Windows 8 Windows 8.1 update 2 revised.

kemical

Windows Forum Admin
Staff member
Premium Supporter
Microsoft have announced that Windows 8.1 Update 2 will now be released as smaller updates:
"So despite rumors and speculation, we are not planning to deliver a Windows 8.1 “Update 2.”

The full blog is here:
In April, we released a bigger, more comprehensive package of improvements to Windows 8.1 called the Windows 8.1 Update. We did the same for Server too, with Windows Server 2012 R2 Update. As we said at the time, our goal is to continue to deliver improvements to Windows through regular updates in order to respond more quickly to customer and partner feedback. After all, we already have a regular monthly update process that includes security and non-security updates.

With the above in mind, rather than waiting for months and bundling together a bunch of improvements into a larger update as we did for the Windows 8.1 Update, customers can expect that we’ll use our already existing monthly update process to deliver more frequent improvements along with the security updates normally provided as part of “Update Tuesday.” So despite rumors and speculation, we are not planning to deliver a Windows 8.1 “Update 2.”

We’ll continue to use our normal channels such as Windows Update (WU), Microsoft Update (MU), and Windows Server Update Services (WSUS) to deliver updates to Windows. These updates will include security updates to help keep you protected, as well as non-security updates that can bring a range of improvements to your PC or tablet running Windows. Examples of some of these non-security updates are the Windows Store Refresh in May and the June update to OneDrive to improve your control of sync. Some of these improvements might be more visible or even new features, while others might be more “behind-the-scenes” that improve things like the performance and reliability of your device. With these monthly updates, we continue to refine and improve Windows 8.1 in a more nimble way, creating a richer experience for all Windows customers.

Following are some of the new features and improvements included in the August 12th Update Tuesday:

• Precision touchpad improvements – three new end-user settings have been added: Leave touch pad on when a mouse is connected; allow right-clicks on the touchpad; double-tap and drag.
  • Miracast Receive – exposes a set of Wi-Fi direct APIs for Independent Hardware Vendor (IHV) drivers or OEM drivers to develop Windows 32-bit applications that run on all supported x86-based or x64-based versions of Windows 8.1, enabling the computer as a Miracast receiver.
  • Minimizing login prompts for SharePoint Online – reduces the number of prompts with federated use in accessing SharePoint Online sites. If you select the “Keep me signed in” check box when you log on for the first time, you will not see prompts for successive access to that SharePoint Online site.
This update will be delivered automatically via WU and optional through WSUS. Enterprises can take the update anytime. Further details on the update will be included here on August 12th.

For current Windows 8.1 consumers who have elected automatic updates, the rollout will be gradual to ensure all customers receive the update in a timely manner. Those who wish to install the update ahead of automatic updates may do so beginning August 12th manually via Windows Update.

As you might expect, we’re taking the same approach to deliver improvements to Windows Server 2012 R2 as well – go here for additional information.

Ref:
http://blogs.windows.com/bloggingwi...s-for-windows-8-1-and-windows-server-2012-r2/

The titles for these update packs has been really ridiculous. Long term customers will just know these as service packs, from before they turned into just security roll-ups. Also, what is the significance of augmenting Windows 8 to call it Windows 8.1, and then release "Wnidows 8.1 Update" and "Windows 8.1 Update 2". Clearly these are marketing terms, but I have never seen them used anywhere in the "Microsoft ecosystem". I do not see any retail PC, for instance, that says "Windows 8.1" on it, and as we know, this is hardly a real version increment. They might as well just call it Windows 8 SP1. It is unfortunate things have gotten into marketing speak. Maybe they will start using letters again soon.

The titles for these update packs has been really ridiculous. Long term customers will just know these as service packs, from before they turned into just security roll-ups. Also, what is the significance of augmenting Windows 8 to call it Windows 8.1, and then release "Wnidows 8.1 Update" and "Windows 8.1 Update 2". Clearly these are marketing terms, but I have never seen them used anywhere in the "Microsoft ecosystem". I do not see any retail PC, for instance, that says "Windows 8.1" on it, and as we know, this is hardly a real version increment. They might as well just call it Windows 8 SP1. It is unfortunate things have gotten into marketing speak. Maybe they will start using letters again soon.
I think that maybe the reason we are seeing some odd terminology is down to the changing of the guard. Steve Balmer's tenure is over and much of his work or vision is being changed back to earlier ideas. Perhaps once this period is over things will settle down to the more usual naming regime we are accustomed to?

I don't use any new Windows until make sure least issues come from it, as i still use Win7 so far and didn't touch Win8.1 as a lot of issues i see there and as my Laptop is having a screen touch so whenever i see it become more stable. I will buy the Win8.1 updates as wish Microsoft apply CD with Win8 with all recent updates as just a way to save us money and peace of mind for keep updating whenever we get online when install the Win8.1 updated version. By the way , as i heard Win8.1 can be installed from flash memory and can even take all of the file system and make it work on any machine. I wonder as a virtual machine program is what can make any OS. Is it true or what?. What is the whole talking about a new OS from Microsoft as just saw on Facebook that they will release a new one and it has been like two years almost while they had the Win8.1. I hope they slow down as in the last few years they made two OS as Win7/Win8 after in no time and hope they try to make all of the drivers update easily and don't see an error of find no system update available from Microsoft. Sorry for writing much but as i am a person who take it slow and don't rush into using a new OS for knowing it have security gapes more then old OS and still odd to keep things stable most of the time when use a new OS like Win8.1.

Back