Windows 7 Windows cannot communicate with the device or resource (primary DNS server)

alliana07

My internet was fine when I went to sleep last night but when I got up today it was giving me the yellow exclamation error. According to my internet provider, Comcast, they can ping the modem and everything, it just won't connect to the internet. The diagnostic is telling me " Windows cannot communicate with the device or resource (primary DNS server)". We've tried restarting the modem, the computer, etc. She had me go in and look at my network settings and they're fine. She even deactivated the modem on the phone and nothing.

I have a desktop with windows 7. I do NOT have a router. The internet goes from the wall, to the modem, to my computer. I can try to give any other info you might need.

So, where is the red X on the Network and Sharing center? Have you tried clicking it and select troubleshoot?

Do you have digital phone on that system? If so, try unplugging it for a while.

Does your modem have a battery backup? If so, you might try removing the battery and reset the modem.

If you open a command prompt window, can you ping your own computer?

ping 127.0.0.1

Can you ping Google

ping google.com

Have you tried turning off anti-virus or firewall applications?

There seems to be quite a few folks having connectivity problems in the last couple of days. I don't know if they have something in common, but perhaps some update a some type of software is responsible.

There seems to be quite a few folks having connectivity problems in the last couple of days. I don't know if they have something in common, but perhaps some update a some type of software is responsible.
I've noticed the same thing and it seems most of them seem to be DNS related. I'm wondering if a new version or update of iTunes has activated mDNSresponder.exe (Bonjour) again?
Just a thought.

Similar problem here with the direct connect -- all my wireless connections work fine, however, the PC directly connected to the modem/router will not access the Internet since the Security updates from last week. If I system restore to July -- all is fine across the board. So I'm guessing one of the patches either made the router obsolete from a LAN perspective or it's a separate McAfee issue (since this is the only PC with McAfee as well).

Anyone else seeing this?

Any guidance would be appreciated. I just hooked back up my vonage telephone via my pc... internet (not wireless) and vonage is working fine, however not that it is related... I now cannot connect through the internet on my laptop via my wireless router. I cannot even access the router via the typical 192.168.1.1 as usually can to check router settings on the pc where internet works fine. I also tried connecting via a cable to the router from the laptop, and I don't get any access to the internet or the router that way either. I am starting to wonder if my wireless router is toast, but then my wireless printer & dvd player for Netflix gets a connection to it just fine. By the way on the laptop when I try to access a webpage I get this message - Server at msn.com cannot be found because the dns lookup failed... and when doing a trouble shoot on the laptop I get the following - windows cannot commutate with device or resource (primary dns server) Scratching my head... any one have any idea's?

I need some help here, I have just formatted and did a fresh install of Windows 7 Professional x64 and I get "windows can't communicate with the device or resource (primary dns server)". Any help would be great.

What are the results that you are getting when you open a command prompt and type
ipconfig /all
copy and paste them into your next post.
Is the DNS server address noted, your actual router address?
Have you tried assigning static values manually to your NIC?
You can attempt to use
and
Google public DNS servers
Depending on your geographical location there may be some better choices. (Like you own ISP's DNS servers)
Have you installed any third party security suite since doing the Clean Install?
I would recommend sticking with MSE and the native Windows Firewall until your problem is sorted.

What are the results that you are getting when you open a command prompt and type
ipconfig /all
copy and paste them into your next post.
Is the DNS server address noted, your actual router address?
Have you tried assigning static values manually to your NIC?
You can attempt to use
and
Google public DNS servers
Depending on your geographical location there may be some better choices. (Like you own ISP's DNS servers)
Have you installed any third party security suite since doing the Clean Install?
I would recommend sticking with MSE and the native Windows Firewall until your problem is sorted.

This is a fresh install, I havent installed anything other than windows. I have tried everything I have found to try and fix the problem but nothing is working

Then please do an ipconfig /all and show us the results so we might better assess what you may or may not be getting from whatever is serving up DHCP on you network to your wireless device.

Microsoft Windows [Version 6.1.7601]
Copyright (c) 2009 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

C:\Windows\system32>ipconfig /all

Windows IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : Honey-PC
Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . :
Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Hybrid
IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Intel(R) PRO/100 VE Network Connection
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-1D-60-93-80-8E
DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes
Link-local IPv6 Address . . . . . : fe80::690e:aa35:932e:d21c%11(Preferred)
IPv4 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.3.79(Preferred)
Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : Tuesday, June 11, 2013 3:57:17 PM
Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : Wednesday, June 12, 2013 3:57:16 PM
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.3.1
DHCP Server . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.3.1
DHCPv6 IAID . . . . . . . . . . . : 234888544
DHCPv6 Client DUID. . . . . . . . : 00-01-00-01-19-49-54-22-00-1D-60-93-80-8E

DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 142.77.2.36
NetBIOS over Tcpip. . . . . . . . : Enabled

Tunnel adapter isatap.{A9346D95-3014-4DE4-9209-520EEC80CB72}:

Media State . . . . . . . . . . . : Media disconnected
Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Microsoft ISATAP Adapter
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-00-00-00-00-00-00-E0
DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : No
Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes

C:\Windows\system32>

My first question is....
Where are those DNS server addresses coming from? One seems to be in Switzerland somewhere and the other seems to be in Kansas somewhere here in the U.S.
And then....
Why isn't your router your primary DNS server? (192.168.3.1)

Last edited:
I also have the same error "Windows cannot communicate with the device or resource (primary DNS server)" and I'll assure you that this is only happening
while attempting to connect to comcast.net, my ISP. I have my hotsopt and it works just fine! I connect to my work's network without any problems.

This is due to ISPs downgrading your service to only be able to check your email and setting you up with very limited network access. I had Comcast come
out and they were claiming that it was because I have a magic jack phone, then it was because I have two PCs and my mobile phone. Then I showed them that
I have no problems connecting to my hotspot. I also showed them how much latancy there is when pinging their address comcast.net and all others have much
better results.

They say that they will send someone to check their capacity and cables in the area.

GRRRRRRR fking cumcast sucks!!!

Back