Windows 7 Windows Activation Question

badrobot

Quick question:

Is there a limit on how many times you can use an OEM product key to activate a clean installed windows OS on the same machine it was originally pre-installed on?

Thanks!

Last edited:
None that I'm aware of and I've not seen any from MS about it. I've heard stories of just after 3 and 5 attempts a call to MS was required for reactivation because of that issue.

This may help....http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/...activate/b40b9cb4-8f07-47de-ad3e-940b8a0cda5d

Thanks Bass. I think the time interval thing makes sense rather than the number of times you do it. Just having an issue right now with my windows 7 installation and I had to do it twice and activate it twice within 24hrs as the first installation was very unstable and I don't know why. But both got activated successfully. I am getting a lot of program stoppage notifications. Could be the chipset driver. Not sure.

Microsoft licenses are, to say the least, somewhat dubious. I would imagine OEM are timeless, limited only by the lifespan of the OS. The thing is, if you install Windows on a "new computer", which practically means a new mobo - new memories are of no concern, neither a new CPU or GPU, or these combined.

In full versions, like I have 7 Pro, they give 20 downloads. Then again, having stopped the sell of Win 7, what does it mean?

All definite seems to be so very relative?

Back