Windows error recovery not working

Discussion in 'Windows 7 Help and Support' started by kimbers93, Dec 21, 2014.

1. kimbers93

kimbers93 New Member

Dec 21, 2014
    Hi all, I had W7 on my PC, then partitioned the HD so I was able to dual boot with Ubuntu. Now I don't remember because it was a while ago but I'm nearly positive that after installing Ubuntu, I also used W7 and it worked. But I'm not 100% positive. I can still access the W7 HD from within Ubuntu though and successfully use all the files.

When I boot up and select windows from my OS list (it's last in the list), it goes to a list where the choices are "Launch startup repair" and "Start normally". If I choose the latter it shows me the W7 logo and loading screen, then abruptly goes reboots.

If I choose the former, it tries doing a "startup repair", and always fails, saying it "can't repair this computer automatically", and offers me the choice to send or not send info to MS. I can click "more info" though, which gives me some stuff:

Problem event name: startup repair offline
    Problem signature 01: 6.1.7600.16385
    Problem signature 02: 6.1.7600.16385
    Problem signature 03: unknown
    Problem signature 04: 21200140
    Problem signature 05: AutoFailover
    Problem signature 06: 7
    Problem signature 07: CorruptVolume
    OS version: 6.1.7601.
    Locale ID: 1033
    After this is done I have the choice to "view advanced recovery options" which gives me a list of 5 choices, like on this page. The "startup repair" option is what I've just done at this point. The "system restore" option is useless because I never made a restore point (I will in the future certainly). The "system image recovery" option is also useless because I don't have an image of it. I've done the "windows memory diagnostic" where I reboot the computer and it does something at a blue screen, but it didn't fix it.

What can I do? Please let me know if there's any other info I can get that would help.

Googling for a solution, I found this, but it's not very helpful because I don't have any install CD/DVDs; they just shipped it to me already installed.

Keep in mind though: I can access any files (such as logs or dumps) on the W7 HD from my Ubuntu partition that still works, so I also assume I could place any there, or change them, or whatever.

Is there anything I can do? Thanks!
  2. bassfisher6522

bassfisher6522 Essential Member

Aug 27, 2008
    This is one of the biggest reasons "TO NOT DUAL BOOT W/Linux" on a single HDD as it dorks up the MBR of windows partition. I prefer to setup a dual boot on separate HDD's and this keeps the MBR and GRUB separate.

Now have a look through this links, they will show you how to fix the MBR from with in the GRUB.
    Pauli likes this.
  3. Pauli

Pauli Extraordinary Member
    Premium Supporter

Mar 1, 2012
    I'm always suspect of pressing two tubes through one. With highest regards to everyone.