Windows 7 Windows Explorer Extremely Slow

Jim S

Honorable Member
Windows Explorer on my wife's computer (running W7 Home Premium and completely up to date with Windows Updates) takes 4 or 5 minutes to finish running right after a power-up boot. The hourglass icon seems to sit there forever, but the folders and files finally appear. Later, when running an Explorer-type function, such as saving a file in Word or opening a file in some other application, a long delay occurs again. Her computer hardware and software components are very similar to mine, and I never have this problem. She may have a few hundred more photo files than I have, but I can't identify any significant difference. During these long delays I've watched the Task Manager, and no appreciable amount of processor time is being used. Is there something I can monitor or log to find out where this time is being spent?

--Jim--

Under the Performance tab of Task Manager click on the "Resource Monitor" button. That will show you what your CPU, Disk, Network and Memory are doing along with what all the different processes are using.

I have similar problem. I even suspect why it is but : "Resource Monitor"= Disk and Network are over. What can I do? Windows explorer is not responding half a minute to draw the content of the directory or to start up the video from the right mouse click. Thanks for any idea!

Attachments

• My_comp.jpg
    My_comp.jpg
    150.7 KB · Views: 284
  • WE_not_responding.jpg
    WE_not_responding.jpg
    111.1 KB · Views: 258
What you say is, those values are over "normal"? Could you give a screenshot of the Taskbar?

====================================

Otherwise and further:
1. Run a thorough Anti Virus scan, plus a run with say, Malwarebytes Anti-Malware ---- Free Anti-Malware & Internet Security Software
2. Also run a check with CCleaner, CCleaner - Download --- default settings, under Cleaner > Advanced have the Old Prefetch Data ticked. After this analyze and fix is done, do a registry check with "fix all" - this has helped many.
3. Defrag, press Start button, type defrag in the search box, pick defrag, run it.
4. In case you have direct links to Web pages on your screen, get rid of them.

Restart after each step. Do not enter Internet. Install 1 and 2 before starting the procedure.

====================================

You do have Windows updates installed? Especially the security ones?

Don't know if this helps. Best wishes.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom