Windows 7 Windows Explorer defaults to libraries

muyoso

Windows 7 is the first Microsoft OS that I have used where the standard [Windows key + E] shortcut doesn't open up the standard [My Computer] screen, with the drives listed. Instead, it defaults to the new libraries screen. Its not the end of the world, but it is an annoyance to have to click down to computer every time you want to move files around. Is there a way to force Explorer to default to opening [Computer] and not [Libraries]? I have tried this both on a x64 install and a x86 install, both act the same.

Thanks in advance for your responses.

same here. I don't like to have libraries as defaults. I need my computer to be listed when keypressed windows + E.

why don't you just customize the library folder so that you DO like it? it's fully customizable as far as I know, so ...

yes it is customizible. but I just want to have computer as default since it is easier for me to access items in computer through computer than through libraries. And libraries woul remeber all my removable items even if those are not there.
I do like favourites, but libraries is something I can't get used to. I want that windows key + E starts my computer. Is that possible?

Starting Explorer from “My Computerâ€Â￾. If you spend more time manipulating files outside of the documents folders than inside, you might want to change the default starting directory for Windows Explorer so that it opens at the Computer node: To do this, navigate to Windows Explorer in the Start Menu (it’s in the Accessories folder). Then edit the properties and change the target to read:
%SystemRoot%\explorer.exe /root,::{20D04FE0-3AEA-1069-A2D8-08002B30309D}

solution was found here:
Tim Sneath : The Bumper List of Windows 7 Secrets

Or.....

If you don't like clicking on Windows Explorer in the Start Menu, and getting the "Libraries" view you can right-click on My Computer, choose open, double-click on the C: drive, navigate to the Windows folder and locate explorer.exe. Drag that file to the desktop, and choose Create shortcut here. Rename it to anything other than Windows Explorer.

Now right-click and choose properties and add this after the .exe.(If it's highlighted, click your mouse button after the .exe).

Now hit the space bar and type in /e,C: and choose Apply. Now drag that shortcut to the Start Button, let it expand until you see Accessories. and choose Move Here.

The line should look like this:
C:\windows\explorer.exe /e,C:

which opens your C: drive. You can change the C: to any other hard drive letter and have it open directly there.

I found out the Libraries feature is related to Windows Media Player, That's why I didn't name it Windows Explorer and overwrite the original

OR....Very simple way

Right-click on the desktop, choose personalize and check the box to show Computer on the desktop. Now all you have to do is right-click on that icon and choose open, givng you a view of all your drives.

Last edited by a moderator:
change to Favorites

wow this is fantastic, I'd love to change mine to Favorites what is the registry shortcut for that?

Back
Top Bottom