Windows 8 Windows 8.1 to 8.1 Pro upgrade question

brkkab

Excellent Member
I'm thinking of upgrading my laptop that came with Windows 8 x64 O.E.M. and has been upgraded to 8.1 x64 to 8.1 Pro x64 over the weekend.Can I do a clean install of 8.1 Pro with the product key that Microsoft give's me with the 8.1 Pro upgrade. I already have 8.1 Pro on a usb flash drive that I've used for clean installs on my desktop pc. Afterwards, I've alway's gotten the updates, including 8.1 Update afterwards. I'd love to be able to do the same on my laptop and start completely fresh, minus all the extra partitions Asus added. I know their supposed to be 3 partitions if you have a u.e.f.I., but my laptop has 2 more created by Asus. Those 2, I'll never use, as they're for Windows 8.

Knowing my luck, Microsoft probably did away with that hack in 8.1. Thanks for the link though. Maybe, I'll give it a try. I already know about using the geric key when you install 8.1 if you have a 8 key and then entering the 8 key, after the 8.1 install. Maybe, I'll try asking Maximum PC, if they know a way to do it.

**SOLVED***I decided I'm going to hold off on the Pro upgrade this month and put the money towards Carbonite on my desktop pc, again.

If I understand you correctly. ( You have Windows 8.1 installed?), and you want to upgrade to Windows 8.1 Pro?
All you need to do is go to the Control Panel - "Add Features to Windows 8.1" item. Just put in the Pro key which you apparently have,. After a very short check, the key will be confirmed and it will go ahead with adding the extra items. (Not many, in fact). You can check theis afterwards, if in doubt, by typing , in a run box, Winver. You should then see this.

upload_2014-8-1_10-39-11.png

Back