Windows 7 Windows Backup Error (0x8078002a)

mattbwt

Hello,

Im currently running a Dell XPS, using windows 7 64 bit. I just bought a new external hard drive, the Iomega Ego Portable Hard Drive. Im trying to backup my pc to this drive.

Whenever I backup, I get the error 0x8078002a

I've searched the forums using the code but not found anything. I have done what the solution stated on Error message when you try to perform a full backup on a Windows Vista-based computer: "The request could not be performed because of an I/O device error"; the Chkdsk took about 3 hours.

I then tried again, but the same error occurred!

My laptop is only ~2 months old, and my external hard drive was bought today so unsure of what I can do.

Thanks,
Matt

Last edited:
I suppose some questions might be in order. What type of backup are you doing, a file backup or an image backup?

How big is the drive?

Can you access the drive otherwise and copy files to it?

Are you using the USB 3 or USB 2 connection?

Does the drive have any software installed that might run when you plug it in?

Hello,

Im currently running a Dell XPS, using windows 7 64 bit. I just bought a new external hard drive, the Iomega Ego Portable Hard Drive. Im trying to backup my pc to this drive.

Whenever I backup, I get the error 0x8078002a

I've searched the forums using the code but not found anything. I have done what the solution stated on Error message when you try to perform a full backup on a Windows Vista-based computer: "The request could not be performed because of an I/O device error"; the Chkdsk took about 3 hours.

I then tried again, but the same error occurred!

My laptop is only ~2 months old, and my external hard drive was bought today so unsure of what I can do.

Thanks,
Matt

Hi Matt and welcome

It is an I/O error. Did you install the driver that came with the drive? Is it an external USB drive? If so please read here about general USB driver issues. USB Driver - General Fix for Problems - Windows 7 Forums

Thank you for the replies.

I suppose some questions might be in order. What type of backup are you doing, a file backup or an image backup?

Both, I think!

How big is the drive?

External is 750 and im backing up a 500gb drive (about 100gb on there)

Can you access the drive otherwise and copy files to it?

Yeap, works fine. Got 50GB in there from the current backup windows attempted.

Are you using the USB 3 or USB 2 connection?

Well, I've tried both. Both give the same error.

Does the drive have any software installed that might run when you plug it in?

The external drive is labelled under 'F' in my computer. Also, when plugged in, the "CD Drive (E) Virtual CD" pops up and has a file named Igomega Encryption Utility. (81.5MB)

Hi Matt and welcome

Thanks!

It is an I/O error. Did you install the driver that came with the drive? Is it an external USB drive? If so please read here about general USB driver issues. USB Driver - General Fix for Problems - Windows 7 Forums

No driver came with it. Its an external hard drive, Link Removed - Invalid URL. I just plugged it in and started using it.

Thanks!

In some of the net hits, the error seems to refer to inacessable drive. Perhaps the Encryption Utility you refer to is involved.

But could you go through your steps for just making a backup image to the drive and what you are seeing as far as drives available for storing the backup?

All Programs-Maintenance-Backup and restore--
Here you should see the drive if it is available.

Create System image
This is where it looks for a backup device and asks if you want to use one. Make sure you are looking at the correct drive and not trying to backup to something else. Backup and Restore may try to use a DVD drive for the backup.

You then pick a drive and select next where you are offered what to back up. Are you selecting just your system drive?

Where do you have problems in the sequence?

Please find the image attached of the timeline when I try to run the backup.

It got to around 60% then just gave me the error.

Thanks again!

Attachments

• timeline.gif
    timeline.gif
    797.7 KB · Views: 907
Last edited:
I have seen situations where some file or folder could not be backed up because of corruption or perhaps it was a link to something else that may not have been accessible to the backup utility.

You might also note, I have seen whatever was already on the external drive being included in the backup, which is why you need to make sure what is being backed up and confirm the external drive is not included.

Perhaps the next step would be to simplify your backup attempt to narrow down where the problem might be occurring. Start with the image backup alone the way I described to see if it finishes then do a files backup and only backup specific folders to see if you can isolate the problem, or the reverse if you desire.

Checking for the error, which seems to be about the same as the first one, are such things as a FAT partition on a Dell system keeping the backup from working. I don't know why Dell would set something up this way, so I don't put much into this idea, but who knows.

Another poster stated stopping part of some program, like an SQL server, allowed the backup to go forward.

For now, I will suggest you Turn Off scheduled backups (upper left of dialog box) and try to backup an image again, if you did not do that before.

Have you tried a backup without creating an image, and limit the backup to specific folders to keep test to a minimum?

Edit: I also saw one thread where it was suggested to delete any previous restore points/shadow copies prior to trying a backup. Looks like you can do that in the System Properties - System Protection - Configure button - Delete button.

Last edited:
I also having a Dell XPS desktop (730HC) running W7 x64, have an Iomega USB 3.0 PCI card installed and get the same error when I try to do a file/folder backup with Windows 7 to a 1TB Iomega USB 3.0 eGo portable drive. When I try to do an image backup, I get an i/o error 0x8078002A.

This happens when I connect the eGo to the USB 3.0 card or the Dell's own USB 2.0. The eGo arrives formatted by Iomega as NTSF. Some googling suggests that others are having this problem with the eGo. (I can do a Windows backup to an HP external USB 3.0 drive with no problem.)

Can you get a picture using the snipping tool of the backup where it asks what drive you want to back up to? Also any other pertinate pictures and attach using the paperclip.

Have you loaded a driver for the USB 3.0 card? I run a USB 3.0 external drive and have no problems, so perhaps it is related to the eGO. Is that drive basically an empty drive, or does it have some type of software that runs when you plug it in?

I got an HP external USB 3.0 drive and was able to do a Windows backup to it without any trouble, so the USB 3.0 card is obviously OK and, since the Windows backup also fails when the eGo is attached to the Dell's USB 2.0 ports, I suspect that the eGo is the problem.

It did arrive with a virtual CD and encryption software, but the Iomega encryption sw wouldn't run under W7 x64, so I got rid of it. So the eGo I'm using is basically just a USB 3.0 flash drive. I can copy files to it without any problem and can use GoodSync to sync between the desktop and the eGo - whether attached to the USB 2.0 or 3.0 ports - but I can't do either a folder/file backup or an image backup with W7 x64 to the eGo.

Something else I seem to remember is if you let Windows decide what needs to be backed up, it will back up whatever is on the backup drive and add it to the total. If there is a space problem, you might want to select the items backed up yourself so as to keep redundant data from being created.

Back
Top Bottom