExecutionPolicy Unrestricted Add-AppxPackage -DisableDevelopmentMode -Register $Env:SystemRoot\WinStore\AppxManifest.xml),
System restore,
sync apps via store,( again, after running fixes, it works until reboot, then nevermore)
replace backup registry to a time when it did work,
Reinstall from scratch( which seems to work for a little while)
sfc /scannow,
Dism(cleanup and restore)
sfc /scannow (again)
Chkdsk

all responding as fixed 'till boot.

What in gods name am i missing?

Thank you for your time.

Ps.. I tried with all in safemode & as Admin.

Computer Specs:
HP 110-014 desktop
CPU 1.48Ghz Dual
8 GB Ram
OEM 8.0 upgraded to 8.1 64bit
Screen resolution 1440x900

Pss..Coincidentals... System tray icons hiding,replacing them to visible tray works 'till reboot
Cyberfox won't take as default no matter what.
Both acting up at same time as app failures.

Last edited:
Hi,
you say this is the third re-install.

May I ask is Windows 8.1 fully updated?

Are your drivers recent versions?

Are you running any exotic third party applications?

Hello, Yes, a third re-install since June of 2013, same issue. Fully updated. I have checked the drivers and windows reports that i have the best ones already. I'm not sure about exotic applications, nothing running exotic in task manager or startup. Checked with Bitdefender and Malwarebytes, no issues.

Hmm so when do notice that they stop working? Is it not long after you've re-installed everything or is it sooner?

Try rebuilding the icon cache:
http://www.winability.com/how-to-erase-icon-thumbnail-cache-windows-8/

The other thing to try is to re-install once again and then slowly add things back until it becomes evident the tiles are not working. I wonder if Bitdefender has anything to do with it?

Hi Again Kemical, and thanks for your assistance.
I followed the links instructions and rebuilt the icon and thumbnail caches successfully.
However the problem persists. the app troubleshooter reports now that toast notifications have been disabled by Admin(me?).
Ran a registry fixit I found for this and tiles work although the x is still there on all metro tiles. Reboot and I am back to square one.
I wondered about the anti-virus, I used to use Avira in previous installs and same issue.
I agree a complete reinstall may be in order at this point, However I shall wait until Windows 10s Official RTM release as the (hopefully) ultimate solution.

Hey,
the only thing is though if you wait for windows 10 and it does something similar to the icons in the start menu we'll be back to square one.

Tell me do you run anything to change windows in any way like a desktop widget or some other such customisation?

I was thinking of what you mentioned about when they stopped working and investigated. I searched for any applications that
may have altered any services. I uninstalled a few suspect programs and went to services and found that AppXSVC and App Readyness were not running and started them. Went to Metro menu and the tiles were updating. Most of the X marks are gone now except two, Majhonng and Solitaire, which I never used anyway. So I am getting closer! Still no responses after boot though.
The suspect programs were Windows optimization programs(I know, I've been warned.) On the same note, My browser does not seem to exist to default programs until I run the app troubleshooter, then it does.(Cyberfox 64bit). Wonder if this is related to causing the issue?

On to something here.. When I boot fresh from restart, tiles not running app, But just by merely going to computer management, tiles work. I change nothing other than open computer management. Seems like my computer is playing hide and seek with me!

It sounds like your on the right track and i suspect your issues may even be caused by the Cyberfox browser your running. I've never ran it so can't say for sure but usually when something in windows like an icon or an app fails to work properly it's often down to something the user is either running or or has changed within the os.
The hard part is tracking down what exactly is causing the issue and it can be a case of going step by step with each program, removing it, seeing if anything has changed and so on.

Basically suspect anything which is third party particularly as you say optimisation apps, apps which changes how windows looks and so on.

Thanks for inspiring me to look further into this. It seems odd that just by opening computer management or disk management or event viewer, that tiles start working magically. I shall study event viewer for any clues. I do like Cyberfox 64bit, but i shall temporarily uninstall to see if this is the case. I will report back any findings. Thanks again.

SOLVED!
It appears that a file permission may have gotten changed. After studying event viewer error event ID 5951 led me to think my Program Files permissions may have been altered. I ran Windows Repair v 3.2.2 for 'repair file permissions' drive C:.
Not sure if this was only needed or a culmination of previous efforts. After boot all work well and back to normal.
Hope this thread may help someone experiencing similar issues. Thanks Kemical and windows forum.

Wow! Good Job! Much thanks for updating your thread too as this does help others as you say.. :)

Back