Windows 7 Windows Activation Question

badrobot

Quick question:

Is there a limit on how many times you can use an OEM product key to activate a clean installed windows OS on the same machine it was originally pre-installed on?

Thanks!

Last edited:
None that I'm aware of and I've not seen any from MS about it. I've heard stories of just after 3 and 5 attempts a call to MS was required for reactivation because of that issue.

This may help....http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/...activate/b40b9cb4-8f07-47de-ad3e-940b8a0cda5d

Thanks Bass. I think the time interval thing makes sense rather than the number of times you do it. Just having an issue right now with my windows 7 installation and I had to do it twice and activate it twice within 24hrs as the first installation was very unstable and I don't know why. But both got activated successfully. I am getting a lot of program stoppage notifications. Could be the chipset driver. Not sure.

Is your BIOS updated and the latest chipset driver installed?

Microsoft licenses are, to say the least, somewhat dubious. I would imagine OEM are timeless, limited only by the lifespan of the OS. The thing is, if you install Windows on a "new computer", which practically means a new mobo - new memories are of no concern, neither a new CPU or GPU, or these combined.

In full versions, like I have 7 Pro, they give 20 downloads. Then again, having stopped the sell of Win 7, what does it mean?

All definite seems to be so very relative?

Back
Top Bottom