Windows 7 Windows boots only in Safe Mode, normal mode and Ubuntu get stuck

tiethilo

For no apparent reason Windows started to get stuck during boot-up and at slightly different points it seems. Sometimes i get the boot animation, sometimes not. Safe mode works though, chkdsk finds no disk errors. Windows' start up repair gets stuck as well.
I have a dual boot with Ubuntu and incredibly enough Ubuntu also gets stuck during booting starting at the same moment. Even booting Ubuntu from a stick gets stuck without error msg.
How do i pinpoint the problem?

Many thx to you all!

First thing I would do would be to remove Ubuntu and the dual boot setup. Then you probably have to repair the MBR. Then check for any missing/corrupt system files using MS system file checker (sfc /scannow) in cmd prompt. Once done and all is well, then check system for virus's and malware/spyware, defrag HDD and reboot system. Then run system like that for 3-5 days and see what happens.

I have been trying to find some common thread in your different boot conditions. But some seem to contradict others.

For instance, video might be involved, but not booting into the Repair environment, seems to indicate otherwise. You could check that, of course, by using msconfig.exe in safe mode and set it to boot into the basic video and try booting into normal Windows.

But if I have to flip a coin, I will have to go with possible problems with memory.

If you think it is the hard drive, you could boot to a Ubuntu DVD and use the Try instead of Install method to test your system.

Back