Windows 8 Windows 8 upgrade - prior OS on dual Boot (2 licenses)

Saltgrass

Excellent Member
Microsoft Community Contributor
Suppose you have a computer that is dual booting Windows 7 and Vista.

This system has 2 "Base Licenses" that could be used for the Windows 8 upgrade requirement.

Since the Upgrade checks Microsoft's data base for that computer ID to determine if a base license is shown, will there be an option to pick whether to replace either the Windows 7 or Vista License? I am still assuming a prior License will be deactivated after the upgrade...

Good question Clark.
I would assume that since you typically, when upgrading an OS, run the upgrade from within the OS you are upgrading from then the results would be focused on that OS but considering the dual boot issues I can't be sure.
With respect to the concept of a previous version checker, there doesn't seem to actually be one, since I have done two clean custom installs (from upgrade ISOs) on two new (unallocated) hard drives without any previous version present on the computer. The only thing that I would assume keeps things legitimate and legal is that you must own a copy of and a product key for a qualifying (older) Windows OS but even then with the Release Preview seemingly qualifying, I'm not sure how that is actually handled from a legal standpoint.
Regards
Randy

Last edited by a moderator:
I was going to install on a clean drive, without either OS actually present.

Do you believe Microsoft is not deactivating the prior license with the Upgrade Install?

The reason I think the Upgrade goes to the database to check for a previous license is because you have been able to install to a clean drive. If they can tell if you move a license to another system, you know they have that data. Your system had been licensed to another OS prior, and not just the Preview?

But I don't want my Windows 7 license revoked, so I am still having concerns with this upgrade.

I am thinking about using a non-licensed motherboard to test if the Upgrade will install...just a little expensive to get some needed parts...

If you continue to run the prior OS, which may even be allowed for all I know, I would think it would start to show a "Not Genuine" message after some period of time, if the prior license had been revoked. Maybe I need to spend some time going over the upgrade requirements. Perhaps it even mentions what happens to the prior license in the EULA for the Windows 8 upgrade.

OK.... all valid and good points.... BUT...
Let's take for example, a laptop, that came from say Dell. The install of say Windows 7 that is present on that machine is a product of a factory install and does not have in its' registry the actual C.O.A key that is present on the bottom of that laptop. So how exactly would Microsoft deactivate that particular C.O.A. when it has not even been associated with an actual install?

EDIT: Or if strictly speaking talking Retail to Retail leaving OEM type stuff out of the equation, I guess you may be correct.

Randy, I am trying to decide if I am misinterpreting your comments about installing on a clean drive. I found the following comment on a Microsoft site. Did you install the Windows 8 upgrade in such a way the should have caused such an error? Was the hard drive clean before you started the install?

Sorry about the questions, I just would like to make sure my Windows 7 License is not in jeopardy....

You upgraded to Windows 8, but didn't have a previous version of Windows installed (error 0xC004F061)

If you see error 0xC004F061 when you try to activate Windows 8, it means that you're using a product key for an upgrade version of Windows 8 and a previous version of Windows wasn't on your PC when Windows 8 was installed. To install an upgrade version of Windows 8, you must already have Windows 7, Windows Vista, or Windows XP installed on your PC.

If you formatted the drive before the upgrade version of Windows 8 was installed, you won't be able to use your upgrade product key to activate Windows 8. To activate Windows 8, you'll need to install your previous version of Windows, and then reinstall Windows 8. For help with the activation process, contact support.

Why can't I activate Windows? - Microsoft Windows Help

Randy, I am trying to decide if I am misinterpreting your comments about installing on a clean drive. I found the following comment on a Microsoft site. Did you install the Windows 8 upgrade in such a way the should have caused such an error? Was the hard drive clean before you started the install?

Sorry about the questions, I just would like to make sure my Windows 7 License is not in jeopardy....

Why can't I activate Windows? - Microsoft Windows Help

I've clean installed after formatting my hdd with gparted and had no activation issues at all. Not sure what Microsoft are going on about.

Sorry Clark, I can not speculate regarding your "Windows 7 License" being in jeopardy.
My experience is the same as Rich's (nmsuk).... BUT
whether or not Microsoft has some method inplace to determine the hex value in the registry of your product key on the machine that you used to obtain the digital download of Windows 8 (upgrade version) and by some means associate that with the ISO and it's respective product key and then after the upgrade is finished (clean install or otherwise) enter that supporting Windows 7 product key into a database somewhere, showing it as having been used to support an upgrade and rendering it unusable for a future install... I can not even guess.

They could and I'm presuming use the hardware hash to identify the old win 7 key. Does seem a little OTT though.

