Windows 8 Windows 8 Partitioning Question

When I go to Control Panel>Administrative Tools> Computer Management>Storage then Disk Management I see this:

Disk Management.png
So my question is there a way to combine the volume that says "Healthy (System, Active, Primary Partition)" and "(C:) Healthy (Boot, Page File, Crash Dumps, Primary Partition)," so that it doesn't cause my computer not to be bootable or mess up Windows 8? What I mean is to combine then as one, so that instead on in Computer Management it shows then a one partion instead of two like it is now, because I want to create a recovery partition on my hard drive.

Do not mess with the 100 mb partition, that's your boot order (MBR). Leave that alone. You can still partition your C drive, but I would advise against it as it only has 49 gigs left of free space. Install a larger drive if this is a laptop or if this laptop has space for a 2nd hard drive, I'd do that. If a desktop just add a 2nd hard drive, then partition to your liking.

Okay I merged the two back when I had Windows 7 with no problems, but since you helped me before with success I'll take your advice and leave it alone. Theoretically what would happen if I messed with the 100MB partition? My computer wouldn't boot at all? I'm not sure if my laptop has space for another hard drive, but it does have expansion ports.

Yes...with out the boot order you wouldn't be able to get back into your OS and a reinstall would be in order.

Bassfishers advice is wise, if you are not familiar with the method, but I have done it several times with Eusus. I believe there are other third party programs around which will also complete the operation.
For normal desktop operations, 75gbs is rather lean by todays standards, but that depends on your usage. If you intend to play modern games, you will quickly be out of space.
But, I assume, if you are going to buy another HD, you have the Windows installation Media? Perhaps you could back up your private data to a DVD, and, during the beginning of the install, accept the options to delete the smaller partition(s)

Yes it is and so it he! Can you give me the link to Eusus? I have done it before with Windows 7, but I want to be sure I can do the same thing in 8. I do the normal stuff like surf the web, e-mail stuff like that, but no gaming. I thinking of buying another HD, but I really don;t have to money too right now. Yes I have the Windows Installer Media and what do you mean by during the beginning of the install, accept the options to delete the smaller partition(s)? So I should do a fresh install of Windows to do what I want to do? How do I select the option to delete the smaller partition?

Edit 12:54am on 4/13/2013:
I found the link to Eusus and I downloaded it, but when I run it and try to merge the two partitions together I get this:
System partition or boot partition only can be set as the destination

Last edited by a moderator:
That would be correct in your circumstances. You need to merge the unmarked partition into the boot partition. But please. back up anything you want to save first. If you are all at unhappy with the task, don't try it!

Main problem with those 100mb partitions (which are there to enable booting from the recovery partition) is not so much the space that it occupies but on a traditional MBR based disk it occupies one of the maximum four primary partitions allowed. Given that the recovery partition itself occupies another that means that two of the four allowed are taken up by provision for booting directly from the hard drive into recovery. I always burn a set of recovery dvd's, making a second set just to play safe then remove both 100mb partition and the recovery partition. The 100mb partition is automatically created by the Windows install process if the install is allowed to make its own partitions on a clean drive. If however, the drive is partitioned prior to installation the 100mb partition does not get created.

Another option is to use the bcdboot utility to copy the boot files from the 100mb partition to the Windows drive then remove the 100mb partition. (which is what would happen if the drive is manually pre-partitioned or if the four primariry partitions are already assigned).

Last edited by a moderator:
I do have a recovery disk burned, but I prefer to also have a recovery partition on the hard drive as well which I don't have right now. Like was said before removing the 100mb partition would make my computer where it wouldn't boot. Can you enpl ain how to use the bcdboot utility to copy the boot files from the 100mb partition to the Windows drive?

Just curious as to why you are so intent on recovering a small amount of disk space (100MBs)? Also, that partition in question looks like it was created during a Windows 7 installation (and maintained throughout the Win 8 installation) because a legacy "clean install" Windows 8 installation creates a 350MB sytem partition:

win8partition.jpg

Also note that 243MBs of my 350MB system partition has been populated with information.

@ I'm not anymore and the reason I wanted to is so I could create a recovery drive and have plenty of main hard drive space. Yes I did a clean install becuase I was having issues with my computer and I do not have a 350MB system partition

@ I'm not anymore and the reason I wanted to is so I could create a recovery drive and have plenty of main hard drive space. Yes I did a clean install becuase I was having issues with my computer and I do not have a 350MB system partition

Well, you just taught me that a clean install of Windows 8 (legacy) reacts differently; in that, it can create either a 100MB or 350MB system partition based on unknown circumstances. So, before I go off and try to thoroughly investigate why this variance might happen, please confirm that you deleted all existing partitons and allowed the Win 8 installation process to automatically select the partition configuration for you (as shown below):

win8install.jpg

Hell you guys got me curious now....waiting to see how this develops and plays out.

Back