Windows 8 Windows 8.1 wont start.get pc repair with no solution.

kamuzu

Honorable Member
Hello.
Yesterday night when i came home from work, i turn on my laptop with windows 8.1 and its started loading "pc repair", after it finished i get a message saying it could not repair automaticly.
So i have tried advanced-restore point, it just failed.
Tried cmd- sfc /scannow, and i get a message saying windows is in another repair process and i need to reboot and try again.i rebooted and tried again. But it goes to repair pc again.
Trying refresh pc - getting insert media. no original media because i have purchased it online. So i used win 8 bootable thumb drive i made. But it didnt recognized it.
Have tried chkdsk. But i get a message drive locked.
So i have rebooted using a win 8 usb thumb drive i had
Have tried chckdsk / r /v /f / x on th windows drive(located it as f: this time)
No help there.
Tried safe mode menu, but after i choose safe mode it goes again to pc repair.
I didnt installed any new drivers and i have windows update settings to install updates manually.
I have two drives in my laptop(thinkpad w500).windows drive is ssd ocz vertex 2, and the second is regular hdd in a caddy instead optical drive.
*i have disabled all defragmenting and indexing on the ssd.

Is there a way recover my pc without refreshing and loosing the entire windows setup?
I have read somewhere that win 8.1 lost or removed pe environment. And this why it cant recover.
How do i get a recovery partition back?
Any suggestions?
:(

*Edit.
Tried hdd diagnostic in bios.and i get controller error 0000 read verification failed.

*Edit 2.
Looking at srttrail.txt log file, the last check says:
"Registry is corrupt"
And solution is system restore.
But it has error code: 0x1f.

*Edit 3
I created a recovery disc with another machine, no help there either.

I have connected the drive to another machine, and I have copied all the content from it, made error check on the drive, it came out without any problems.
It's fully accessible.

*edit 4
Tried doing reset your PC and I get the following: "unable to reset Your PC.a required drive partition is missing.

Thanks.

Last edited:
Hi

If it is saying that the recovery partition is missing then about the only thing I can think of it to download an ISO image and start from scratch

It seems like you have tried pretty much everything else.

To get an ISO image for Windows 8 or 8.1 there's a trick that I've seen explained on several websites.

Check out these pages...

http://news.softpedia.com/news/Download-Windows-8-1-ISOs-393112.shtml

http://howto.cnet.com/8301-11310_39...load-the-official-microsoft-windows-8.1-iso/#!

As long as you know what your Windows Registration Number is you should be able to do it.
The catch is that you will need a working Windows 8 computer to download it.

Be careful not to start overwriting the files on the computer you are downloading it on.

If you can do this I'd format the disk using the other computer and then do the install.

I don't have any other ideas, Microsoft not making ISO files available as they did for Windows 7 is kind of a pain.

I don't know what they expect people to do who can't get there computer to boot or run repair, especially since it asks for media that no one gets with their computer.

Fortunately my computer did come with a real Windows 8 disk, but laptops never seem to anymore.

Mike

Last edited:
Did you, by chance, delete the very small "reserve partition", at the start of the HD?

Did you, by chance, delete the very small "reserve partition", at the start of the HD?
No, i did not.
Hi

If it is saying that the recovery partition is missing then about the only thing I can think of it to download an ISO image and start from scratch

It seems like you have tried pretty much everything else.

To get an ISO image for Windows 8 or 8.1 there's a trick that I've seen explained on several websites.

Check out these pages...

http://news.softpedia.com/news/Download-Windows-8-1-ISOs-393112.shtml

http://howto.cnet.com/8301-11310_39...load-the-official-microsoft-windows-8.1-iso/#!

As long as you know what your Windows Registration Number is you should be able to do it.
The catch is that you will need a working Windows 8 computer to download it.

Be careful not to start overwriting the files on the computer you are downloading it on.

If you can do this I'd format the disk using the other computer and then do the install.

I don't have any other ideas, Microsoft not making ISO files available as the did for Windows 7 is kind of a pain.
I don't know what they expect people to do who can't get there computer to boot or run repair, especially since it asks for media that no one gets with their computer anymore.