Well, I chickened out. Rather than risk my Windows 7 install, I put a hard drive with a Vista install, not activated, on another computer without a prior license. I then used the MBR Vista install to allow an activation of a Windows 8 UEFI install to a separate hard drive. (The Vista License had been activated on another system, just not on this install)

Luckily, I had my OSes on separate hard drives. I suppose someone with a dual boot on the same drive, still needs an answer, if anyone actually tries it...

This may be a little confusing, but I was wondering how the Windows 8 install would handle going from a MBR configured prior OS to a UEFI configured install of 8.

Simple resolution is do the download from either OS, Choose to put the ISO file on removable media, Burn it to DVD, boot to DVD, highlight the Vista partition (Drive) choose Advanced Disk Options, choose Format, then install to that newly formatted partition. Works like a charm. When you boot to the DVD, you point to which partition or drive you wish to install Win 8 to.

Medicated60, your process would seem to work as advertised, if installing over another OS.

But what if you want to install on a new drive? I did not see a place to select which OS to use as prior or any place to enter a prior License Key. Maybe it would use the one you downloaded the upgrade with? Of course, if you were doing this on a different computer, that would not even work. I suppose I would have felt better if there was a way to verify which prior OS License was being sacrificed.

I may have missed the notification, but was there any place in the Downloading process that stated a requirement to use the OS you were replacing for the download?

With the Upgrade media you cannot install on a new drive. You must be replacing an existing qualifying OS. To install to a new HD you will have to use the Full Install, OEM edition the so called builder's edition.

The Upgrade media will not install on a formatted drive. You would have to format during the installation so the the installation sees the qualifying OS ahead of time.

No, you can use any OS you have for the download if you choose to burn to DVD. It's just during the installation from DVD (Custom Install) that you will be given the choice of where to install the OS. If however you choose any other method but the Burn to removable media, the Win 8 Pro installation will commence on the OS you downloaded it from.

With the Upgrade media you cannot install on a new drive. You must be replacing an existing qualifying OS. To install to a new HD you will have to use the Full Install, OEM edition the so called builder's edition.
I guess you did not followed how I my install was done. It appears you only need the other OS to be present and readable...you do not have to overwrite it.

I will need to alter my previous comments when related to UEFI. The Install discussed was an MBR install to a UEFI install. Since the new install could not use the MBR configured drive, it simply moved everything to the GPT configured drive.

When installing UEFI to UEFI, you will need to delete the EFI partition on the previous install. If you do not, it will reuse that partition for the new install which would require the old drive to stay in place. But having the sacrificial OS present after you select "Install" is still the case. I deleted the EFI partition in the Partitions page during the install and the Windows 8 install went fine on my new SSD.

What Ted has said was done recently w/ a client of mine in Edmonton. The Win8 Upgrade burnt to DVD was used on a 64-bit machine. The machine HAD a 32-bit Vista on it. The drive holding Vista was deleted & formatted. Win8 was then installed to the (same) drive w/ no installation or activation issues what so ever. Nor any since the install.

Still, one sure way not to have any such concerns would be to use Win8 non-Upgrade versions (discs). System Builder versions could, also, be used but, those get no support from Microsoft. They use PPU Licenses and being the equivalent of OEMs don't get MS support... only support comes from the installer... a System Builder or manufacturer.

I am a certified MS Licensing Expert and even I can't explain or understand why clean installs from Upgrade media seem to be successfully doable. And that's even w/out cheating w/ the old 'double pass' trick, like people used w/ 7. I did not expect it would work because you couldn't (anymore) delay activation or delay entering a Key. Plus, I beta tested Vista and 7 for MS. We were very clearly & emphatically told not to go from a beta of either to RTM or GA. Yet, w/ 8, I have had MS people say could (now) go from RP to RTM or GA. You can see why I'm at a bit of a loss to know what to say regarding all these questions & concerns. Hell, even, using the Win8 Upgrade to an existing OS, when you tell it to delete, format & "Keep nothing", how is that not amount to a clean install. No kidding it's confusing.

At the end of the day I'm not even going to have any 1st hand experience w/ these scenarios. I'm going to be dropping my RP & using a Full Version Windows 8 Pro. Plus I'm overhauling my tower. 8 will be going on a SSD, there will be no more dual-boot to 7... I will be creating VMs for XP, Vista & Windows 7 on the Windows 8 host machine using Hyper-V. One bonus to this... no worry about 8 killing my Windows 7 license.

I need to have the legacy OSs on tap for client support but, no further need for a physical Win7 machine. I haven't even used 7 since 29/2/12, except to go keep it clean & updated periodically.

Cheers,
Drew
new_windows_logo1.jpg

Back