Windows 7 Windows Backup & Restore Questions

doni49

1) I just ran BU and created a system image. I told it to put the image on "one or more DVDs". It prompted me to insert a DVD--I did so. It ran for about 30 min. Then it prompted me for another DVD. I put another blank one in and it asked me if I wanted to format the disk. I told it to do so. It ran some more and eventually asked for another disk. I canceled the BU because I didn't understand what was going on. When I put the first one back in, I was asked what I wanted to do with the BLANK DVD. So why are the DVDs blank?

2) I'd like to create a system image that DOES NOT include my personal data. If something should happen and I need to rebuild my system, I don't want to restore my personal data from NOW. I want to be able to restore my PROGRAMS and SETTINGS as they are now but restore data from a backup that will be run more frequently (I have my data automatically backed up to a NAS drive weekly).

TIA!

A technique that has worked for me is to partition my drive into two partitions, a “C” drive ONLY for system items, and the remainder of the disk as a “D” drive for all personal data. I normally allow around 50 gig for the system partition.

This way, I can do a system image and I am ONLY imaging my system data. Now, 50 gig is STILL over 10 DVD disks. This is NOT a good way to back up. I'd recommend getting an external USB drive to image to. I've done this for years, and with the win 7 ability to create a boot restore CD, recovery is so simple.

I do love this feature of win 7.

Easeus Partition Master is an excellent free tool you can use to do this.

A technique that has worked for me is to partition my drive into two partitions, a “C” drive ONLY for system items, and the remainder of the disk as a “D” drive for all personal data. I normally allow around 50 gig for the system partition.

This way, I can do a system image and I am ONLY imaging my system data. Now, 50 gig is STILL over 10 DVD disks. This is NOT a good way to back up. I'd recommend getting an external USB drive to image to. I've done this for years, and with the win 7 ability to create a boot restore CD, recovery is so simple.

I do love this feature of win 7.

Easeus Partition Master is an excellent free tool you can use to do this.

Thanks. Don't know why I didn't just do that in the first place--that's exactly what I did on my previous PC.

But I'm still curious why it was asking for disks and then not writing to them.

Oh well.

Back