Fortunately my computer did come with a real Windows 8 disk, but laptops never seem to anymore.

Mike
Thank you very much.i will try this tomorrow on my day off.i have another computer i could use for this.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk

Well.i downloaded the setup file.for windows 8 and 8.1.
And it does not recognize my serial for 8.1, only works on 8 setup.and its a legit serial.
Could it be that if i have purchased upgrade from windows 7 to 8? That mean i cannot download the 8.1 iso? Even though it was free update from 8 to 8.1?
Will I have to illegally download 8.1 ISO to repair my windows? That's absurd...

Last edited:
Hi again.

It looks like you will have to install Windows 8 and then upgrade to 8.1 through the Windows App Store.
That's the way they have it set up, so I guess that's the only option.

I was hoping that it would allow you to just install 8.1 using your Windows 8 serial number.
It would make sense since they are letting everyone with 8 upgrade for free, but when was Microsoft every logical?

I suppose it will only let you install 8.1 directly if you have a serial number from a Windows 8.1 purchased disk.

It seems like they always make everything as hard as possible.

Mike

I did find information on the Microsoft site that says that the Windows 8 serial number won't work with a Windows 8.1 ISO unless Windows 8 is already installed on your computer.

Check out this information about how to do a clean install of Windows 8.1 from Windows 8 and see if it is any help...

http://pcsupport.about.com/od/windows-8/ss/windows-8-clean-install-part-1.htm

Mike

Last edited:
Hi again.

It looks like you will have to install Windows 8 and then upgrade to 8.1 through the Windows App Store.
That's the way they have it set up, so I guess that's the only option.

I was hoping that it would allow you to just install 8.1 using your Windows 8 serial number.
It would make sense since they are letting everyone with 8 upgrade for free, but when was Microsoft every logical?

I suppose it will only let you install 8.1 directly if you have a serial number from a Windows 8.1 purchased disk.

It seems like they always make everything as hard as possible.

Mike

I did find a post on the Microsoft site that says that the Windows 8 serial number won't work with a Windows 8.1 ISO.

Check out this information about how to do a clean install of Windows 8.1 from Windows 8 and see if it is any help...

http://pcsupport.about.com/od/windows-8/ss/windows-8-clean-install-part-1.htm

Mike
I have discovered in another forum that there is a trick to download win8.1 using win 8 serial.
You have to download both tools(win8 and win 8.1), run win 8 tools, enter serial and when it start downloading you have to stop it, then run the win8.1 tool once, it will crash, then run it and it will start downloading 8.1 ISO.

That's great,

Give us a link to the post if you can, and I'll keep a record of the process for other people who run into this.
Let us know if it works.

Mike

http://www.eightforums.com/installation-setup/33164-how-download-windows-8-1-iso.html
I was able to download the 8.1 ISO so this method works, but I was unsuccessful resolving my problem to my satisfaction.

I decided to do a clean install of windows 8 and I won't upgrade to windows 8.1.
Since the upgrade it had several issues, with windows 8 never had a issue for long i had it. NOT even once.
I have an old system image I can restore from, didn't worked when I was on win8.1 saying it has a different architecture.
So after installing win 8 I will try recovering from that.less work configuring my system.

Thanks for the help.

Hi

I upgraded to Windows 8.1 and then used my Disk Image to go back to Windows 8 due to issues I had with sound.

I spent a whole day trying to get the sound to work normally and didn't have any luck.

Correctly functioning sound is very important to what I do, and I was right in the middle of a project so I couldn't hang in there hoping for a fix.

I will try again when they release Windows 8.2 but until then I'll stick with Windows 8.

When you get everything up and running I'd recommend making an image using Paragon Backup and Recovery or something like that, that will boot from a disk, and restore your image file from outside Windows even if your computer won't boot.

I've used Paragon (which is free) several times and it's always worked.
That's more than I can say for some backup software that I've paid for.

