Windows 8 Windows 8 & 8.1 can be ....

brkkab

Excellent Member
Windows 8 & 8.1 can be clean installed from a flash drive without any other software being needed. You just let the download create the flash drive and that's it. That worked last week on my desktop pc with a uefi. For my notebook, which doesn't have a optical drive. I copied my Windows 8 dvd on my desktop pc to a flash drive. That method also worked on my notebook with a uefi. SecureBoot is working on both pc's. For the notebook, after I ran Windows Update, so 8.1 would show up in the store, 8.1 was then installed. No issue's what-so-ever with both method's on either pc.

Hey there, I just reported back to a thread I started in the Windows 8 Hardware forum and had to do a USB install due to no optical drives. I used a tool recommended there called rufus that was as PnP/1-2-3-easy as it gets to build the image to a flash drive which loaded without issue on my Dell Insipiron 910 Mini (Netbook). I also saw we live in the same area (city actually). Small world!

Thanks!

-sj/Craig

The only problem is they both say "windows 8" at the dual boot log in screen… you have to look at the drive (partition) number to tell them apart.

The only problem is they both say "windows 8" at the dual boot log in screen… you have to look at the drive (partition) number to tell them apart.
My dual boot setup on my laptop with windows 7 and 8 Pro upgraded to 8.1 Pro, at boot you says window 8.1....

My dual boot setup on my laptop with windows 7 and 8 Pro upgraded to 8.1 Pro, at boot you says window 8.1....

Hay bassfisher6522 that’s interesting… when you say that you upgraded to 8.1;

1. Did Microsoft ask you to purchase| input a new product key?

2. What was the boot order i.e. 8 first then the 7 dual and the 8.1 upgrade last or did you start with the upgrade and then add the 7?

In my case the laptop came with 8 and I upgraded | purchased 8.1 early to get hyper-v functionality for my work and home server... since I now own two licences it made sense to go ahead and install 8 as a dual which by the way has Vm-workstation* installed.

I'm curious as to weaver installing 8 last (in my case) has perhaps used an out-dated version of the installer or is it just a glitch when the builds are so similar i.e. It seems that two eights make a wrong.

* Hyper-v and Vm-workstation don't play nice together so a dual boot is normally the best solution because that allows me to have my cake and eat it.

1. I purchased a retail windows 8 pro disc and used the key given with the purchase.

2. since windows 7 was the original OS (OEM) and then installed 8, windows 8 boot order screen pops up and I select which OS I want to use from it. The windows 7 boot order screen is completely different then the 8 boot order screen; it's black and cmd panel like...black w/white text.

3. With windows 8 owners, MS gave us the free upgrade from the MS store, which is how I upgraded 8 Pro to 8.1 Pro. I think it was a limited time deal to upgrade to 8.1...don't hold me to that.

So I got this right, your running 2 copies of windows 8.1. One standard/physical C drive and the other in a VM.

At the moment my laptop has Windows 8.1 with Hyper-V installed on it and Windows 8 (with Vmworkstation installed) on a dual boot.

The 8 also has Windows 7 and Ubuntu installed as virtual systems managed through vm-workstation because that way they get to use my g-card and sound from the host... mostly for playing my older games that don't like 8.

To be clear the 8 and 8.1 are physical but the 7 and ubuntu are virtual.

p.s. It was sure nice of Microsoft to offer free upgrades but I had already payed for mine by that time.

At the moment my laptop has Windows 8.1 with Hyper-V installed on it and Windows 8 (with Vmworkstation installed) on a dual boot.

The 8 also has Windows 7 and Ubuntu installed as virtual systems managed through vm-workstation because that way they get to use my g-card and sound from the host... mostly for playing my older games that don't like 8.

To be clear the 8 and 8.1 are physical but the 7 and ubuntu are virtual.

p.s. It was sure nice of Microsoft to offer free upgrades but I had already payed for mine by that time.

I see...thanks for the clarification.

. I think it was a limited time deal to upgrade to 8.1...don't hold me to that.
They are still offering the upgrade free and will until the next major release which they plan to charge a reasonable price for, which will become the new method of updating, replacing major releases of Windows every few years. Much similar to OSX.

Sent from my iPad using WindowsForum

Back
Top Bottom