Windows 7 Windows explorer CD-ROM issue

need2boogie

Hello forum, I'm having an issue that I can't quite find a solution to. I'm writing a series of photo CD's, after I have completed the burn I go into Windows Explorer to click on the CD drive to view the contents to verify the disc write. But every time I do this Windows will ask me if I want to use the drive like a USB or CD /DVD drive. Which ever one I pick I still am unable to view the contents of the disc I just wrote. I can put the disc in my old XP machine and it will show the contents there. I'm just finding this very annoying, I should be able to click on the drive in Windows Explorer, verify the images are on the disc and move on to the next task. Since it will not show me these files it has added another step to my work flow. The exact opposite reason I upgraded to Windows 7. Would appreciate anybody how could shine some light on my dilemma. Thanks.

What are you using to burn the CDs? Are you finalizing the disc? The files you are burning are .jpg or are you burning as a Photo CD with special formatting?

After you take the disc out and put it back in you can still not see the photos?

I'm using a program called InfraRecorder. The files are all JPG, no special formating. The disc is finalized. Like I said, I can put the disc in my XP machine and everything shows up fine. On the Win 7 box I can't even see the images with my viewer ACDSee. **********THIS JUST IN********************** I just discovered the discrepancy. These discs had the JPG files written directly to the root. I just burned one with a folder and that allowed me to access the files in Windows Explorer. Although I would like to know why the other way doesn't work. Thanks.

need2boogie said:
I'm just finding this very annoying, I should be able to click on the drive in Windows Explorer, verify the images are on the disc and move on to the next task. Since it will not show me these files it has added another step to my work flow. The exact opposite reason I upgraded to Windows 7.

Have you tried it vice versa, burn it in 7 and then read it in XP ?

If this is not an upgrade issue, then I know from my own experience sometimes a disk that's been just burnt can be not readable for a while. It depends on the quality and state of the disk, the burner, and the software. Burning a disk to its maximum free space can also make it unreadable. You could try burning another (RW) disk to see if it makes any difference.

All the CD's in question I've burned have been on Win 7 machine. It seems the quick and easy fix is to always burn the JPG files by dragging the folder that contains the images instead of just dragging the photos. It seems Windows Explorer needs a folder to access so it can put the thumbnails or icons in the second pane and display the image in the larger display area. I guess I can deal with it. I just think you should be able to see the contents of the CD regardless if you use a folder on the disc or not. P.S. My 7 install was clean, not an upgrade. Thanks for taking the time.

I have attach some pictures. I burned the files using Win 7, so how your utility works might be different.

The first attachment, notice the comment about Win XP. You probably realize to finalize a disc you need to use the CD/DVD option. I do not really understand how you got this dialog box if you are not using Win 7 to burn.

The second attachment is the files ready to be burned with the DVD highlighted in Explorer.

The third attachment is the files after being burned and no folder is necessary to see them. Once again, the DVD is highlighted.

My bad on part of the explanation. I'm using a program called InfraRecorder to burn the disc but it's a program on my Win 7 machine. I didn't even realized I could burn a CD with my OS (old dogs new tricks ect.....) So any way I put in one of the CD's to take screen shot of what I was getting so I could show you and miraculously the files were now visible in Windows Explorer. The only thing I can think of that's different is that I don't have the CD writing program open that I mentioned. Not sure why that would cause a problem. Regardless I believe my thread is now moot. Again, thanks for taking the time.

Back