Windows Vista Windows Defender Error!

Dr Hydralisk

Link Removed due to 404 Error

Every time I try to turn on Windows Defender I get that error, I have tried restarting my computer but still not working. I believe this happened because I just uninstalled Norton Internet Security 2010. I have searched Google but nothing work, please help!

I remember when I had "Norton Security" installed there was a fight with Windows over Firewalls. I had to turn the Windows Firewall off. Maybe a firewall is blocking ?

What is your operating system, 7 RC or 7 fnal ? RC can be the problem.

NIS 2010 could have disabed Windows Defender and stopped its service. Uninstalling NIS did not necessarily turn the service back on.

1. Make sure that Windows Defender service is running:
Control Panel -> Administrative -> Services

2. Try system restore.
3. Updae your system.
4. If nothing helps, reinstall Windows Defender:

1) Click Start, Control Panel.
2) Click Add or Remove Programs.
3) Click Windows Defender, and click Remove.

This will uninstall Windows Defender. You can download and reinstall the updated version from the following link:

Microsoft Security Essentials is a big brother to Windows Defender. Have you considered installing it if you do not currently run and anti-virus type program?

What is your operating system, 7 RC or 7 fnal ? RC can be the problem.

NIS 2010 could have disabed Windows Defender and stopped its service. Uninstalling NIS did not necessarily turn the service back on.

1. Make sure that Windows Defender service is running:
Control Panel -> Administrative -> Services

2. Try system restore.
3. Updae your system.
4. If nothing helps, reinstall Windows Defender:

1) Click Start, Control Panel.
2) Click Add or Remove Programs.
3) Click Windows Defender, and click Remove.

This will uninstall Windows Defender. You can download and reinstall the updated version from the following link:

I am running Windows 7 64bit, and it says module cannot be found when I try to start the service, and there is no Windows Defender in the uninstall menu.

Microsoft Security Essentials is a big brother to Windows Defender. Have you considered installing it if you do not currently run and anti-virus type program?

I am all ready running it.

Link Removed - Invalid URL

But I guess I do not need to run it all, so never mind, thank you for the help guys.

Last edited:
Back