Mike

Last edited:
I, too got locked out already from my W8 computer. The issue with me was my loss of my Windows Account login data. I admit it. I misplaced and forgot my p/w. I could not resolve it using the restoration page which was available on line. After giving as much information as I could remember I was told that "your security is very important to us......blah blah, etc" and that the information provided me was insufficient. Nice! I found that I was now locked out of my own computer and I don't mean locked out of the cloud either. My computer, which is my personal property except for the OS, was reduced to the status of an expensive paperweight. Lucky for me I keep all my sensitive personal data on external HD's so they are not lost.

A computer shop wanted around $150 to restore my computer so instead I went to Fry Electronics and bought for $99 an OEM copy of Windows 8 and installed that. Now at least I have a means of fixing my computer if all else fails again. I also tattooed by p/w on my girl friend's forehead for handy reference. She has no idea!!!

I find it more than just mildly irritating that the only reason we have to pay so much attention to issues of "security" is because of the small percentage of the planetary population which thinks it's OK to steal from others. It is my fervent prayer that, if there is a God after all, that all of these low lifers will spend eternity doing Kim Jong Un's laundry.

I have to say that being in my middle seventies and trying to cope in a world where computing seems to change on a monthly basis would be quite impossible without a finely honed sense of humor (and lots of money). Some guys my age stay away from the latest technologies but I keep wondering what will happen next and stick around just in case it turns out to be interesting.

There.... I feel better now.

Hi

I'm glad to see that there is someone else in their mid 70s around here, I'm 75.
I try and keep up with things but it can be a pain sometimes.

Being a graphic designer I didn't have any choice but to become computer literate.
Now I'm a gamer too, which keep my updating my hardware on a regular basis.

My gaming buddy of many years, Paul, is 77, and we've played MMOs together since Ultima Online.
I think that was 1997.

Personally I have never used a password to get into Windows, I'm paranoid about getting locked out, (I'm also too lazy to type it in, I want to push the button and go get coffee) and I never use my Microsoft account either (big brother is watching) LOL.

For a cloud I use Dropbox which make the things that I want available, and nothing else.
If you have several computers of different types it's handy, anything you put in your Dropbox folder will be available on all you computers no matter what the OS.

I can access the Dropbox files (mostly videos) that are on my PC with our iPad, iPhone, our Laptop or anyone else's computer should I really want to.

Now I'm thinking about getting a new Kindle Fire HDX, and it will work with that too.

Anyway welcome to the forum.

Mike

Hi

I'm glad to see that there is someone else in their mid 70s around here, I'm 75.
I try and keep up with things but it can be a pain sometimes.

Being a graphic designer I didn't have any choice but to become computer literate.
Now I'm a gamer too, which keep my updating my hardware on a regular basis.

My gaming buddy of many years, Paul, is 77, and we've played MMOs together since Ultima Online.
I think that was 1997.

Personally I have never used a password to get into Windows, I'm paranoid about getting locked out, (I'm also too lazy to type it in, I want to push the button and go get coffee) and I never use my Microsoft account either (big brother is watching) LOL.

For a cloud I use Dropbox which make the things that I want available, and nothing else.
If you have several computers of different types it's handy, anything you put in your Dropbox folder will be available on all you computers no matter what the OS.

I can access the Dropbox files (mostly videos) that are on my PC with our iPad, iPhone, our Laptop or anyone else's computer should I really want to.

Now I'm thinking about getting a new Kindle Fire HDX, and it will work with that too.

Anyway welcome to the forum.

I'm a retired AT&T techie who likes games because they spark your imagination but even if they don't do that they can do much for a senior to maintain his or her hand/eye coordination. I used to laugh at old folks who said "use it or lose it". I don't anymore!

I use Windows only for frivolous things and even then I insist upon Firefox with NoScript (just say "no" to GoogleAnalytics and Facebook and Twitter hidden scripts). When I have real personal computing to do (banking and so on) I use Puppy Linux which loads into RAM. With no hard drive to be compromised it's a little safer than M$ I think and when you power down the entire OS plus is wiped... sensitive files are kept on an external HD which is formatted ext4.

Yeah I believe that clouds are things that you see when you look up not places you put family secrets.

I wonder if I'm the only guy around here who actually still enjoys 8 bit games?

It's nice to be in company with someone else who probably learned to drive in a '48 Chevy that was only five years old and who never saw a television until he was 11 years old, like me.

Kudos to you Mike.... Hang in there.

Jake

Hi Jake

I learned to drive in a Model A Ford, my first car!
But it was more then 5 years old when I did it. LOL

My first gaming machine was an Intelevision, then a Nintendo, and then a early PC.

Mike

Ah yes the model A. Tell me would it go faster than 35? Down hill doesn't count. I remember riding in the rumble seat of one that an uncle had in Connecticut. That was in the late thirties and the car was probably ten years old or so. My first car was a '40 Buick Special. It cost me $20 and would go 80mph. I'm sure you remember it was fashionable for kids to name their cars then. Like nose art on planes I think. My Buick had a straight eight engine that needed work so I named it "pieces of eight".

My first computer was a dinky little thing called a Sinclair that wasn't good for much besides learning to program but in '83 everyone was buying Commodore 64's so I got one for my kids and became addicted myself. It was aeons ahead of the IBM's of the day in many respects as I remember. Well except that there was no business software for it. I used Lotus 1,2,3 on an IBM at work. About that time I became proficient in Basic. And then Apples arrived on the scene.

Regards

Hi

I upgraded to Windows 8.1 and then used my Disk Image to go back to Windows 8 due to issues I had with sound.

I spent a whole day trying to get the sound to work normally and didn't have any luck.

Correctly functioning sound is very important to what I do, and I was right in the middle of a project so I couldn't hang in there hoping for a fix.

I will try again when they release Windows 8.2 but until then I'll stick with Windows 8.

When you get everything up and running I'd recommend making an image using Paragon Backup and Recovery or something like that, that will boot from a disk, and restore your image file from outside Windows even if your computer won't boot.

I've used Paragon (which is free) several times and it's always worked.
That's more than I can say for some backup software that I've paid for.

Mike
Hi have istalled paragon free.is there any way to make scheduled backup? I did see schedule d section, bit i don't know how to add there a task.there are only add script file option there.

Hi

I use Paragon only to make a System Image that I can use to get things up and running if all else fails.
I don't have it installed on my computer, I do the backups from the Bootable disk the same way I do a recovery.

About every 3 months I make a new backup and save it to my second hard drive in a different folder than the previous one.

Then I delete the old one, but I also always save the last one I have actually used and know that it works as a fall back point just in case.

I do back up all my important stuff, job files, music, my videos, etc. to external backup in a uncompressed state so everything is always there.

My Model A would actually go about 60 miles per hour, if there was a little incline.
It felt very fast, I actually got stopped by the police once but he only gave me a warning he seemed more amused than anything else.

It was also the car I took my driving test in, the car was already 24 years old at that time, the cop seems to think it was a hoot, and it did have a rumble seat.

I almost bought a Commodore 64 at the height of their popularity but when I went to the store they were sold out and somehow I never got around to it.

My first computer was a Tandy TRS 100 or something like that.
I ran Aldis (later Adobe) Pagemaker and Adobe Photoshop 2.5 and an early version of Illustrator on it, very slowly.
I remember that I would apply an effect to an image and then go have coffee.

Even though I am a graphic designer I never did the Apple thing and have always stuck with PCs, mostly because you couldn't get games for the Macs back then, and once I had software (the Adobe stuff was expensive even back then) I didn't want to have to repurchase all the stuff so I could switch.

For the last few computers I have had Falcon Northwest Talons.
My current one is an i7 3.6 Ghz with liquid cooling 32 Gigs of 1866 ram, and a nVidia 6800 video card.

I've been a game beta tester for a long time, the first one was Asheron's Call and I've done every major MMO since.
But I haven't had any luck getting into The Elder Scrolls Online and I've been trying for a year.
I really wanted to do that one, but they got 3 million applications to beta test it so my odd of getting a shot are small.

I'm currently playing The Secret World and Age of Conan, (both of which I beta tested) with my friend Paul who as I said is 77.
We can yak on Skype for hours while we play.

If I didn't have a computer I would be really bored especially in the winter, the snow is to deep here I can't even walk out in the yard, even our dogs are going stir crazy.

Here is a sample of one of the videos that I make...

Mike

Last edited:
Back